SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yeonassky

Do you use hands free on your cell phone for driving?

yeonassky
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I'm trying to set up my cell phone to be hands free for driving. Right now if I get lost I pull over and turn on the gps on my cell. I don't have a car one.

I'm wondering if you find it distracting or manageable. I can't wait for driver-less cars by the way!

Comments (86)

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

I think you're right Rob in describing the danger for many users of glancing at the display. For me, I've been using GPS for so long that a glance at the large displays I have (maybe 3 x the size of a phone) is less distracting than glancing at the speedometer.

Chisue yes, lots of miles were driven before GPS. Lots of people also got lost in unfamiliar places and made abrupt turns and lane changes, or even stopped on roads, when trying to find their way. Like so many things that modern technology has improved, I wouldn't want to go back in time.

• Chi
    6 years ago

I'm with you, Rob. I listen to my phone GPS and keep it in the cup holder as well. I think the built-in screens are a distraction.

• Related Discussions

cell phones charges-what do you pay?

Q

Comments (23)
    Yes, you absolutely cannot trust coverage maps. According to all the major carriers we have 3G/4G here, and we actually don't have any service at all. In the winter when the tourists come, it's like that old "can you hear me now?" commercial outside in the parking lot. I'm actually pleased about this. I have a real dumbphone (not even texting), prepaid, for $100 a year, landline plus internet for $104 a month (I'm jealous of your rate, oakleyok), and then for traveling I have a mifi which costs $5 only in the months when I use it, plus a fairly high per MB charge, but since I only use it occasionally in the car or when I'm in a place where there's no wifi network, that comes to about $50 a year.
    ...See More

A (Personal) Case for NO Cell Phone Use While Driving

Q

Comments (17)
    A quick update on Mike . . . he's been released from the hospital, had his front 4 teeth wired back in by an oral surgeon, who thinks he can save them, had his broken hand set and casted and his broken jaw wired/set. He's covered with scrapes and bruises, but he's alive! My sweet sister has picked up his bike from the fire station that was storing it, has already spent hours on the phone with her insurance company, which has waived her deductible and that's going well. She's missed several days of work without pay, which she couldn't afford, but had to, and has met with the police about the driver's insurance, etc. That info I haven't heard yet. So, things are slowly getting back to normal for them. Thank you for all your kind words and prayers for my nephew, Mike. I's my hope that if anything positive has been gained from my posting it here, it's that: 1) we all are reminded that even good people, like the guy who hit Mike ~ or any of us ~ can make one foolish mistake (like texting, dialing or talking while driving) that could result in terrible, hurtful consequences. 2) that we make sure that we (and our loved ones) program I.C.E. phone numbers into our cell phones, just in case. I'm so glad that Mike did! 3) and, if you or your loved ones bike, use bike helmets! Mike didn't and paid a high price for not wearing his. Again, many thanks for your kindness! Lynn
    ...See More

Do you think cell phones cause cancer?

Q

Comments (24)
    Aspergers & Autism were mentioned; IMO we've always had it; it's just that they can diagnose a name now. My friends son is diagnosed; I bet a million dollars her deaf hub has it too & it's more apparent now that the world has gotten so fast paced. They were able to function back in the day because life was simpler. As technology has grown; her hub has gotten more withdrawn. Schooling has changed as well. Kindergarten is nothing like it used to be; they're thrown into a new way of life & expected to be able to sit & work. Schools make it hard to not medicate an ADHD kid & depending on the school & child; they may also be on antipsychotics which will come with their own risks as the child grows. As for cancer & other things; I don't doubt environment plays a part. I've suspected dental xrays for a while. I think with some cancers; their better at diagnosing earlier; such as the leukemias. They also know that HPV causes many cancers. We eat foods grown with who knows what; then there is the employees that harvest said crop (or foods).. Some use contract crews; meaning workers here with green cards; they could be in the fields peeing on the blueberry bushes. I worked with them for a plant nursery; things they do in their country are still done here... I know my dads Leukemia was caused by the chemicals at our gas station. We used to get the chemicals all over us. We'd spray our hands down with it to get the grease off. I've had the gas pump give me showers; had oil drip all over me; same with antifreeze. Then there is Oxygenated gasoline which has always scared the heck out of me. I hated to breathe it; used to give me headaches. I will not be surprised if it bites me in the rear one day. Some of us used to slather baby oil & go lay out; of course this comes with a price too. They're seeing people with lung issues from it. The skin is porous; anything we touch; or use- lotions; baby oil; hair dye; even makeup- it's absorbed by the skin. Mineral Oil - Good For Skin ? then there is Petroleum Jelly on Your Face? - Think about these things with newborn babies & if you want to make yourself even crazier; what is in disposable diapers that gels up when wet? Does it make more sense that younger people are being diagnosed with cancers? I also feel that some are genetics; even when it did not run in families; it's possible that 2 people carrying dormant genes had kids that will have issues; like the Ehlors Danlos. I'm pretty sure both my parents had it; but it did not affect them the way it is me & my daughter.
    ...See More

