SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann_marr26

Please help with tree selection and placement

Ann Marr
6 years ago

My daughter bought her first house this summer and named me official gardener. Then she asked me to choose a tree and I don't know anything about doing that. It is Zone 4a - not far from Chicago. Sandy soil - small sections of flower beds look and act like beach sand, but most are more like dirt.

This is a very hot backyard. Photo was taken from about 10 feet from the house and is facing full west. The sun sets to the left of the big tree beyond the yard. There is no shade from the west or south. Want a tree to hopefully (eventually) shade the second story of the house and to shade the area so the yard is not so blasted hot that you don't want to be there in the afternoon. At least it is a blank slate with no existing plantings to worry about.

Utility post is against the back fence. Wires run along the back fence and up both sides of the yard to the house. The area is about 40 x 40 feet. The cement is a patio with a curved edge.

Daughter doesn't insist on a fast growing tree, but she wants something that isn't messy or hard to mow under. She said she would love an elm at the back by the fence, but the wires don't allow that.

I want to do something so that as time goes on, daughter ends up with a nicely designed yard that people want to be in.

Help me, please! I need suggestions for one or more trees that will not take over the whole yard when mature and kill the grass, but will give some decent shade. Also, where would you plant them?

Comments (21)