SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

Show me your hanging baskets and planters

kimcoco
15 years ago

I planted these myself this year and compared them to some at my local nursery, and I'm pleased at what I did (I don't have much of a green thumb).

{{gwi:40255}}

{{gwi:40256}}

{{gwi:40257}}

I love the contrast of the sweet potato vine against my purple leaf sandcherry...

{{gwi:39137}}

monarch in my garden today:

{{gwi:40259}}

I see a lot of plants that look so pretty in planters, but I can't always identify them, so this year I went with what I know - potato plant, coleus, alyssum, and ivy. I also like creeping jenny (goldilocks), and there's another one that's almost greyish that I like - I forgot the name. I'm interested to see what everyone else has.

Anyone interested in sharing pics (with plant identification please)?

-Kim

Comments (46)

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Oh, Kim, your containers are absolutely gorgeous! I love them but I don't have any to share yet! I never know how to combine plants in containers. I'm learning though and hope one day I'll have some to share.

Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

• liz_h
    15 years ago

Kim, your containers are beautiful! I wish I had some to show you - maybe next year. What is that orange blossom in the top one?

• Related Discussions

Need inspiration, show me your boot planters please

Q

Comments (13)
    I've posted mine before, but here it is again. I definitely suggest hen & chicks or sedum that can really take being dry. Otherwise you are a slave to them and if you miss a day or two of watering, they're done for. I didn't line mine - just planted directly in them, no drain holes, but did cut a hole in the toe and planted it also. I leave mine out all winter. I never water mine - they only get the occasional rain and once in awhile the hose hits them if I happen to be watering something else near them, which hardly ever happens. I've never done cowboy boots - only work boots, but I'm thinking it would be neat to fill them with dirt and cut holes up and down the sides to plant sort of like a strawberry pot. Arlene Here is a link that might be useful: Garden shots
    ...See More

Coconut geranium - worth putting in a hanging basket planter?

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi there, I figured you guys would be the experts to ask. I bought a "coconut geranium" from Richters Herbs. Nice foliage scent. I was wondering about the blossoms though. I researched pictures on google images and the blooms look pretty but tiny. Despite being tiny, do they appear in any great number or does the plant just throw out a few small blossoms at a time? I am thinking of putting this plant in a hanging basket but debating if I should include at least one other annual in the pot so at least there's always something blooming. I guess it's just a new way of thinking, I'm used to annuals that bloom their heads off (but have gone to more attractive foliage annuals as well). Thanks for your input, Glen
    ...See More

Hanging Pot Racks . . . show me yours

Q

Comments (3)
    Really sorry to hear about the hurricane, though I hope you enjoy the reno process. Here is a picture of my pot rack - though there's no pots on it in this picture. I think they were still packed away when I took this picture.
    ...See More

Show me your porch pots/planters!

Q

Comments (56)
    Ajc, I just ordered some copper and black (Smith and Hawken) planters from Target online. Anxiously waiting to see if I like them when they arrive...the ones I ordered are square -- a copper pot inside a black stand/frame. The small size was around 14" square which, when I measured on my small front stoop, was pretty big. They have two larger sizes too, I think. I struggle with containers and plants outside, too. Never feel like I get it right! And I only have a tiny stoop to work with! Good luck! Just throwing this out -- I wonder if you'd consider a tall metal sculpture of some kind instead of a plant? Just a thought...
    ...See More
  • puglvr1
    15 years ago

Kim, you did an excellent job with your containers. I also don't have the talent to put plants together, so I end up with just a single plant in them. But I really like your plant combinations. They are very pretty. I have some "Crossandras" but it is in my window Planter(not container).
    {{gwi:40261}}

• laurastheme
    15 years ago

Kim, they're absolutely gorgeous!

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone. Xuan, if you ever give it a go, please post!

Is that what they are? Crossandras? LOL They are pretty.. I do love orange flowers, and my husband picked those out this year as we were perusing the annuals at the local nursery.

My MIL was here and she asked what they were...I had to look in the basket to see if I had the plant tag there. My "annual plants" vocabulary consists of coleus, ivy, potato plant and alyssum. Oh, marigolds too. LOL

I had to play around with the coleus. The first batch that I bought died...I got too anxious with the winter blues and put them out too soon...and I think I had shade coleus in sun and vice versa. But these grew in nicely, though they dry out fast (I think they are too packed with both plants and soil - I didn't leave enough room at the top to allow for water), so I have to water them diligently.

