SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avsj

3 Wire Switch from 4 Wire Power

avsj
16 years ago

I've searched the forum for this problem and have found similar, but not an identical question. I apologize if the forum thinks this has been answered already -

I bought an electronic timer switch that has blue, black, red, and ground wires. I want to replace a manual switch that has black through the switch, black/white on common, and ground connected. I connected the new switch and simply capped off one of the black wires and it worked - unfortunately, it also turned every other socket in the room on an off too! So, obviosuly, the switch is NOT at the end of the circuit but interrupts the rest of the room's circuits. The problem is the light fixture has a 3 wire conduit (black, white, ground) and the rest of the ciruit has a four wire conduit (black, white, black/white, ground). How do I wire this so only the light fixture gets the switch and the rest of the power continues through the room regardless of the switch position?

I was going to try wiring the black from the light to the switch's black, the power's black and black/white together to the blue wire, ground to ground and ignore the red (it's not a 2 switch connection). Does that sound right?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment (1)