SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
naturelle_gw

routing of circuits

17 years ago

I'm finally starting to run the cirsuits in the second storey, replacing old wiring, adding and changing receptacles. I have two bedrooms and a bathroom with lights and recepltacles. I've decided to go for 3 separate circuits for each of the rooms, 12/2, as an allowance for the future. I'm aware of the need for GFCI for the bathroom and AFCI breakers for the bedrooms.

I presume there is no problem in running three feeders from the basement through the single 1" diameter hole drilled through the plates in the walls which extend the two storeys to the attic? Do I have to plug the spaces around the wires, or install some kind of bushing to hold the wires at the plates, or is it OK as is?

I'll stack the wires and staple them, at least at the tops and bottoms of the walls, near the ceilings and floors (the walls are stud and plaster)..is it necessary to staple at mid-heights of the walls?

Once I get to the attic, which is the best way to run the circuits? Say there is a ceiling light and 5 receptacles scattered around each bedroom. Should I run each feeder to its individual junction box and then drop to the lights, switches and receptacles in the rooms? Or should I daisy chain the circuits from receptacle to receptacle, switch, light?

I'm leaning to the individual JB's.

I would appreciate your suggestions on this.

Thanks,

Ted

Comments (3)