We just went to a rock quarry today to pick out some lannonstone for our walkway, and they had the prettiest flowers in front of the building - it was veronica (I think sunny border blue) and in front of that was an annual red flower - looked like petunias but wasn't petunias, and then in front of that were ageratum annuals (i had to ask them what they were). It was such a stunning combination I may have to try it in my yard next year!

Anyone else want to share pics? I'd love to expand my horizons and add something different, but I don't know much about plants...

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

p.s. husband says that's not a monarch butterfly, and he's right. It's a moth. Pretty though.

• phyllis__mn
    15 years ago

Lovely combinations, and I think your butterfly is a Painted Lady.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

All the photos posted are lovely! The bright leaf and flower colors make a wonderful visual impact together! Great job!

Due to inclement weather and hundreds of Japanese beetles, my planters didn't turn out the way I had hoped this year... my Cannas got a late start in the early chill of our spring, and with the torrential and constant rains we've had, nothing in my pots looks like I had hoped. I'm a bit disappointed in my patio pots, but I will say that my gorgeous perennial gardens have made up for it in spades!

From the bulbs that flowered in early spring, to the wonderful show of Daylilies and other perennials that's happening right now, I am very pleased with the gardens!

I don't have any hanging basket or container photos to share, but I do have some lovely shots of plants blooming in different beds and borders... I hope that's ok!

Enjoy...

A red daylily... "Chicago - something or other"... I can't remember the name on the tag right now!
    {{gwi:40263}}

Daylily "Sea Gold"... absolutely gorgeous!
    {{gwi:40265}}

White Liatris surrounded by Rudbeckia...
    {{gwi:40267}}

A beautiful red Clematis with pink undertones...
    {{gwi:40269}}

Rose "Hot Cocoa"... a unique reddish orange with chocolate overtones...
    {{gwi:40271}}

A double orange unnamed Daylily...
    {{gwi:40272}}

A bi-color miniature Rose...
    {{gwi:40273}}

Thanks for looking! Since there are no decent photos to post of my containers or hanging baskets, I hope a few shots from my gardens are acceptable, instead. I've posted a link to my photo album for anyone interested in seeing more!

Happy Gardening!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Photo Album

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

Those are beautiful...thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures!!

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

I was a little busy this spring so I went pretty "plain jane" with the containers....these are mine....I have some updates of some I did for my friend, I will post those later. Plus I went to the Buffalo Garden Walk and saw a bunch. I think I will share those on a seperate post, since there are a few of them.

{{gwi:40274}}

{{gwi:40275}}

{{gwi:40276}}

{{gwi:40277}}

• haxuan
    15 years ago

Beautiful containers! Please keep them coming, coming...!!!

Xuan

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

I'd hardly call those "Plain Jane"! They're fabulous! Everywhere you look, there's an explosion of color and texture! That's what planting annual mixed containers is all about... visual impact!

Great job, everyone! I'd love to see more! Who's next?!

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

Thanks for your comments....it seems gardeners are just about the most polite people on the planet. Here are some containers I did for my friend and his wife. They are new to gardening and this is their first effort with containers. They are doing a great job keeping up so far.
    The 1st one has S.P. vine, licorice plant, annual fountain grass, nemesia that you cannot see yet, and purslane in the middle. I love the purslane, it tolerates heat without a notice. The blooms close at night so I included a photo of them open. These pics are a couple weeks old and everything was just starting to go. We were waiting on the containers so we got a late start.
    {{gwi:40278}}
    {{gwi:40279}}

these other pots have wave petunias,bacopa,creeping jenny,canna,calla,vinca,liatrus,million bells,geranium,coleus,and spikes

{{gwi:40280}}

{{gwi:40281}}

{{gwi:40282}}

{{gwi:40283}}

{{gwi:40284}}

{{gwi:40285}}

• haxuan
    15 years ago

crunchpa: your containers are absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing.

Please, please people, keep you photos coming. I enjoy looking at them sooooo much.

Xuan

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Phyllis, I think you are right about the Painted Lady. I get the impression that any butterfly that isn't a Monarch is just a "moth" to him. I TOLD him it was a butterfly! Pretty.

