SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reesepbuttercup

Thoughtful gift clashes with kitchen WWYD?

Short version: My thoughtful boyfriend sent me a very nice kitchen aid stand mixer in red. I wanted a white one to go with my kitchen. He ordered it from Costco and they only have them in red, silver, black. Should I just live with it? Return it, and apply the money towards a white one which is $200 more at a different store?

Long version: I had a tilt-back KA mixer in red for ten years, receiving it as a wedding gift for my now defunct marriage. It was on the smaller side and underpowered. Also, one of the black plastic knobs broke off. I'm redoing my decor and getting rid of the red moving to a white/cream kitchen with some blue accents.

I mentioned something about my mixer to my boyfriend and he causally told me that I could have his, which is a white lift KA. Problem is that it is in storage out of state. I figured we'd get it in the next few months after the sale of his house there. Wasn't a big deal. During a yard sale this summer I decided to sell my old red mixer, anticipating getting his white one by the end of the year.

For whatever reason my boyfriend decided to just have a new KA mixer sent to me. I don't know if he determined he no longer had his, if it was being sold with his house (he's selling it furnished) or what. Costco has the lift mixers for an amazing price ($250) and I'm sure he saw that and just had one sent to me. Maybe he forgot I wanted white or got confused because I had a red one.

My boyfriend is extremely thoughtful and sweet, I don't want him to get the impression I'm difficult nor do I want to turn gifting presents into an arduous process. He has given me and my kids gifts in the past and a few times I had to exchange them (video games for the wrong Xbox console for example).

So what would you do? Just deal with the red one? It has to live on my counter, I don't have the space to store it elsewhere. I can get a white one from Macy's, but it's a couple hundred more than the red one at Costco.

Here's my kitchen inspiration picture, my kitchen is identical in colors (linen/putty cabs, white appliances, Carrara counters. Red definitely stands out. I don't mind it at Christmas but I really don't want red all year. Kitchen is highly visible in my open concept house. Would the silver KA be better? It looks more like gray than stainless and maybe it would clash with the cabinets

Comments (14)