SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hsw_sc

WWYD? Possible move drowning kitchen plans...

13 years ago

Long story short is that DH and I may be moving out-of-state within the next year/year and a half. I have been pouring over this site (and others), checking out magazines, meeting with counter fabricators, spec-ing appliances, etc. hoping that we'd be able to do a full overhaul on our mid-90's kitchen.

Ah well, life changes and you have to move on. We are still moving forward and prettying up two baths and replacing worn carpet with new hardwood floors in our family room this summer. My question is this:

Would you still redo a kitchen even though you knew you'd be moving? Not a full gut job, mind you, but new counters? A new sink? Replace white appliances with stainless (which is still VERY popular in our area). I have been planning a marble/soapstone kitchen for ages, but I'm pretty certain that that would not be very appealing to those that may look at our house in the future (plus it might be a waste since I wouldn't get to enjoy it for very long). DH says that it's a waste of money to do what I'm proposing to make the kitchen more appealing to (questionably) eventual buyers.

Currently we have cabinets that are in OK shape, a new SS DW, white drop-in Kohler sink with two bowls, white gas stove, a OTR MW (that we never use), white FD fridge and heinous Formica "Colorado Slate" countertops (no offensae to anyone that may have these countertops, they are just not my taste). I'd love to put in some granite, a new undermount sink, a tile backsplash and then eventually bring in some less expensive (than I wanted originally) SS appliances and make it nicer looking. Hell, I'd be perfectly happy just getting rid of the counters we have now!

So, what would you do if you knew that you "might" be moving in 12-18 months? Spend the money or just let it ride the way it is? I'd be happy to post some pictures if it would help visualize the ugly that I cook in now.

/and thanks to anyone that actually reads all of this!

Comments (33)