Jodi - thanks for the pics of the flowers...I have a red daylily similar to yours, but I don't know the name. Very pretty. I just purchased my first asiatic daylilies this year too..."lilium asiatica matrix" - a stunning red.

Crunchpa - you are so modest! Those coleus combos are fantastic!! And I love the lobelia - I tried planting in my back yard this year in a planter, but they were overrun by my Alyssum. Is the licorice vine the silvery blue vine? Maybe that's the one I was thinking of this year, but didn't know what it was. Lovely.

I'm so upset - I put too much fertilizer in my hanging baskets and I think I burned the plants. I could kick myself!!! *$*%^#*%

Anyone else want to share pics?

• michi81
    15 years ago

I have a couple of hanging baskets. They are not much. I have one that has a solid green spider plant in it and I tried to add a cutting from a vine that grows from my neighbors side of the fence over to my side but its slow to taking to its new environment. The other hanging basket I have has a varigated leaf of sorts, coleus and this clover looking weed with a yellow flower (it was cute so I kept it). Here are some other photos of what I have done so far with my little area

{{gwi:40287}}

Solid Green Spider Plant container
    {{gwi:40289}}

Coleus flowering taller than the privacy fence
    {{gwi:40290}}

Tomatos, Marigolds and Sunflowers in containers
    {{gwi:40291}}

Gloriosa Lily growing on the fence
    {{gwi:40292}}

Stu watching his mama in the garden
    {{gwi:40293}}

Amaryllis and coleus

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

Yes kimcoco that is the licorice plant...of course anything with that white frosty appearance is heat tolorant and suited well for sunny containers..that window box and hanging basket is all day sun and it was prudent to choose tough plants and have large containers on that side of the house.........Here is one from the Buffalo Garden Walk that incorporates containers in an exsisting bed. This raises your annuals where you can see them, protects them from rodents and shades the pot to keep it hydrated....some people had entire beds in there backyard urban gardens with containers and it was hard to tell....using smaller pots in the front and larger in the back the effect was impressive....the Garden Walk had 300 downtown participants and lasted 2 days.....it was like Charleston,SC on steroids. Minus the palm trees and architecture of course but courtyards dressed to the 9's was the norm. Many were featured in national magazines for how to garden in small spaces. Props to the people of Buffalo for their overwhelming participation. Here are a couple pics of containers I saw, though some of the most impressive sights at the Gardenwalk were arbors, trellises and fountains,this is the container forum, I will dig out a couple more later

{{gwi:40294}}

{{gwi:40295}}

{{gwi:40297}}

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Wow! There's a lot of inspiration here!

I tried Al's mix this year for the first time. Between that and the copious amounts of rain we've had, the plants in my hayracks are pretty happy.

I have 3 of these across part of my deck and they brighten my days
    {{gwi:40299}}

I had 2 of these flanking my front entry but the deer were enjoying the begonias too much!

{{gwi:40301}}

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

I particularly like the one on the deck railing....thats gorgeous!

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Crunchpa, I love those gardens and now you have me wanting to travel to Charleston too. Hmmmmm....hubby was talking about a destination later this year....

I am in love with that Monarda. I'm trying to find a place in my yard where I can incorporate such a tall plant, but I am running out of room.

DLM - what are the vines with the lighter green foliage and white flowers? Your baskets are very pretty.

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

I believe that would be the bacopa you are inquiring about. Its a great plant for a trailer in containers. That and million bells I find are as consistent as anything I stuff in the front of a pot. Charleston is incredible at the end of March, beginning of April timeframe. Its azelea festival time and along with the wisteria and pollinating pines, its a sweet smell you won't forget. Magnolia Plantation and Audobon Garden is a walk in the woods like few others. If you like Gardens and history like myself, this is a natural choice.
    {{gwi:40303}}
    {{gwi:40305}}

{{gwi:40307}}

{{gwi:40309}}

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

Yup - Bacopa.

crunchpa what is the tall dark pink flower above next to the BES looking flower?

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

Everyone has such wonderful containers this year! The photos are all fabulous! I'd be hard pressed to choose a favorite out of all these glorious photos!

However... the photos with the Liatris used as center height plantings are positively stunning! What a fantastic idea, and what a fantastic result! I simply must try that next year!

