SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sergeantcuff

How We Really Live - TV and furniture arrangement

sergeantcuff
6 years ago

Unstaged photos!

My husband wants a larger TV. (I rarely watch). The sofa desperately needs to be replaced. So we plan to overhaul the whole room. The formal layout seems to preclude any other furniture placement, but I thought I'd see if anyone has other suggestions.

If we leave the TV in that corner, I'd probably get a small sideboard to place it on. Maybe swivel chairs would make more sense, although I hate to give up my wing chairs. I suppose the chairs should be a pair. The TV watcher prefers an armchair.

The room is 25 x 12, but the built-ins and hearth area cause the width to be only 10 feet. We got the suggestion to hang the TV above the mantle, but that seems really high and I would think it would be hard on the neck.

I thought about placing the TV opposite the mantel, with a loveseat and two chairs facing each other, but I don't think the room is wide enough.

(Just a window and radiator to the right of this photo)

The room is in obvious disarray. The mantel is being worked on as painting seems too small for space, floor lamp has wrong shade (others being rewired), etc. The lack of nice curtains has been a longstanding problem and I've given up.

I hope this post makes sense. I had alot of difficulty posting today!

Comments (34)

• DYH
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just removed my tv from my 12 x 21 living room (I'm one person, so I use a smaller tv in my kitchen lounge).

When I had the TV in the living room, it was arranged like this, as you mention -- a loveseat and two chairs facing. You can't see the TV, but it's there on the left side of the photo. It was a flat screen and took up the width on a 62" media console.

Now -- the chairs are comfortable, as is the loveseat -- unless you want to watch TV in a lounging position.

I would sit with my back on the arm of the loveseat, feet up on it (sideways basically) to watch tv. It was fine for one person, and my poodle often squeezed on there and pushed my legs off!

The chairs have a pull-up pouf ottoman, and that was the only other way to watch tv.

Ask your husband if he wants to watch tv that way. As yourself if you like to sit together to watch tv.

In a previous home (not the last one), we had the tv over the fireplace, but in a much wider room, and I didn't like it. I think with a narrow width, it would hurt to look up to see the tv.

Do you have another TV room already?

sergeantcuff thanked DYH
  • graywings123
    6 years ago

How about this: you keep the blue wing chair that is to the right of the fireplace, since you like it. Replace the sofa with a blue print fabric, and buy the hubs a blue leather BarcoLounger/LazyBoy that swivels. That way he can be part of the conversation grouping or watch TV.

You might want to consider making the living room less formal. I think you could pull some stunning colors from the rugs to apply to the walls and drapes. Change the artwork above the sofa and over the fireplace to larger pieces. Change the lamps, or at least the shades. I would figure out what in the room doesn't get used and maybe delete those pieces.

sergeantcuff thanked graywings123
  • Related Discussions

How to arrange furniture in our oddly shaped living room

Q

Comments (4)
    What is the depth of the couch? The length, width and height of the side tables? Ditto for the arm chair, the size and shape of the ottoman, the height and width of the entertainment center. Is there a desk chair? What is the width of the desk? Does it have an opening in the middle or on the right or left side? Is the back of the desk finished? Right now, making guesses, I can't fit everything into the space unless you don't want to get into the dining room, kitchen or hallway :-( It's not the lack of wall space; it's the lack of space for all your furniture.
    ...See More

Salon (gallery) wall and lamp questions

Q

Comments (5)
    d_gw - thanks for your input. I am thinking of putting the pansies above a doorway. My husband says it looks like it was painted by a madwoman in an attic. I am definitely getting rid of the small ones and am searching for some other paintings. Ingrid - thanks for the hint; I will have a look. I see what you mean about the dark frames. I recently met a local dealer in vintage art, a very nice man, and I may just have to bite the bullet and buy some decent pictures. I do have some better pictures elsewhere in the house; I collected all the small ones here above the sofa. I am surprised you don’t like the Paul de Longpré print in the middle!!!! The frame is not the best. One of my sons has several artistic yet destitute friends who are over here all the time eating my food and getting into the beer. Maybe I should commission something, HaHa. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to add something more airey - like a pen and ink or architectural drawing.
    ...See More

