SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petes67bird

Red, blue, white wires in Light switch

petes67bird
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hello everyone. I am hoping someone can give me some piece of mind before our electrician can make it out later this week. I decided this weekend I wanted to replace a light switch to a dimmer. Seems easy enough, until I took the light switch out. This light switch is the only one that controls the hallway light.

Upon removing the light, there is a metal junction box. There are two conduits with wiring in the box entering from the top. The conduit on the top left has a red wire, blue wire and white wire. The conduit on the right only has a blue and white wire. The old switch had the red wire on the top, and both blue wires on the bottom of the switch. The white wires were capped together in the box. I opened 4 other switches throughout the house and all were wired this way. I pulled the actual light fixture down and the light was connected to a red and white wire, while blue wires were capped and unused.

Next I disconnected everything and separated the wiring. I turned the fuse back on and tested for live wires. The red wire had no current with the fuse on. The blue wire coming in on the left was hot, the blue wire on the right was not hot. Both white wires which were capped were not hot as well.

I have never seen this before which is why I now have an appointment for Thursday or Friday for him to come look over all the switches. I am used to a black/red and a white wire with a ground as well. Never seen any deviation ever to this in the past. Thanks for any help you provide

Comments (29)