SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ecoakley123

Busy pattern chair-area rug dilemma

Elaine C.
6 years ago

Help!!! I have neutral sofas and a REALLY busy accent chair. I have no idea what color or pattern/solid atea rug to pair with the chair. I have purchased 3 rugs so far and didn't like any of them. Check out the latest rug in my pics. The rug is flimsy and cheap, but I do like the pop of color. Is it too busy?

I do have red and blue accents in room. Thanks so much For some much needed advice!!!

Comments (123)

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks so much, Marian! Hi Claire, I'm afraid to tackle that chair. The unfortunate thing is I paid way too much money for it. In the store, it looked great, but in my house, not so much, haha. I've been trying to find the perfect rug for over a year that will play nice with the chair. I may leave the red rug for now and use the floral gray rug above under the table. Although they don't really compliment each other, it has a similiar blue as my table and a lot of gray. Any thoughts on rugs?? I'm all ears, lol. For some reason this entire space is bugging me, I do appreciate all of the wonderful compliments.

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

Would love to see a picture with the new rugs:)

Elaine C. thanked kjoy1
  • Related Discussions

Decorating dilemma with area rugs-pics...HELP!

Q

Comments (7)
    The idea is to lighten the top half of the room both in color and in style. Use the slips on just the armless chairs. I think that will look fine since the armchairs are over to the side. Designers often use a different look at the ends of the table versus the sides. Do you have a lighter colored bed sheet? Why not try laying it down over the carpet. That will give you an idea of how a light colored carpet would work. Also, you will want to change some of the artwork. You need to bring the blue up to eye level and get rid of the jewel tones altogether.
    ...See More

Any ideas for an area rug with patterned chair?

Q

Comments (4)
    A stripe? This one: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/favorite-stripe-rug/?pkey=ceight-by-ten-rug-affordable Or this: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/solid-stripe-outdoor-rug-neutral/?pkey=ceight-by-ten-rug-affordable A tone-on-tone simple pattern? http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decorating-and-accessories/all-rugs/mica-rug/f45677 Or a solid colored indoor-outdoor rug - would be easy to keep clean.
    ...See More

Please help me choose an area rug design/style and an accent chair

Q

Comments (26)
    This is a pretty room with too much Hobby Lobby decor. You've got vases of sticks in display niches. Reminds me of a hotel lobby. Find something you love and want to look at every day to put there. I chose a couple of ethnic artifacts, but it could be art glass, or antique pieces. Here are a couple of rugs that will work better in your room:
    ...See More

Area rug and decor dilemma

Q

Comments (15)
    Your furniture is all wonderful ....elegant and sort of monochromatic...i think this calls for a more contemporary look .... ...if it is just the couch area..a lush thick shag rug in a color that you love...a jute type rug would supply the needed contrast of being casual to the dining area...i would avoid traditional unless it is a valuable old family heirloom that you cant live without
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

The floral gray rug looks wonderful under the dining table; it lightens that whole area and also seems a good size. I just want to say again that the chair in the living room is NOT a problem, and the room as you have it now is better than anything proposed. You need a colorful rug there so that the red chest is not the odd man out and that the living room doesn't look dreary. I do think you've agonized over what is already a beautiful room. The rug is not my style and I might pick a tribal oriental, but I think what you have works for the transitional style of the room. A very large and beautiful painting over the couch would be the icing on the cake.

Elaine C. thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kjoy1, I will take some pics tomorrow and post of each rug under dining table. Both rugs do not contain the same denim blue as my table but more of slate/teal, but I'm not sure an exact blue match is really needed. Once I post some pics, you can let me know your thoughts. Thanks so much!

Ingrid, thanks for all of your input. I may end up keeping the red rug for now and concentrate on replacing only dining table area. If I do decide to go with the gray with blue flowers for both areas, I think the red cabinet may still work since there are other pops of red throughout. Kinda like the cherry on top, haha. I really appreciate your comments and compliments :)

Stay tuned........

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Going out on a limb here..........Does anyone like this? Dark blue and tan. Keep red rug in living or use this in both areas?

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

I think that one is lovely...

Elaine C. thanked kjoy1
  • arkansas girl
    6 years ago

I'm not sure if others have already mentioned this since this thread has been going on for a while but I find that both rugs are too tiny. The living room rug is cute and fun with the bright red but it's way too small as if everything is teetering in the edge of it. Same with the dining room round rug, it's cute but way too tiny.

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello, thanks for the additional comments! I'll post a pic this weekend of the round gray rug. I did go larger on that one and will do the same for living area if I change that one as well.

Have a a great day!!

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Does anyone like these?

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Or this one above for both areas? The denim dining table should be a great match. Will the black and beige pattern chair be an issue with any of these? Thanks so very much. This will end my search because I'm tired of looking for rugs

• User
    6 years ago

They’re beautiful but I would get one with the colors inverted

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

• User
    6 years ago

Kjoy, you’re really good with photoshop

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

Thanks Claire...just an amateur...but I think it is fun:) I think area rugs are the hardest. If I don’t have a photo with the correct angle or prospective I am unable to do it. I am sure there is a way but I haven’t figured it out yet.

• User
    6 years ago

Is there perspective selection in the software

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

I am sure there is on the software version but I use a version for an iPad...which has less features but is easier to use.