Family room furniture arrangement and tv placement help

Q

Comments (2)
    i would not place over the fireplace, that is too high. you can put on an arm on the left side of the book case where the slot is for a smaller one or leave on the wall it is on, then i would give it a larger console. i think i would continue to have the sofa face the fireplace then have two swivels on the right side of the couch so they can turn to the fireplace, the tv, or the couch. i would not even ask about shelves i would quickly have them filled. if that step down gives a problem i think the least expensive solution is a slanted piece of wood shoved against it. well and glued down. if you ever want a little more color or zip, let me know can give you at the least some cool pillowsl. let me know.
    ...See More

how to arrange furniture in living room with view

Q

Comments (13)
    Your view is fantastic! I like the idea of mounting the t.v. in the bookcase. Perhaps you can add a smaller bookcase to the den and bring some of your books in there if you're going to make it a reading room. I agree with bringing the green chair up to the conversation area at a right angle to the sofa. Perhaps then you could find a smaller cabinet to put under the opening to hold your record player and components. I also like the idea of grouping your plants in front of the small window between the two bookcases. It looks as though you would have room for a longer sofa in the den if you keep the coffee table but add slender floor lamps on either side for reading. If you would like to keep the dining table where it is, consider swagging a light fixture over to it to define the space. I think this space has the potential to have a cozy, eclectic, lived in bungalow feel with just a few small changes!
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

You have a beautiful room which has enough richness that you don't really need drapes, which isn't often the case. I'm normally not a fan of putting a TV over the fireplace but your mantel seems to be fairly low. On the other hand, if you were to remove the TV and put a low chest there catty corner, that should give you quite a bit larger space for a new TV. That way your hubby could retain his chair and usual arrangement, and you can concentrate on getting a new couch and gorgeous painting for the fireplace.

sergeantcuff thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    6 years ago

I think over the mantel makes the most sense in that room, if you are getting a larger TV. Make sure that you mount it to the wall, and then you can tilt it down slightly. If you can recline somewhat on the sofa while watching TV, you will not get cramps in your neck. If you place it there, however, it will take over the whole room, but it is the most practical place to put it. Also, you will not have to worry about any glares, as long as you turn off the table lamp.

sergeantcuff thanked Lars/J. Robert Scott
  • jlj48
    6 years ago

Love your floors, built ins, rug and wing chairs! Normally I don’t like TVs above fireplaces but in your room, your mantle seems lower. I think it would work really well to have a big flatscreen there. Then you can make a separate conversation area where the TV is now with your pretty wing chairs

sergeantcuff thanked jlj48
  • gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    6 years ago

I would put the TV next to the sofa, facing the windows. Remove that little table & chair & buy your DH a big comfy chair for that corner, facing the TV. White blinds would work nicely in your room.

sergeantcuff thanked gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
  • chispa
    6 years ago

Could your remove a few shelves from the built-ins and mount the TV in there?

sergeantcuff thanked chispa
  • sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I appreciate the comments. I just wrote a lengthy response that was lost somehow. I'll rewrite tomorrow.

I am wondering how to deal with the wires / cable box with a wall mounted TV. Thanks everyone.

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

Is there enough room in the end where the tv is now to put a sideboard for the tv and make that a tv viewing area with two chairs facing tv? If so, do that and keep your two wing chairs where they are, but face the far one in towards the couch for a conversation, reading, fireplace watching area.

sergeantcuff thanked lizbeth-gardener
  • Kicksychick
    6 years ago

I really like your wing back chairs too. I would move the piano to the space where the TV currently sits and then move the TV to the opposite end of the room. Purchase a new chair specifically for TV viewing. Then you can turn your lovely wing back chair back towards the sofa and create a conversation grouping. Purchase a small coffee table when you purchase a new sofa as well.

sergeantcuff thanked Kicksychick
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    6 years ago

I agree that the fpl mantle may be low enough for it to work. Also, if your DH thinks it works there, he is the one watching so if he is happy is the easiest route. I don't think you have enough width to do it the way DHYgardener set hers up

sergeantcuff thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

I like the layout you have.

sergeantcuff thanked MDLN
  • sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've spent much time today thinking about all your comments. I am leaning towards the mantel placement. I don't like that it will dominate the room, but as I said in my thread title, this is how we live. The TV now is lodged in an old cabinet, but no one ever shuts the doors! I really like the idea of taking out some bookshelves but one side has radiator pipes. I'd also lose three whole shelves and I just pared down my collection.

