SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crcb_itunes

Replaced an old exterior junction box then three circuits lost power

crcb_itunes
6 years ago

Hey guys,

Thanks for taking a look at this. I just bought a house and I'm over my head a bit. I went to replace an exterior light fixture, but the old 40s junction box didn't fit the new mounting plate. So a friend of mine who wired his own basement years ago came by and changed it for me while I was at work. I came home to multiple circuits in the house not powering lights, including the exterior light circuit.

We checked the breakers and they had not tripped, and still had power running out of them on toward the circuits that have cold outlets and switches. The breaker is new, but all the wiring in the boxes I've opened up in the cold parts of the house is from the 40s (and has no power). The new wiring was likely put in when the basement was developed as well as kitchen and bathroom update.

So my buddy is guessing there's some sort of sub panel or pony panel that collects some of the old wiring and changes it over to the new wiring somewhere in the basement, but I have a tenant and would like to exhaust other probable possibilities before going to disturb her. I think it may have had something to do with the junction box replacement work he did. Any ideas?

Thanks again,

C

Comments (16)