Scary cell phone battery story........so I need some cell phone advice

Q

Comments (20)
    This isn't a phone brand issue ... this is a battery issue. I've had a Macbook battery that did a partial melt ... my ipad battery is having issues ... my sister had a macbook battery that also charred ... so you should all probably get rid of your Apple products too! My son was also recently having battery issues with his Google phone overheating. Again, this is a battery technology issue. My husband is into remote control planes and he charges most of his batteries in special heat/explosion resistant containers. Just the nature of the technology. I'll continue to buy ipads and I'll continue to buy Samsung phones. My son will probably buy another Google phone. When you look at the total number of phones that have sold worldwide, the number of defective products is very small. I even owned the infamous Samsung Note 7, mine had no issues, but were still recalled. I've owned the Samsung Galaxy 7 without issues and will probably upgrade soon to a Note 9 or Galaxy 10, or wait for the Note 10 later this year.
    ...See More
  • User
    6 years ago

I really don't use my phone as a phone, but I do have a Bluetooth earphone and my AirPods which can also be used to talk on the phone with. Where my Bluetooth is, I have no idea but the charger is beside me.......... I find when I do talk on the phone with my Bluetooth on, I am not as focused on the road as I should be. Yet I can talk to someone beside me and drive fine. So I prefer my phone go to voice mail then I call back the caller when I get home. I'm also one of those people who never use my phone in the store unless it's to call someone to say, "hey! They don't have what you want, what else can I get you?", never to say, "so..........whatcha up to?" lol

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

I made the mistake of being on the back roads behind the high school as school let out. It's a narrow country road anyway, and I see a car coming at me, crossing into my lane, so I lean on the horn. It's a teen texting while driving. He looks up, swerves back into his own land and proceeds to keep texting! Now wouldn't a normal person realize how close he came to getting creamed and stop the texting at least for a minute or two to digest what happened? But of course teens are not normal people...they're teens.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

PLEASE let's keep texting and talking on the phone hands-free from being the same conversation! One need not take ones eyes off the road at all to use hands-free on most cars - there is a button on my steering wheel and all I do is push it and say "Call John Smith's mobile" and it does the rest. With my car-installed Navigation, I tell it the address - did this just this AM when I had to take my dog to a specialty vet's office in a different part of town. There is a map on a screen the size of a small iPad that I can glance at - it is not different than looking at the speedometer.

As for most people think they are above average drivers, well, I guess they may well be as they may not have had any accidents in many, many years. Some people are better drivers than others! I have friends who I prefer never to ride with - I"ll always suggest we take MY car, and this is not just since I've gotten old (with one friend it is). I've been driving since I got my permit at age 14 in KS - so that's 60 years. I've driven in the UK multiple times. In all that time, I've had about 5 accidents, all of which the police and insurance companies declared were the fault of the OTHER driver.

My DGS1 got his permit back in April. He's scheduled to take his driving test for his "Provisional License) on Dec 11. I'm not sure he will pass. He has tons of highway driving experience and is pretty good on the interstate, but his around town driving still leaves much to be desired. I'm very surprised as he has both small and large motor skills that are WAY above average - he intends to play a sport in college. And he's very, very bright. But driving has not come naturally to him. No, he will NOT be taking a car with him to college!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    6 years ago

chi, do you mean it's safer to look at maps and printed directions than any other method? I hope not! Looking down is distracted driving. Regardless of the tool distracting you. I hated pulling over and reading the directions. So much slower. Safe, but slow.