The mantel is 46" high. Should the TV be centered in the space? It will be a challenge to deal with the wires, cable box, etc. We've been thinking about cancelling the cable; maybe this would be a good time. If we can't figure out how to do this somewhat attractively, I will keep the TV where it is.

I really would prefer dhygarden's layout but the room being 2 feet narrower means that is not going to work here. We do not have any other good place for the TV, there's one in one son's room, and as he is away at college we often use the room. We have a reading area in our master bedroom, but there's really no space for a larger TV. My husband likes to turn a game on, and watch it on and off as he works on projects, goes out to the garden, etc. And, come to think of it, only one son ever lies down to watch. It would be nice to watch a movie in comfort, I suppose!

There's really not enough room in the back to do anything but a reading corner. I need to keep the table in the back for jigsaw puzzles. ( I'd better finish the one I'm working on soon as the Christmas tree goes there.)

I am intrigued by graywings' suggestion of making the room less formal. Any other suggestions? Actually, I've been looking at table lamps recently but am not finding anything I like. I tend to buy mostly antique / vintage stuff. Pottery lamps? Also looking for larger artwork. Unfortunately everything I like so expensive! DH is not much help as he is an art lover who is a bit too critical about my suggestions. I'm not finding any museum-quality pieces in our price range,

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

sc, that's a beautiful room -- warm and inviting -- and I hope you won't change it too much other than the TV. Your post title made me think of Magnaverde who used to post here often (he's back under a different name); he had a number of rules for design, one of which was, Design for the life you have, not the life you wish you had.

I remembering reading on the Young House Love blog their recommendations for wall mounting the TV. I think I found it, hope it helps,

https://www.younghouselove.com/2016/04/how-to-hide-tv-wires/

sergeantcuff thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • DYH
    6 years ago

I think you'll be happier with your full size sofa instead of a loveseat. Your mantel sounds lower than most.

I have a wall-mounted tv in my kitchen lounge. I'm fortunate to have a pantry beside it, so the Apple TV box and a power outlet are in there, and the electrician ran the cables through the wall from the back of the tv when he installed the mount for me (yes, electrican's mount tv's around here). I don't have a cable box. My wifi router is in the living room, on the bottom shelf of my end table where no one notices it. That said, it's really no big deal to see a cable box and equipment - everyone knows it's a requirement, so don't sweat trying to hide it so much.

Looking forward to seeing any changes. You have a nice living room.

sergeantcuff thanked DYH
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Is there enough room to the right of where the piano is to put the tv on that side, with an armchair and sidetable across from it? The piano could go to the left of the new sofa (as you sit on it) with the two wingbacks flanking the fireplace. I would choose a bit smaller scale sofa.

sergeantcuff thanked miss lindsey (She/Her)
  • aibdesigns
    6 years ago

It's a great room and I love the built ins! Is this an older home? 1930's or 40's era? They had some great built in's back then.

I would put the TV above the mantle, wall mounted. I would move the two blue chairs on either side of the couch facing the middle of the rug. Think of your fireplace as your focal point and everything else sort of in order to that and looking toward the fireplace and built ins. Also, roman shades would look great in your space, I got mine from Pottery Barn and love them. I would also move the piano to where your current TV is and remove the chair and table you have there, you can add a chair and maybe a small reading table but the furniture shouldn't be too overpowering in that space.

sergeantcuff thanked aibdesigns
  • PRO
    MDLN
    6 years ago

Bias: do not like TV's above fireplaces. Also, heat not good for electronics.

If you place TV that high on wall, you may want a recliner to view it in comfort.

sergeantcuff thanked MDLN
  • sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for all the kind words. And I want to thank the GW old timers who did not comment: "not THIS room again." I asked about curtains a long time ago, and about the fabric for these chairs - that I may now get rid of!

Beckysharp- yes I was thinking of Magnaverde. I should have followed his advice a long time ago. thanks for the link.

Mdln - I'm not crazy about it either. I still may keep TV in that corner. We care going to mock it up tomorrow. We don't really lie down, I'm not sure if he even wants a recliner. We rarely use the fireplace as it just sucks all the heat out of the rest of the house.

lindsey - no, the piano is two feet from a radiator on that side. The room just seems so crowded compared to those I see IRL and online. Because we have so few rooms, everything is in here!

Dhygarden- yes, what am a trying to hide? Unfortunately, the plaster wallboard wall area is not in the best condition and was recently patched and painted.