Keep posting! I'm really enjoying these wonderful photo spreads!

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Crunchpa, I love the wisteria. I'd love to have it on my property, but I think it would be overwhelming on less than 1/4 acre lot.

And that huge tree....fabulous! There's nothing better than mature trees. Luckily, I live on one of the better streets in my city with huge mature trees...it makes such a difference. I'd trade these in for palm trees anyday, but...

Our street in the winter months (I'll have to get a summer picture):

{{gwi:40311}}

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

dlm2000.......thats bee balm (monarda), I like it too but it can get powdery mildew in some locations and I believe there is a resistant variety, there was plenty in Buffalo and it all looked good though

kimcoco......that is a Live Oak with the spanish moss hanging on it.....there are some in S.C. 1000 years old....Wisteria is nice on someone elses property....your snow scene is no novelty to my neighborhood.....we are a short ride to Buffalo(enough said).....I can't complain too much since I am in the snow removal business......I am pretty sure that is the inspiration for gardening in Buffalo....you know whats coming ( in feet) all too soon.

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

And this is a winter scene from the country... Central Illinois, to be exact...

{{gwi:40313}}

On the really hot days, we dream of scenes like this... and when winter comes, we dream of those hot days in the sun!

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

Here are a couple more from the Buffalo Gardenwalk......Nasturium was popular....I have not really used it much personally....the blue vase is a fountain....I saw several of those at the Cleveland Garden Show....they are cool......

{{gwi:40315}}

{{gwi:40316}}

you can grab lamium out of one of your beds and use it a pot....i have done that with sedum, moonbeam coreopsis, ajuga..etc

{{gwi:40317}}

{{gwi:40318}}

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

For those small containers or very sunny locations you can't beat succulents......the sedums and hens and chicks are great for this application

{{gwi:40319}}

{{gwi:40320}}

These are all from Buffalo....here are a couple more........this bike....thats flowering cale, that will be nice this fall

{{gwi:40321}}

once the wave petunias get going they are great, I thinks its a mistake to be impatient and cram too many in a small pot....the waves will last through the fall so there is no need to get greedy early, they just suffer in crowded conditions....they will trail 4 feet by september

{{gwi:40322}}

this elephant ear ,sweet potato vine combo is pretty....pots don't need to be complex to be attractive

{{gwi:40323}}

Its a nice big pot for these thirsty species of plants......dappled shade or less than all day sun is a key to nice containers....full sun needs a large container and/or the tough sun loving plants........I use pro mix and have reused the same potting medium for up to 8 years in the past.......I plant the hanging pouches, whiskey barrels....pails, hanging baskets........using some perrenials from your property like (zebra grass or some calla lilies that you over-wintered etc..) in a large container can be cost effective and give your container grouping some depth........hope this helps anyone who is new to containers

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jodi, your snow scene is fabulous! I was complaining in prior years that we just haven't had snow like I remember when I was a kid....and oops..opened my mouth too soon and we got slammed this past year. It is so pretty, though I dread the cold weather...

Crunchpa, I love the lamium in the basket - I didn't realize you could easily pull it from your yard for a planter (I planted my first lamium this year). I will definitely be using some for my baskets next year - what a stunning contrast.

The sweet potato vine is probably my favorite. I noticed when I plant it in half sun (morning sun only), it tends to trail really long (the second picture of mine above - and it's gotten at least a foot longer since I took this pic!). As for my baskets in full sun, the sweet potato vine gets full, but not really long.

That Victorian is beautiful...

I've gotten so much inspiration from these pictures.

I just purchased this wall planter today - this isn't the exact one, but just to give you an idea - it holds maybe 4 or 5 small planters - no more than maybe 4 inches in height and maybe 3 inches in diameter.

What could I plant in such small pots? I like your idea about the succulents, but I don't think you'd really be able to see them in these pots. Ideas?

