SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lexma90

Suggestions for an Urban House

lexma90
6 years ago

We are empty nesters, and will now be building an "infill" house in our city. We have started the search for an architect & builder (though we have one of each in mind that I really like). But for fun, as we figure this out, I would be interested in seeing what ideas or suggestions you have for either of the main floor plans below for two different (but obviously similar) houses that a more production-type builder has on offer. Note that while one plan looks wider than the other, I have been told that they are the same width, but the wider-looking plan is about two feet longer. There will be a detached garage at the back of the lot.

Our desires: good use of space; stairs like in the plans, with a landing; combined living and dining (a divider-type wall, maybe with the fireplace in it, would be nice, but likely we don't have room for it); office for me and my projects; would prefer a front entry that does not open right into the main area (due to cold winter air); a 3/4 bath on the main floor in case my office is ever needed as a bedroom, which would also mean that it would be better to have the bathroom next to the office; single door on the office. Somewhere for a coffee bar type of setup, for hubby's large espresso machine.

Design style preference is mostly modern, though I like Frank Lloyd Wright's horizontal windows, and the horizontal feel generally of his houses.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio