SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quesera1970

WWYD to update this kitchen?

quesera1970
8 years ago

Hello all,

Having recently completed a kitchen remodel and then moved out of state a year later, I find myself back in the kitchen forum. We have a contract on a house which we love, except for the kitchen, pics attached. Nothing wrong with it, but not at all our taste. However, the layout is pretty good, given the space, the cabinets themselves are decent--9 year old Merrillat with soft close, the granite is acceptable, and seems wasteful to start over. While I miss my 36" range and never use a double oven, I can live with all of it.

so, I welcome suggestions and thoughts for how to freshen it up. The things we do not like are, more or less in this order, the two tone wood theme (would greatly prefer all white); the arch thingy on the traditional looking cabinets; the fact that the cabinets stop 12" below the ceiling; the more traditional panel cabinets rather than a more modern or shaker look.

We have considered the following possibilities in order of pain/money/time:

1) paint everything white, replace hardware, maybe replace butcher block with a light stone (quartz, etc) that harmonizes with the granite (which is blackish with green and brown flecks) and call it a day for…3k?

2) paint everything white and replace the offending doors only with a non arch panel

3) paint everything white and replace all the doors with shaker or something more modern (Barker? Scherrs?)

4) paint everything white and replace the 30" cabinets with 36" uppers and crown moulding (to match the pantry piece); and replace the doors (at which point, it might be nearly the same cost to just get new cabs, replace everything, and put in backsplash and granite we love, but now we're talking $$$ and time).

Comments (28)