{{gwi:40324}}

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

What a beautiful planter that is! You can plant a garbage can with flowers and it will look nice.....having attractive containers is the next step up. The key is to have what you plant survive and florish. Small containers are a specialty and have an increased rate of failure. That being said, line that container with cocoa liner, ala dlm2000 above. This will give you the large pot you need. If the sighting of this basket gets a break from the sun your choices are many. If it is all day sun you have to be more carefull and have a shorter list for success. Using the polymer water saving pellets can help in full sun. A trailer for a hanging pot is always eye catching but not mandatory for a good look. For full sun or any slacker watering people that cannot get to their pots daily in midsummer......verbena is the pink trailer I have pictured (in my containers in earlier post) in a basket above the ornamental grass in a ground container. Verbena is tough. Also if you can find purslane, that will take abuse to extremes (also pictured above). Bacopa is tough but only to a point. Lantana loves to bake. Herbs all can take heat. Licorce plant or dusty miller would survive nuclear war. Lamium needs alot of shade. This is how you pick your plants. Your potato vine that was shorter in full sun given a larger container and the proper water would out perform that in part sun. A large container = more water......it does not dry out as fast. The potato vine in my friends window box above is in full sun and is now trailing 30 inches......... Not always what I want, its what can I have. Thriving plants in a garbage can will be a nicer planter than suffering ones in a soilid gold basket. Wave petunias are a very reliable plant. Feel free to ask about any of the plants that catch your eye in our posts. Anybody thats wants to weigh in , please do, I am no expert on the subject but I get my containers to live every year. Trial and error is part of gardening but you can save yourself some grief with research. An independent garden store with a seasoned staff can be a help. Lets get to the nuts and bolts now.....What will be the sun exposure of your new planter and do you water daily once summer heat meets a planter full of an adult root system. ( its ok to be too busy to water everyday, the plant list shrinks though)

{{gwi:40325}}
    Above are wave petunias, vinca vine, and marigolds and I can't tell what else they have stuffed in there

{{gwi:40326}}

{{gwi:40327}}

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

I definitely need more containers next year :-)

• jodik_gw
    15 years ago

There is so much beauty and so much inspiration in all of the above pictures! I'm sitting here with my mouth hanging open, looking at all the wonderful plant and flower combinations... wow!

I'm DEFINITELY going to make an effort next year with more and better patio pots! These photos everyone is posting... they're positively stunning!

Today, there is a heat index warning... and I keep looking at the winter scenes depicted in those two photos... and I almost feel a little cooler... almost! You're right, Kimcoco, last winter's snow was quite a surprise... considering we really haven't gotten dumped on in recent years! When I was a kid, there was always plenty of snow to build snowmen and snow forts... and in '79, we were shoveling off our roof to get rid of the weight... but in past years, we really haven't had that much snow to speak of.

I can't say enough about all the great photos being posted! I only hope that my containers look half as good next year!!

• regattagirl
    15 years ago

These were taken earlier this summer..

At BF's house, we went a little overboard. My first try in this urn.
    {{gwi:40328}}

My front door...I know it's same-old plant choices but the size makes cars slow down to look.
    {{gwi:40329}}

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

Those are outstanding planters.......one thing I gathered from Buffalo Gardenwalk is the placement of these containers in beds to be combined with exsisting perrenials and containers stacked up to make an appearance of no containers. I love your container bordered by lilies, how did that verbena hang in there for you this year.....mine did great but some years it gets mildew. I think it was a little less humid this year here. Your Geranium, Wave petunia combo is bright and lively. As a side note for anybody, petunias love to be cut back and restarted, they respond well in short order....If you are leaving for several days and wonder about how your containers will fair.....cut them back, at this time of the year they will regroup quickly.

Check out this grouping from the gardenwalk.....some of these gardeners in Buffalo were no novices

{{gwi:40330}}

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jodi, I viewed your photos in photobucket. You have clems labeled "white" and "red". Do you know the names? I planted my first clems this year. The red one you have is very pretty...wondering if that's Mme Julia Correvon?

Regattagirl, I love what you did with the urn. The bright red flower is verbena? So pretty.

Crunchpa, what are the little pink flowers trailing on the left hand side of your pic? And the purple/green tall one next to the red coleus? Is that purple a coleus also?

I'm late in responding to your post...

Went shopping yesterday for planters - mostly clay -and purchased soil with the moisture retaining pellets you had mentioned.

Your idea about adding the coco liner to the wall planter is spectacular...I hadn't thought past the tiny plant pots that fit in there.

My house has an old milk chute that was replaced with glass block. I find it to be an eyesore ...my solution was to use the wall planter to hide the glass block behind it. For this reason, I was thinking that both trailing plants along with some taller varieties would do the job. This area receives full sun from noon forward, and I am faithful about watering daily.

