SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saunders64_gw

New island - Routing lines?

saunders64
16 years ago

I'm building a new island in an expanded kitchen. The island will need electrical, gas, water and drain lines.

Finished kitchen will have acid stained polished concrete floors. If you've done something similiar, please share your experience/advise/cautions. Thanks!

The island is located 8-10'from the edge of the foundation. Current plan is to run services from the outside edge. Need some guidance on the pros and cons of alternative approaches. There does not appear to be any acceptable way to bring in services from above.

Having foundation evaluated. It appears to be pre-tensioned post and cable slab. Soils are the black, vitreous clay gumbo of Houston, TX near the coast.

Option 1

"Trench" foundation". Not sure if this involves completely cutting through the slab or removing 2-3" of material without cutting through.

Option 2

"Tunnel" underneath slab. Place rigid conduit in place and bore 6" hole in slab where services are needed

I'm leaning strngly toward tunneling but want to make sure its an informed decision. I'll look forward to hearign your comments!

Comments (4)