It's so much easier to have my "copilot" telling me what I should be looking for. Even if it does get it wrong. I was in the parking lot of the place I'd been searching on Sunday, and the GPS was telling me to make a U-turn. Son and I just looked at each other and laughed! Um, we're here maps, so off you go now.

• Chi
    6 years ago

No, rob, I meant that looking at anything other than the road is distracting. I think that listening to GPS is the only safe navigation alternative.

I don't know how people can compare looking at a map to a speedometer. A speedometer is a (hopefully) 2 digit number almost directly in the line of vision. Gps has maps, locations, written directions. You look at the next direction which includes a left or right, the name of the street, and the distance to the action. It's far more reading and it's not in line of sight as much as the speedometer.

• chisue
    6 years ago

You may *think* you are somehow superior to the people who failed driving tests while talking on a cell phone, hands-free. hahaha

OK, let's give you that, untrue as it is. Let's focus on 'the other guy' who is having a conversation while driving.

If you don't know where you are going, you are not 'glancing' at the GPS as you 'glance' in your mirrors. You are engaging your eyes and your mind *away from* the road ahead of you. Tests prove this.

Did you also fight seat belt laws? Do you think you -- or the other guy -- can have a couple of drinks and drive 'just fine'?

It is not an exaggeration to say that the use of these petty conveniences is causing accidents that kill and maim. It's steadily getting worse.

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

Good grief! We've gone from perfectly legal hands-free talking on the phone, to Navigation, which is built-in in many cars, to using seat belts and DWI? That's a bit of a leap, don't you think? If using a phone hands-free becomes against the law, I won't do it. I don't see Navigation going away or being outlawed. Since most give verbal instructions, one only glances at it to see how far the next turn is, and yes, it is a very quick glance as one would do in a rear view mirror. It's not down on the seat, it's not small - mine is on a huge screen. I HAVE seen people trying to read directions or a map while driving and that IS unsafe!

I used seat belts long before they were mandatory and ones car made beeps if they were not being used, and I can't imagine anyone thinking that DWI is fine. I will have one glass of wine with a meal and drive home a couple of hours later, but as I've aged, that's it for me as my tolerance for alcohol has changed with age. For the average person, two drinks and then drive IS legal in this country, even if not is some countries in Europe. If they ban it here, I'll forego my one glass of wine.

Please stop the assumptions and exaggerations. You have your opinions and you're entitled to them, but you need not make outrageous accusations.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

PLEASE let's keep texting and talking on the phone hands-free from being the same conversation!

All of it is distracted driving andall of it is dangerous. It has a lot less to do with whether one's hands are on the wheel and a whole lot more to do with where the brain is focused. If the brain is focused on conversation, it can't process all the visual and other information. Using a cell while driving is the equivalent of drunk driving, regardless of if it's hands free or not. Texting while driving is worse, and worse still is voice to text.

If using a phone hands-free becomes against the law, I won't do it.

The fact that talking hands-free is not illegal won't matter if you're in an accident and you or someone else is severely injured or killed.

• Elmer J Fudd
    6 years ago

Annie, the page you linked to says "hands free isn't risk free". The same can be said about driving, it isn't risk free either.

I got my first hands free car phone in 1984. Yes, no typo. I'm experienced with it and using a GPS and for me neither is distracting. I've seen some people walking in grocery stores with a phone and walk into displays and shelves. Yes, mostly women, so I know for others it's possibly a different story. Maybe there should be a special test and licensing?

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

If hands-free phone use is as horribly dangerous as you say, Annie, then one certainly wonders why on earth practically all cars are equipped with it today, and insurance rates are not higher for such. If you're uncomfortable driving and talking, then don't, but for many of us, it's just not a problem. I think the insurance industry gets the last word on this one.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

My car has built in GPS in a screen that is on the dash to the right. It also displays simultaneously where the speedometer usually is, but I turn that display off and use only the other screen (as I need the digital speedometer displayed). I put in the address before I leave home and it talks me through the directions. But it also has a side display that shows how far to the next turn and which direction I'll be turning. I do glance at it once in a while, just to get an idea where I'll be heading. And it literally takes no longer or is more distracting than glancing at my speedometer. I've never figured out the GPS on my iphone, as I've never needed it.

