SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyingaz7

I'm sick, miserable and need a good book recommendation

DaisyinGA
6 years ago

I'm hoping for some good book recommendations. I'm tired, don't feel well, had a series of health setbacks, very discouraged and sad right now. I really, really, really need a good book to take my mind off of things. I'm hoping for something.... stellar, not just okay. Hoping for something easy to get into since I don't think I have the patience for something that takes a while to draw the reader in. I need something happy, not something sad, not something deep.

Not a fan of "good" literature for this particular purpose. Some of the books I've loved or liked a lot are the Ladies Number One detective series, Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Armand Gamache mysteries, Flavia de Luce series, Where'd You Go Bernadette. I like Bill Bryson but just can't get into any of his books right now. Read all of Sue Grafton, all of Dick Francis. I loved The Day the World Came to Town. Love Agatha Christie but read all of those, all of Dorothy Sayers.

I see Name of the Rose gets great reviews on Goodreads and I have it but just can't get into it. I thought Gentleman in Moscow was okay but not great.

Do you have any suggestions that are similar in feel to Ladies Number One Detective series? Not necessarily set in Africa but something not too tense, sort of gentle but still interesting, something that makes the reader feel happy at the end? Preferably not something that involves anybody having cancer or a debilitating illness. I would really, really appreciate it.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County