• User
    6 years ago

Ok does that software has a hammer and a wrench bar together as an x symbol

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

No:(

• User
    6 years ago

Oh : (

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Kjoy1, your awesome!!! Thanks so much for providing photos! Claire, great idea to invert the patterns! I think I like the the rugs with the darker blue. I have the gray round rug here and the flowers are a bit on the teal side (see photo) but t's hard to tell in the photo. The rug is also pretty muted. The latest rugs have a bit more brown which will match my end tables and they have a little more punch. So.........I'm down to the following. Which should I go for???

• User
    6 years ago

I love the last one it’s perfect

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Claire, the last set with the denim color and brown or the one with teal flowers the dining chair is on? Lol

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

• kjoy1
    6 years ago
    I like your new rug...it is very pretty:)
  • Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

kjoy1, which one is your favorite?

• kjoy1
    6 years ago
    I think the new gray one is really pretty but will wait until you take a picture of it this weekend to make my final decision ;)
  • Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sounds great! Thanks for hanging in there with me. I'll put it under the table and post a pic. It's a bit light so I worry about heavy traffic with 3 dogs. Stay tuned....night

• User
    6 years ago

I think they all look great- and I hope I am not throwing this off kilter but I really really like the new ones with the dark blue. (the denim)

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Sheilasus122! I'm leaning towards the denim. Here is the gray with real:blue flowers. I really like it but it's s little dull. Opinions!

• everdebz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

.... I'm just seeing light counter stools, and dark set ....so I like the 'center' contrast rug with contrasting kitchen items.

And the less patterned in living! it seems to complement the art better.

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everdebz! Do you think this one works for both areas?

I'm leaning towards the following for both areas but just not sure. In a state of confusion.....ugh

• kjoy1
    6 years ago

Elaine...I think both rugs are beautiful! My choice would be the gray one with the blue flowers. As I see it you have 3 stars...your blue table, your gray patterned chair and your red chest. I feel the gray rug is a pretty backdrop that lets your stars shine. While beautiful I feel like the blue denim one would add a fourth star...that would compete with the others. This is just my opinion:) You have a beautiful home and have done such a good job so far...it is obvious that you have good design sense.

Elaine C. thanked kjoy1
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

kjoy said it well! The kitchen could use a 'star' as I think you said: the grey rug seems dull.... how about the blue-ish there?

The LR has its red, and doesn't need blue-ish. Place grey there?

Elaine C. thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

When I see blue-ish with white doors, it's warming.

I don't think it's a problem to have different rugs, in other words... :)

• Elaine C. thanked User
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

I like that large scale of pattern better, more casual like your kitchen [it seems]. But it doesn't warm up white doors, etc... but in person might be different.

Elaine C. thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    6 years ago

I still sort of like my medium blue round jute rug [with natural border].... should we ask if you feel darkness while in your kitchen? Dull was your word.... but dark too??

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello everyone! I really appreciate your comments and compliments! My room is pretty dark so I try to avoid adding a dull rug. Additionally, my living set is also pretty griege. I did order the denim round and rectangle. If I like it for the kitchen, but not the living, I will put the rectangle in my dining room since it is blue. I can then keep the red rug or look for a gray for living only. Gee, rugs are a real pain. I do want to minimize my stars in the entire space, haha. (Thanks kjoy1) Stay tuned......

• User
    6 years ago

Looking forward to the IRL(in REAL life) verdicts. The options were really all quite good so I don't think you can go wrong. I am curious to see what you think with the large run in the living room because I didn't think it was dark or dull (but of course it's your house and your experience). I am just saying please don't rule it out until you try it. I do think the denim in the kitchen is stellar. :)

• Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here is the darker denim vintage rugs in both spaces. I really do like them and so do my dogs, lol. The blue is an exact match to my table. I do still like the gray more muted rug although the flowers in it are more teal which doesn't exactly match the table. I may order the larger and keep both sets to switch out from time to time because .they were really reasonable. Hubby will kill me, haha. What do you think???

Thanks for all of your wonderful opinions!!!

• User
    6 years ago

It looks great

Elaine C. thanked User
  • Elaine C.
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks, Claire! I really appreciate your advice during my crazy rug dilemma :)

• kjoy1
    6 years ago
    Good job Elaine. It looks nice:)
    Elaine C. thanked kjoy1
  • yeonassky
    6 years ago

Both carpets look absolutely lovely. :-). Congratulations

Elaine C. thanked yeonassky
  • User
    6 years ago

You’re Welcome

• Laurie Gordon
    6 years ago

Love your choices.

Elaine C. thanked Laurie Gordon
  • User
    6 years ago

Looks wonderful (it's what I was rooting for) and seeing the dog on the rug there should be no further indecision.

Elaine C. thanked User
  • kjoy1
    6 years ago
    I bet you are relieved that your rug dilemma is over! Now you can just sit back and enjoy your beautiful home:)
    Elaine C. thanked kjoy1
  • PRO
    Rediscover Your Home
    6 years ago

Nice job! Before scrolling down to the bottom and without reading the posts I was going to say add some blue also. Mission accomplished!

Elaine C. thanked Rediscover Your Home
  • woodteam5
    6 years ago

I thought it was nice before, but with everyones help, it's perfect. Nice job

Elaine C. thanked woodteam5