SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kahlanne_gw

Clash of styles?

kahlanne
12 years ago

I really need help deciding if a poster is worth framing for my living room. Dh says it is too out of character with our living room and looks cheap. (It doesn't help matters that he isn't crazy about the subject matter, Wizard of Oz.) The poster is very graphic in style. It can be seen here...

http://www.wizardofozclothing.com/catalog/Wizard_of_Oz_Wicked_Witch_24_x_36_Poster_235

Wizard of Oz was always my favorite show. I love vintage posters but am not sure this one is quite vintage. I do love the take on the subject matter though. It isn't your typical Wizard of Oz which I love. I also happen to love poppies and have a smaller print of a single poppy in a vase on my mantel. I **think** framing this would make it not look so cheap but I don't want to spend that much money and be wrong. Would you frame it with a simple black frame or a more ornate one? What about matting? This would be the only photo of this style in the room but the size is perfect for one small wall behind the sofa.

Description of Living Room

It is very casual with a rustic/tuscanish style. I wasn't really going with a theme per se and would like it to be eclectic. The sofa is large brown leather with rolled arms and giant nailhead trim. The loveseat is the same as the sofa but the overstuffed back cushions are chenille brown and gold diamond print. I have a goldish brown chair-n-half that is transitional style. We have a very rustic, earthy red cabinet housing our electronics. There is a white built-in that is 19' long, floor to ceiling. The lower portion has picture molding style doors and the upper portion is open glass shelving. I painted the interior of the cabinets moss green. Our coffee table is an enormous black square with four 18X18 slate tiles. The legs are Asian in style. I painted the table distressed black. We have two more tables in the room, a round chunky pedestal based and a drop leaf kitchen table. The pedestal based one reminds you of a very small scale kitchen table. It is only 2' tall and 1.5' wide. The drop leaf is wood on top with four black spindle legs. The open shelving has everything from books, family photos, artwork,etc. I have a collection of crosses hung on one large wall. Around the wall hung tv, I have a small collection of framed art that I add to as I find pieces I love. There is a watercolor of a granny feeding chickens by the barn, a framed needle print of alphabet from 1771, and an old watercolor of plantation under live oak trees with a poem underneath. On our large fireplace mantel is a matted, framed poppy print, a big red tin star and a green smaller star, a cast iron vested monkey candle holder, a weird spiral bowl with black and white spotted balls, and my favorite a large, matted and expensively framed poster of Madonna and Child. The style is a cross between Kadinsky and and Klimt.Lastly there is a Persian wool rug.

At some point I would love to frame two photographs that I took for the room. I want them printed large and money is the issue.) They are a photo of a rustic, run down, red barn in a hay field in the afternoon light and a photo taken in the streets of New Orleans. It a black and white of a homeless man shadowed in the doorway of a famous cafe with only the streetlights shining above at night. It is very dark and intense. Some time in the future these will be added to the room. Would this change your opinion of the Wizard of Oz being in the room?

Comments (13)