SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
douglasshuber

Best heat/insulation for living space above a garage

D H
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello, I am building a Master Suite (bedroom, walk in closet, bathroom) sitting room and laundry room over a 3 car garage and am wondering what's the best method to keep these rooms comfortable. I live in US climate zone 5 (Pennsylvania). (I've been scared by lots of people mentioning it will be cold in the winter and hot int eh summer)

Garage is not heated and will have 2x6 walls (R-23 Rockwool) and potentially a 2-3 inch continuous insulation outside the wall sheathing (approx an additional R-10). House (also 2x6 walls with R-23 and potential continuous insulation) is currently heated/cooled with a 4.5 ton geothermal unit. I'm not sure if the geo unit will be able to hand an additional 1000 sq ft for heating and cooling, and it will have to make a pretty long run to get to the farthest room (maybe 40 feet) (anybody know about how many sq ft a 4.5 ton unit can heat/cool?)

I was thinking:

1. Installing Rockwool insulation in the floor joists. They are 2x12s, so I can get two of the 2x6 batts in (R-23 each) giving me R-46. Will this be enough to keep the floor warm/rooms comfortable? (I could probably add another 2 inches of continuous insulation below the garage's drywall ceiling if I need more R value - that would get me to R-56.

2. Insulate the garage ceiling as mention above and add electric radiant heat to the floors above the garage. Seems expensive to install, and I'm wondering how much it will cost a year to run. (maybe the geo will just need a little help in the cold months)

3. Insulate the garage ceiling as mentioned and install ductless mini splits in the rooms to provide heat (and cooling). I'm thinking install cost of 5 mini splits will be about the same as the radiant floor heat? But is this cheaper to run? Will I need to extra cooling capacity as well?

4. Put in a separate central heat/air for to handle all of these rooms (if the geo isn't sufficient), not sure I like the look of mini splits...

5. Heat the garage to 50, to 60 degrees. Seems like a waste of energy/money as I rarely use the garage. But it may not be too expensive - I've never seen the garage go below 40's except perhaps in rare negative temp days. I've never seen it below freezing. (The water from the house will potentially run through the garage ceiling - should the garage be conditioned to prevent them from freezing, or will the R-46 ceiling be good enough if the pipes are kept closer to the livable floor vs garage ceiling?

I could heat this will a mini split, a 220 electric heather, or a pellet stove (are pellet stoves a pain? can any of the heat from a pellet stove be transfer to the upstairs portion?)

Any help is appreciated!

Comments (10)