I do like the liatris, vince vine, bacopa, purslane, licorice plant, S.P vine, verbena, of the few that I can actually identify. I planted my first petunias this year and I'm pleased with them. I prefer bold colors to pastels, and while the ornamental grasses look great in your containers, I donÂt think they would fit in with my gardening scheme - I'd say my style is more formal than not.

In short, ALL your planters look fabulous...so of course any suggestions you have for me are well received.

Crunchpa, you are a definite asset to the gardening community and this forum alike! Thank you so much for taking the time to offer all your suggestions and wonderful ideas, and thanks to EVERYONE taking the time to post pics of their lovely plants.

Wall planter:
    {{gwi:40331}}

-Kim

• regattagirl
    15 years ago

Crunchpa,

Yup, verbena is still kicking big time. I hacked off that and the petunias each a few weeks back. Petunias are giganitic. Daylillies are done and now all the coneflowers have kicked into high gear.

Kim,

Yup, the red is verbena, 3 different coleus, a little orangey marigold for interest (because I already had it) and the grass BF likes. It repeats on the other side.

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

kim asks ..."Crunchpa, what are the little pink flowers trailing on the left hand side of your pic? And the purple/green tall one next to the red coleus? Is that purple a coleus also? "

It looks like million bells and I believe the one next to the coleus is persian shield.

Kim that wall hanger looks great there.......can you light that glass block?

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

There are a lot of buy1 get1 sales at the local garden centers at this time of year so that, combined with all this container chat led me to make a couple more pots. I grabbed some vinca with yellow variegation that I will plant in the ground in fall, some crossandra, that I have never used before but caught my eye on this forum, ornamental kale that I may move later in fall to a front door container and new guinea impatiens. I have had flowering kale in a pot well into january before. I chopped down the ribbon grass in the bed around the pots, so that will be a bed of variegation surrounnding the pots in a week or two. Ribbon grass is very invassive in an open area but I love it for confined spaces that do not get water. It always looks fresh and if you want to freshen it or make it smaller just mow it down. It is great for areas under overhangs that lack moisture.

{{gwi:40332}}

{{gwi:40333}}

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a beautiful house you have, Crunchpa. And, it looks like you have some nice scenery (I noticed the reflection in your window).

I'm glad you mentioned about planting the vinca vine in the ground in the fall - I just purchased a few vines and probably would have tossed them with the arrival of colder weather, but I thought they were annuals? I'll have to check the tag.

I was wondering, how long will my petunias last? I read your post about them trailing 4 feet by September...

My planters (most were used solely for ferns in prior years) are usually empty once the ferns die off as colder weather arrives, and then they aren't replaced until winter with sprigs of evergreen and red twig dogwood.

So, after reading your post about ornamental Kale, I'll have to get me some! I searched the web and what a pretty plant for fall interest. Wow.

I was thinking about your idea to light the glass block, so I went outside last night after opening the milk chute to let some light through...very interesting, I must say. I COULD add a battery-operated, light-sensored candle. Are you for hire? LOL

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

Of course we are talking about Wave petunias when we are talking trailing 3 to 4 feet......growing in ideal conditions in a large pot.....totally abused waves will trail 2 feet though.....We live right on Lake Erie which moves our fall frost date into november, inland is earlier (Wisconsin?).......once the sun starts getting less intense in fall I will cut them back a little to keep them vibrant.....any annuals with watery type stems like impatiens and coleus will be the first to suffer.....tough stems like marigolds and geraniums extend the season....petunias last pretty well....you can see the front of the far planter with the petunias on the ground {{gwi:40335}}

I am a groundskeeper at a local hospital, doing the snow removal and year round upkeep outside......my friends house(pictured above) that I help him with, works inside (surgeon) and does have a nice house with an incredible view. I just organize his outside for him....

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, what a wonderful friend you are. I wish I had half your talent.

I got a little nervous about the "wave" petunias after reading your post - as I'd already trimmed my petunias back and nearly fell out of my chair when I realized mine aren't "wave" petunias (I have supertunia royal velvet) - I wasn't sure at first if I misunderstood your original post about pruning ALL type of petunias. I had to run out to the garage to check the tags and revisit older posts. LOL

I didn't realize until I read online last night that superbells, millionbells were aka Calibrachoa.

