SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danielle_preston

WWYD - galley kitchen partial remodel help

Danielle Preston
7 years ago

I've been lurking here for YEARS. Well, I am finally getting a kitchen of my own to tackle! We are moving into this house in a few weeks. A full kitchen remodel is not in the cards quite yet (probably going to tackle that in 5-10 years), but I'd like to bring this into this decade in the meantime.... on a budget.

My (loose) plan so far:

- Resurface countertops. I'm thinking of trying my hand at a concrete overlay.
- Replace backsplash
- Replace sink and faucet (I got a killer deal on this sink on Craigslist. It's been sitting in my closet for 6 months and I'm desperate to install it. It's seriously gorgeous.)
- Remove uppers near peninsula and replace with open shelving
- Paint all other uppers white
- Replace cabinet hardware
- Replace appliances with stainless as I can find deals on Craigslist. (This one may take a while.... or not happen at all. We shall see.)

I don't think that removing the soffits is in the budget/plan for now (though they'll be the first things to go when we finally do a full remodel). So, what the heck to do around the fridge??? I'm thinking of installing another light on the peninsula end of the soffit (like the one above the sink) to make that end look intentional. But the area above the fridge has me stumped. How would you handle it? What would you do with the soffit on the other side? I was thinking about just trimming it out and painting it the same as the uppers BUT there is the problem of how to trim out the end to the left of the stove. The soffit overhangs the side of the cabinet by a good 2" and goes straight into the edge of the wall. Does anyone have any pictures of something like this? Also, I was planning to leave the pantry cabinet wood.... but then I wouldn't be able to paint the soffit above it.

These soffits are going to be the end of me. I suppose I could just leave them as-is and live with it. But I really, really hate them. A lot. HALP!

And any other suggestions are welcome! My style is a combination of modern/industrial/transitional....

Pictures:

Comments (5)