Aibdesigns- thanks. Yes, the house was built in the 30s. but I need my puzzle table!

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

I don't think I'd make TV the focal point of the room, since really only one person is a regular viewer. Could he enjoy his own TV corner at the end where you say there is a rad and window? Put it there with an armchair or a chaise for him. What is the maximum number of people you ever seat in this room at one time? I am going to suggest you keep your well-loved wing chairs and add another two slipper chairs in a nice grouping around your green hassock in front of the FP. The wings can angle either side of the FP, two smaller scale chairs can float around the hassock centered on the firebox. There should be some walk space behind or through the grouping. Get the piano off the exterior wall for its health. Put it down where the TV was but on the interior wall left of it. That will leave your puzzle/game/music area at that end.

Mix of chair styles.

Slipper chair for grouping if you want to stick with blue, and they'll look good with the green hassock

Chair for hubs at rad end of room - a pricey way to devote one area to his TV enjoyment.

Or go a lot cheaper with a chaise.

sergeantcuff thanked decoenthusiaste
  • sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

UPDATE. Pictures in following post

The big TV is here. My husband decided that he didn't want the TV over the mantle, as he felt it would be way too high, especially as he usually sits in one of the chairs near the fireplace. We found an old sideboard that is unusually low. It should probably be wider but it fits the space, I guess.

We have also picked out furniture but now I am faced with picking fabric which is always very hard for me. The sofa is fairly plain, a three seater with three turned legs and English arms. The swivel rocker chair seems a bit trendy? so I want to avoid a too trendy fabric on it. But it is the one my husband claims to find very comfortable.

• Yayagal
    6 years ago

Can't wait to see them, you have such good taste that whatever you do will look terrific.

sergeantcuff thanked Yayagal
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

It sounds like you're off to a good start. Can we see pictures?

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The TV. I need to straighten the cords somehow. I am looking for new lamps, but may not be able to keep a lamp on the closest table as it blocks part of the screen.

As graywings brought up earlier, I definitely want this room to be less formal, but not too trendy. Maybe more bohemian? The designer at the furniture store is very knowledgeable but I feel she is pushing me towards the safest fabric choices and I may feel like going bolder.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

That's a pretty, and comfortable looking, chair. It will be lovely after it gets livelied up a bit : ) .

sergeantcuff thanked beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
  • Sunnysmom
    6 years ago

You can add command hooks to the back of the cabinet and use zip ties to bind the cords up a little neater. You can also get a cable box organizer for either, they come in black or white, white would likely blend right in with your baseboard.

sergeantcuff thanked Sunnysmom
  • always1stepbehind
    6 years ago

Seargent: I just wanted to say and if I've mentioned it before I apologize for repeating myself but I just love your space. It looks so homey and welcoming.

sergeantcuff thanked always1stepbehind
  • DYH
    6 years ago

Good choice! If you want bold, go bold.

sergeantcuff thanked DYH
  • katinparadise
    6 years ago

following

sergeantcuff thanked katinparadise
  • miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Did you delete a comment? I could swear you posted a pic of some samples ??

I have been known to dream about dilemmas though...

Are you looking for ideas for the sofa fabric as well as the chairs? And are the swivel chairs in addition to the wingbacks or in place of them? I can't remember if you came to a decision on that.

• sergeantcuff
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Sunnysmom - Thanks for the hint. I think the command hook idea would be the easiest. It’s the little things that go undone, or lead to fussing by husbands that don’t notice such things.

always1 stepbehind - thank you for the compliment. I love your screen name; I can relate. I feel that I am on top of something, for once.

becky and dhygarden- thanks for checking back. I ended up not going bold, except for pillows. My rug has such a “presence”. I will update again when the furniture is delivered.

lindsey — haha you are right. I DID post pics of some samples. But none seemed right - they were all either too dark, too fancy, washed out, etc. I didn’t get any immediate responses so I went back to the store and got different samples. The kindly staff took an inordinate interest in my project and we found some fabrics that I think I’m going to be happy with. I really enjoyed the process.

I decided to replace both wing chairs. I kinda feel bad about getting rid of them but I think the whole place will seem fresher.

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

I love the choices you made :)

• miss lindsey (She/Her)
    6 years ago

Also, you can get cord organizer command hooks that are just slots for the cord to run through.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer