SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19811246

Your thoughts on this farmhouse kitchen I need to plan out asap?

User
13 years ago

Late last year I bought a 1901 house because two teenage girls came to live with us and our original house was too small. Now, one girl is leaving, and I need to get the house ready for a) us to move into anyway since it's still pretty cramped here! or b) to rent out or c) to resell, not sure which yet!

This is not going to be one of those beautiful gardenweb 50K kitchen remodels with every detail divinely inspired. I've used GW heavily for my current house, but on this one, I just have to make decisions very quickly and cheaply, or I risk running out of money. Unfortunately, I'm not very gifted at reenvisioning rooms, so I could really use some help from you experts at GW!

I don't want to gut this kitchen and start from scratch, due to budget. I want to use all the elements I reasonably can and make the best of them. But, the placement of the fridge and sink are so bad, we have to move them. There is a very large radiator that takes up a lot of space. Once we move the fridge out of the "bad" corner, we have a real mess in that corner. And we have to cover up a bad spot in the floor where there was a lot of water damage long ago.

All our cabinets are very rough, made by the owner with a circular saw long ago. I won't try to match them exactly, just add ones that won't clash too much. I'm thinking about using butcher blocks on the counters because these look good in farmhouses. The radiator is tough, but I'd prefer to keep it - maybe remove that strange casing around it, set it back on the floor and put a side table over it.

I want to know your thoughts in bolting cabinets under that breakfast bar (which is structural support), and what you would do with that terrible corner where the fridge was. Or really anything else you think of. We're repainting this kitchen from that dreary blue to a cream and white palette with white beadboard behind the counters, and probably white subway tile behind the Tappan oven. Thank you so much for reading this, I know it's long!

Comments (12)