SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wanttoretire

Ideas on how to adjust corner built in to accommodate larger TV?

West_Coaster
6 years ago

Struggling with what how to adjust/reconfigure my corner TV cabinet to accommodate a larger TV.

Background: we added built ins about 20+ yrs ago at a time when TV technology was different. At that time, a 32" diagonal screen was pretty good sized and the standard perspective was different. So we had it built to just accommodate a 32", which also left space on either side for nicely sized shelving. The corner opening is 32" wide.

Today: Obviously things are different. TVs have the wide screen format, and a larger screen size can be purchased for far less money. I think the old Sony CRT in the pic below was almost a thousand bucks at the time.

Dilemma: How to reconfigure the corner for a larger TV while keeping the corner unit attractive.

Options I have considered:

1. Widen the entire corner area, but keep side shelving. Most obvious solution, but the problem is the shelving on either side would become so narrow as to be almost unusable, esp on the right side where it is already narrower than the left. The boss has initially nixed this option. And would this look odd with keeping below cabinets as is?

2. Widen the lower open area where TV currently is so there is no shelving on either side, but keep the shelving width on the upper portion as is. This might be most viable option. Would need to be careful that new TV wouldn't be so large as to have viewing angle from left cutoff (seating across the room not shown). So basically about the upper 40% percent would have current shelving in center, the dividers on either side would be adjusted and shelving on either side would then be in line with current shelving in center.

3. Just put a wall mount back in the corner of existing and have new larger TV float in front of current configuration - don't like that look.

4. Keep as is and buy smaller TV - Have looked into this one. Unfortunately, with the wider perspective, the screen size is pretty small in relation to the seating distance.

Thoughts? Have others faced similar dilemmas? Other options?

thanks for your feedback!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
More Discussions