I will sometimes talk on the phone hands free when I am on the freeway, stuck in traffic or sailing on the open road. My attention is always on the road and sometimes, if something is happening that needs my extra full attention, I just pause all conversation and concentrate on the road. Recently, I was 2nd car behind a car on the freeway whose hood flew up/open, effectively blinding the driver. The car ahead of me didn't see it as quickly as I did, I started pumping my brakes to alert those behind me, because I knew there was going to either be a huge wreck or the blinded driver was going to try to pull over (also a potential for a big wreck). Finally the driver ahead of me saw the problem and swerved to miss the problem car, which was now trying to pull to the side. Other cars were blowing by us, oblivious to the problem until they were almost hit by the car trying to get to the side. It was so scary. I was on the phone at the time and simply quit talking.

If I am in a confusing situation, where I have to make a turn or some other action on the road and am talking hands-free, I simply say, I'll call you back, bye. I don't hang up because that takes my eyes from the road, but usually the other party will hang up and disconnect the call. I just stop talking. It's pretty simple. Am I over confident? I don't think so. I do feel confident tho' that I know what my limitations and strengths are. No accidents ever that have been my fault or avoidable.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

...but for many of us, it's just not a problem...

From the national safety council:

Most people can recognize
    when they are visually or mechanically distracted
    and seek to disengage from these activities as
    quickly as possible. However, people typically do not
    realize when they are cognitively distracted, such as
    taking part in a phone conversation; therefore, the
    risk lasts much, much longer. This likely explains
    why researchers have not been able to find a safety
    benefit to hands-free phone conversations.

The National Safety Council has compiled more than
    30 research studies and reports by scientists around
    the world that used a variety of research methods,
    to compare driver performance with handheld and
    hands-free phones. All of these studies show handsfree
    phones offer no safety benefit when driving
    (Appendix A). Conversation occurs on both handheld
    and hands-free phones. The cognitive distraction
    from paying attention to conversation – from listening
    and responding to a disembodied voice –
    contributes to numerous driving impairments...

The well-documented article linked above does a good job of laying out the issues with cognitive distraction, how the brain can't multitask, how much time it takes to switch the brain from one activity to the other, inattention blindness where the brain literally can't register what it sees, like a red light or a pedestrian in the road, etc.

Moreover, our brains don't know what they don't know. In other words, we are unaware of the information loss from distraction as the brain doesn't know what it missed:

Furthermore, due to how our brains filter information,
    as discussed earlier, we are never aware of the
    information that was filtered out. This may add
    to the lack of awareness of our limitations. Some
    researchers have studied whether distracted
    drivers are aware of their decrease in safe driving
    performance. Findings show distracted drivers may
    not be aware of the effects of cognitive distraction
    and using cell phones while they are driving.71-74
    Also, drivers perceived they were safer drivers when
    using hands-free phones, but actually showed
    decreased performance while using hands-free
    phones.75 One study found drivers who thought
    the task was easy tended to perform the worst.

[emphasis mine]

Their conclusion: Driving while talking on cell phones – handheld and
    hands-free – increases risk of injury and property
    damage crashes fourfold.

You're an adult. You can make whatever risk calculation you want. I would prefer that all drivers make that choice being well informed of the risk for everyone's sake. The odds are you aren't more capable at distracted driving than anyone else even though you may think you are, that you are increasing your risk of accident by 4 fold, that the presence of laws or insurance policies aren't going to protect you from that increased risk, and the life you take may not just be your own.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Re insurance policies, just because it isn't explicit doesn't mean it's not happening:

Since 2011, the average insurance premium has jumped 16 percent to $926. Insurance companies say the sharp spike is partly caused by more drivers distracted on their smartphones and getting into accidents.