What plants would you recommend for my wall planter at this time of year?

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

No need to freak out kim.....you can cut back just about anything.....it is a good practice once your plants have outgrown their planters and are drying out too fast.....my impatiens are becoming little trees and are drinking alot and may start to seperate in cooler months ahead...I will post a photo after I hack the hell out of them and the after they recover....I will be away for a week at the end of the month and everything would be dead when I come back if i didn't reduce them....regular petunias planted on the ground really benefit from heavy cutting back the last of july to avoid getting leggy......I think you should try the flowering kale at this late date for planting in your zone.......and a trailer like creeping jenny or vinca.....if you can find something small in flower like begonias or lobelia at this time of year and you can stuff it in there, do it...........this time of year you can get away with cramming in some plants because they will not have enough season left to be overplanted.......your kale and trailer planted so close to your house should get you to christmas.......another option would be geraniums or marigolds(or both) if you think you need a flowering plant......you could buy some kale put it in the ground, plant geraniums or marigolds for now with a trailer.....and swap them in november.....Kale will look nice to minus 20.......as long as snow does not lay on it you could have it well into january that close to the house, when choosing Kale, try to find some that the stems are not too tall, if they are a little leggy, plant them deep..........I don't believe you posted your supertunia photo kim......lets see what your other containers are doing

• caroline94535
    15 years ago

Every picture posted is so beautiful.

Here's part the container garden on the steps to the sunporch. There are 10 16" pots altogether. I've planted them in pairs; each step has identical plantings on the left and right sides. We just bought the house and are in the agonies of remodeling, so my gardening has been very limited this season.

All the usual suspects! I used white cosmos, white nicotiana, dark purple and purple with white stripes petunias, Million Bells (in purple, yellow, and pink), ivy geraniums (a dark burgundy and Picaso), white seedling geraniums, violas,(white, yellow, and purples), hot pink vinca, silver thyme, lemon thyme, curly parsley, ornamental hot peppers, diamond frost euphorbia, dianthus, and white Marguerite daisies.

{{gwi:40336}}

The left side of the sunporch steps.

{{gwi:40337}}

{{gwi:40338}}

Yes! That's black plastic in the window. We had a healthy wind storm that blew out this window. Since we're replacing all 10 sunporch windows this fall, we just covered it with plastic for now! Very stylish; don't you agree? LOL The steps are scheduled to be replace, too, with new ones in the same size. I must have room for the flower pots!

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

That is a very nice assortment you have caroline.....you used a lot of the plants I like....its been awhile since I used Marguerite daisies and I think I will next year. Its nice to see what people are using to keep from getting in a rut. Thanks for sharing.

• kimcoco
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Caroline, I love your choice of bold colors mixed with whites. Very pretty.

Crunchpa, I've been busy...my baskets are not much to speak of but these are some of the pics I took before I cut the petunias back. I actually purchased these after all the petunia talk here and I can't really take credit since most of these were potted as is when I purchased them.

I did take the coleus, S.P. vine out of my 36" planter from my airing porch and transplanted those here in clay pots. Good thing, because when I pulled them out they were one big rootball - the thing came out of the planter in one piece. Too many plants.

I transplanted the purple petunias and S.p. vine in the 36" planter. Coleus are probably much happier now in their new homes I'm sure.

Next year I hope to be a little more creative. I think I'll put wave petunias in my urns on my patio (this year I have ferns).

{{gwi:40339}}

{{gwi:40340}}

{{gwi:40341}}

I paid less than $6 for the plants in this wall planter - I found a local mom and pop vendor. I've got 3 begonias (you can't see the white one in the pic), licorice plant, and vinca vine. Next year I'd like to add liatris.

{{gwi:40342}}

{{gwi:40343}}

• crunchpa
    15 years ago

Nice kim......I repotted my SPV also.....I had 2 in one hanging basket and knew by this time they would be rootbound and growing potatos.....so I plucked off the potato and seperated them and cut them way back.....they will not need much watering now.....next thing for me will be some bayer advanced tree and shrub care treatment because the bugs will be moving in on the petunias....I should have done that by now actually....your planter looks like a cathedral window, very nice