SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
displacedclevelander_gw

Suggestions needed: urban neighborhood grocery garden

Hello! Seeking your feedback and suggestions with this.. Definitely need your help here.

OK, here's the back story: Volunteering to create a garden space for an urban grocery store in Kansas City. The current closest grocery store in this inner city neighborhood is 7 miles away (most people in this neighborhood don't have a car). This grocery will provide families access to healthful foods. They will be breaking ground this spring. Part of the grocery store, there will be a garden to provide the area with a nice greenspace to enjoy. We will be creating this green space at the end of the month to get some excitement around the project.

The area is full sun. As far as upkeep is concerned, a local landscaping company has committed to maintaining this area for its first 3 years (in addition to nearby neighborhood associations) with weekly waterings (as needed), pruning and fertilizing. If I find a rose that I am comfortable will be a good fit, I will be meeting with the landscape company and the neighborhood associations to make sure they know how to care for the roses.

Would love to add some roses to this green space. Should also mention that I really dislike Knockout Roses. I just feel like they are so overused, their bloom is not that beautiful (nice from a distance though) and they have no fragrance. That said, I realize why they are so popular.. They are so low maintenance and disease resistant!

Here's my question: Are there any rose varieties that are low maintenance (disease resistant-- this is important), fast growing, and either have a hybrid tea shaped bloom or cabbage shaped bloom that are not of a Knockout variety? Fragrance would be a plus but not a necessity.

And if you only think that a Knockout would work, I'm OK with that but would prefer to have something different. Would really love to get some roses here because I think that there needs to be more roses in the world, and help others fall in love with them like I have. But if you all don't think that there's something that would flourish, be honest-- I want to see this green space do well.

Comments (10)