More than 40,000 people died on the road last year — up 14 percent since 2014 — the sharpest rise in 53 years. And distraction-related deaths were up almost 9 percent in 2015, according to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

• sprtphntc7a
    6 years ago

yes i find hands free talking manageable. use it often.

if your car is equipped with the feature its better than holding your phone and hand dialing the number.

before i had that feature i hated talking on the phone since i had to hold it. i just let it go voicemail. i never text, that to me is SO dangerous. not on FB so don't have to check the feed every minute like so many do.

i do notice that traffic doesn't move as it should b/c people are always looking down at their phone, which makes me bonkers. i see it a lot when i am behind the idiot who is looking at their phone & of course i am blowing my horn!!

• marylmi
    6 years ago

Hmm, sounds like some might be more comfortable going back to the horse and buggy! Mackinac Island comes to mind although they do have cell phones there and may be a distraction when working the reins...... but maybe if you worked at it, you could get those banned too. :-)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

marylmi, make fun if you wish, but remember, science doesn't care whether you believe in it or not.

• lgmd_gaz
    6 years ago

The above posts of sprtphntc7A and olychick have me livid! How dare they ignore all the studies and warnings of the dangers of distracted driving, be it hands free or otherwise. So far, you have just been lucky. I sincerely hope your luck holds out and you aren't involved in an accident that injures or kills yourself or a loved one. Worse yet, injures or kills me or my loved ones.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

A most disturbing, all too realistic psa on distracted driving from the UK.

• marylmi
    6 years ago

Annie., I wasn't making fun. It was just an attempt at a solution. Otherwise how would you police every single car on the highway.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

marylmi, you can't. Any more than you can police every single car for drunk driving or even who is driving while drowsy. However, with awareness, you can change people's behavior. MADD has been very successful in raising awareness around drunk driving, and we need to do the same with distracted driving...perhaps maybe more so because I'm sure there are people who would never even consider getting behind the wheel drunk, but who talk or text behind the wheel on a regular basis without realizing the risks are the same.

• marylmi
    6 years ago

My concern is drunk driving. Its too bad that a device hasn't been installed on every vehicle where your breath was tested and it wouldn't start otherwise. Too many people drinking and driving out there!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

marylmi, even that would have to be an ongoing test. Nothing to stop someone from having someone else start the car or start drinking after they've started the engine. The problem is the ubiquity of cell phone use though...it makes it a much tougher issue to deal with.

It's crazy how I drove around everywhere without a cell phone before they became popular. Now I won't leave the house without one. But it stays in the purse, even when ringing, until I can stop safely to answer it. I can always call them back. There's nothing anyone can say to me that is so critical in that moment that it can't wait so that I don't become someone else's critical problem.

• User
    6 years ago

“It makes sense that the people who use the features will be the ones defending them. After all, most people consider themselves to be above-average drivers despite the statistical impossibility!”

Really? If you drove as much as I do and live in the area I live in, you would consider yourself to be “capable” and say it’s not a problem too. Maybe, just maybe, demographics and the natural driving habits of people play a bigger part than anyone is considering. When I lived in SoCal where every road is packed and most people are driving up the A$$ of the guy in front of them, sure, maybe cell phone use isn’t the best idea. But lucky for me, I no longer live in those conditions. When I’m on the road, our roads and freeways are wide open and talking while driving is not a tough task.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

When I’m on the road, our roads and freeways are wide open and talking while driving is not a tough task.

Ask Jack Young, the 20 yr old who was texting on a rural TX road when he crashed into a church bus and killed 13 people.

Not sure what demographics you have in mind in your comment, lukkiirish...too old? too young? too urban? too rural?

• Chi
    6 years ago

I never said it's difficult to talk on the phone while driving. Of course it's not. However, It is more distracting than not talking on the phone while driving. That's not really debatable.

It's clear that people who do this feel that they are not any more distracted, which ties into my point that most people also believe themselves to be better than average drivers.

Texting is much worse, but you see the same mindset there. They believe they are "capable" and can handle doing it and people who can't are just bad drivers.

I want to drive on roads where everyone is completely focused on driving. Not on the phone, not texting, not eating or putting on makeup. There would be far less accidents.

• C Marlin
    6 years ago

I don't see that anyone has defended texting while driving, why bring it into this discussion of talking hands free while driving?

• Chi
    6 years ago

Texting while driving is far more dangerous, but it's also under the same category of distracted driving. Hands free talking is legal but personally I only believe that it's legal as a concession, because people are determined to stay connected no matter what, and hands free is much safer than fumbling with the device.

Legal does not always mean safe. It's legal to drive with a small amount of alcohol in your blood. Is that as safe as driving without alcohol? No. That's how I think of hands free talking. Legal but still more of a distraction than not doing it at all.

• User
    6 years ago

Annie, my point was that IMO, it’s not so black and white, that someone in New York or Los Angeles may have more to consider, it’s certainly different from driving in light traffic. And you can’t compare a 20 year old driver with an adult in her 50’s whose been driving since she was 16. The two have very different maturity and experience levels and insurance premiums prove that point. But, maybe the road conditions are different too, rural doesn’t always mean a straight well paved road in sunny conditions. If it’s storming or the road is full of curves or snow, then it adds to the risk and one has to take that into consideration (and I do). I’m a seasoned driver, I live in a rural neck of the woods where it isn’t bumper to bumper traffic and my driving history reflects that I’m a responsible driver. There are ALWAYS going to be people who shouldn’t do certain things, when other people are perfectly capable, that’s a given. I love music, but I find it to be distracting, so no music for me, but just because I don’t feel comfortable with music or even an audio book, doesn’t mean that everyone should stop playing music or listening to a story. I hate guns and feel strongly about how they should be regulated. I feel they are dangerous and some of the statistics back that up, but others feel differently and where it’s legal, guns are a given. It’s really about knowing your limits and making good decisions for your own situation.

Edited to clarify my thoughts.

• chisue
    6 years ago

Fact: Driving while distracted by having a conversation on a cell phone is dangerous to you and to everyone else around you. It doesn't matter whether you are holding a phone or not. What matters is that your mind is not entirely focused on driving. It doesn't matter where you're driving -- on a side road or an expressway.

Fact: We cannot stop some driver distractions like talking to a passenger, reading, applying makeup, etc.

Fact: There is technology in use today that blocks cell phone signals to moving vehicles. It's in use by trucking companies and other concerns who recognize the financial LIABILITY.

There is nothing 'old fashioned' about citing a documented concern with something new as it becomes widespread. New things come with positives -- and often negative aspects that have to be refined. Early automobiles had a LOT of safety issues. Here is a recent one.

• sprtphntc7a
    6 years ago

Immd_gaz, if you are so livid at me and Olychick, at least have the guts to call out everyone else on this thread who uses their phone!

here's the list to help you out:

anglophilia, pkramer60, outside playing, kris-zone6, marylmi, watchmelol, elmer, jakkom and lukkirish.

• User
    6 years ago

Sprtphntc7a - Ummmm, that’s LUKKIIRISH and you can call me out all you want, but at least get it right when you do. I use my blue tooth, the phone stays in the front pocket of my bag.

Chisue, think about your facts the next time you have a passenger sitting in your car. I feel a lot more distracted when someone next to me is talking away and expects me to engage as if I have nothing more important to do. The only thing worse IMO is a car load of people or kids. If I have to have a conversation with someone, I’d much rather it be without them sitting right next to me. At least that way I have some control over the situation and can easily say I need to go. For some reason with a telephone call, no one is ever offended when you say traffic has changed and I need to hang up.

• sprtphntc7a
    6 years ago

Lukkiirish, please re-read my first paragraph.

my apologies for not spelling your name correctly.

• User
    6 years ago

In addition to being able to speak while I drive, I can read too. She posted before we did, so you had to throw our names into the pot with you kind of like a school kid caught with her hand in the cookie jar. It really doesn’t matter though, I know myself, and am fine with my choices and that’s all that really matters.

• lgmd_gaz
    6 years ago

sprpthntc7a, you are right in calling out my omission of others names who are as thick headed as you and Olychick on what is safe to do while driving. I was just too lazy to go all the way back and reread all the posts and collect the names.. But the two of you did impress me with your 'holier than thou' attitude on the matter the best.

