SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carriebor

Urban Stormwater Planters - plant suggestions sought

16 years ago

My city is working on a project that will install urban stomwater planters along city streets. The planters will have about 18" depth of planting materials. Portland, Oregon recently completed such a project, and some inspiration and ideas came from there, though growing conditions in Philadelphia will be considerable drier than they are in the Pacific northwest.

The institution I work for has asked me to come up with a list of plants - and a suggested design as a part of this project.

Here are some of the parameters specified for growing conditions:

"Hydrologic conditions in both planter types are basically the same and will include periodic inundation to a depth of about 4-6 inches - this when we get a substantial rain (1" over 24 hr. period). The planters will drain rather quickly - once it stops raining standing water will drain down or out in no more than 48 hours, most likely within 24 hours. The longest period of inundation would be when we have many continuous days of significant rainfall. The most common rain event in our region is less than 1", which would result in a range of moist to fully saturated soil, but no standing water"

I'd very much appreciate any suggestions you can offer.

Thanks,

CarrieB

Comments (2)