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    6 years ago

No, I drive and talk all I want. Not going to change. Of course you all know I do not drive anything but my golf cart around my property. It is known as my "big rig".

Sue

• chisue
    6 years ago

lukkiirish -- Cell phone transmission to moving vehicles can be halted. We can do this. Corporations are doing this because they SEE that the problem is REAL, and they want to avoid the financial consequences.

We can't hush your chatty passenger or a car full of kids, but transmissions can be halted.

• User
    6 years ago

Commercially, sure....privately, I doubt it will ever happen unless as with drunk driving, someone does something to justify the action and that’s their punishment. Chicago may feel differently, but I seriously doubt the county I reside in in Michigan would be on board with that.

ETA: I see guns as a much bigger problem.

• lucillle
    6 years ago

There has to be a way to selectively block transmissions, transmissions to police, ambulances and etc. are necessary.

• Chi
    6 years ago

The problem is that passengers will complain if they can't use their devices. Plus with our bribable public officials, the cell phone providers won't let that happen. Too much valuable data usage happens on the go.

I'd love if they blocked it in cars. It would be nice not to worry about driving near someone talking on the phone or texting.

• yeonassky
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Did I say I can't wait for driver-less cars! I have to focus on driving. It's crowded and dangerous out there. And I drive too much these days. Stay safe everyone.

• Olychick
    6 years ago

I really was taken aback by the "holier than thou" take on my post. I sure don't feel that way, nor did I intend to come off that way. Hands free is legal in my state, however, the law now prohibits any contact with your cell, even when stopped in traffic. I've never used my cell in the car, I never look at texts and certainly wouldn't text myself. If hands free were illegal, I wouldn't do it. I never used my phone in the car before I had hands free and it is really a rare occasion when I do now - maybe to let someone know I'm stuck in traffic or running late. I have one route I take on a 2 lane country highway to my cabin, with long stretches of open road and sometimes I will talk to a friend for an extended period, but that, too, is rare.

I am careful about when and where I talk, not on unfamiliar roads or when traffic seems to be erratic. I do feel like I am a super aware driver, I drive defensively. The same with my GPS...I always put in the address before I start moving and it talks me through maneuvers. I do glance at the dash display to see what the next move is going to be and how far away it is, but like I said above, it's no more of a glance than at my speedometer.

I guess you can be livid if you want. I hope you don't ever turn on your car radio, or change the station or listen to the news. For some people that could be a big distraction and time with your eyes off the road. Same with smokers who light up while driving. Or people who drink their lattes, or even sip from water bottles. Only one hand available to control your car. I think it's a spectrum of distractions and abilities.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

Awhile back, they did a study with a dash cam recording drivers over several months including what they were doing when they had near misses or accidents. One of the surprising and frequent distractions that led to accidents was reaching for something. So if you accidentally spill your purse on the car floor or drop something, leave it.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    6 years ago

I steer hands free, that's is why I have knees. I do not own a cell phone.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

We seldom use our cell phones, and never would I while driving, hands-free or not.

I sometimes accidentally activate Blue-Tooth in my car, and then I yell at it to Go Back or Off or whatever it takes to turn it off.

I'm lousy at multi-tasking, and I believe most people are, though they won't admit it. When I'm working, and talking on the phone, and I get a chat message from a supervisor, I can't respond to that, and talk at the same time.

When I talk to people who are in their car, I usually tell them I'll call them back, even though they're comfortable with talking to me, on their bluetooth.

• User
    6 years ago

Really Imgd? Look whose calling the kettle black! What a joke!

• marylmi
    6 years ago
    1. THe CD player was a bigger distraction than hands free calling. Of course they are being phased out but not because of accidents phone transmissions will never be stopped to moving private vehicles , you can be sure of that.
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    6 years ago

marylmi, do you have any cite for that statement re CD players more distracting than cell phones?

• marylmi
    6 years ago

Annie, common sense tells me that they were. How could they not be? Much safer to tap the screen than it is to search through your CD's trying to find the one you want to play and I am sure most people didn't pull over to do that.