SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_adams3049647

Help ID this rose, and see my HUGE friend

Lisa Adams
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I am in Bakersfield,CA for a few days, visiting a dear girl who’s like a daughter to me. She and her husband just had a little boy, and I’m loving playing grandma to their kids. They have roses in the yard, and I find one especially intriguing. It’s a small polyantha bush with small, pale pink blooms. I first thought it might be a small form of my grandmother’s rose, which I have been looking to ID for years. Alas, I do not detect the spicy fragrance that would instantly transport me back to my childhood. I’m still interested in taking cuttings of this rose and bringing it home to propagate. The home was built in 1942 and the yard redone in 2000. They purchased the home about two years ago and are lovingly restoring and updating it. They also have two large dogs, one of which has taken a tremendous liking to me. I could hardly get a rose photo without “Marc Anthony” in it. Did I mention he’s HUGE? He’s a Great Dane and can knock me off my feet with his love, literally. It’s almost disconcerting to find him looming over my chair, and meeting him eye to eye! Good thing Marc Anthony is such a love, as he’d be extremely intimidating otherwise. Here’s some pictures of both rose and Marc. Can anyone help with ID? Thanks much.

Bush shot with Marc for size reference:)

The little blooms are petal packed and abundant in a shaded area of the garden.

Small sized, medium green leaves in fives.

Bud and the reverse. Few to medium small thorns and prickles, spaced well apart.

Fragrance lacking, but it could be my clogged nose or the dry heat wave we are in the midst of.

He really IS friendly, I promise!

Thanks for your help! Lisa

Comments (29)

• lavenderlacezone8
    6 years ago

Hmmm, can't identify the rose but that beautiful garden and Marc Anthony deserve a comment. Very handsome boy!

Lisa Adams thanked lavenderlacezone8
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

He is handsome isn’t he, Lav? The yard is lovely with pond, waterfall, hibiscus, bougainvilleas and roses. Everything is in bloom. There are more roses out front that I have not yet investigated! Lisa

• Related Discussions

Something eating my roses, picture for ID please Help

Q

Comments (2)
    Rose slugs, aka sawfly larva...gross! Pick 'em off and squish 'em, or pitch them way far away into the yard. Keep an eagle eye out for more, and check the undersides of your leaves, too. They can be quite small. My husband and I would tag-team the roses...he would spot, I would squish. Eventually we got them all, or most of them. Now that it is hot and rainy we are dealing with a host of other tiny critters that move infintely faster than the rose slugs. *sigh* Just can't WAIT for the Jap Beetles to show up! :o/
    ...See More

My Rose Garden with pictures, now ID help!

Q

Comments (5)
    The first one is a beauty. Used to grow one like it, but wouldn't you know, I can't remember the name for the life of me. Wish I could help, but I want you to know how much I enjoyed viewing your roses. And love that iron fence behind them. Kate
    ...See More

Please ID my friends rose...

Q

Comments (1)
    Maybe Margo Koster? Here is a link that might be useful: Help me find
    ...See More

A HUGE Thank You to my GW friends

Q

Comments (6)
    You can't do that with a computer! Our current school mantra is how wonderful technology is. I'm so glad there are people who do it hands-on. Talk about living the experience!!! This is also one of those things that I remind people when we all get to heaven we're going to sit on clouds and hear all the stories. You'll hear all about the kid who never planted a seed until they met you...the kid who took the tomato plant home for the summer and harvested 100 pounds of tomatoes and fed his 3 sisters and 2 brothers and saved seed for next year...the kid who took home a flower and their grandmother started talking about her flowers when she was a kid. We'll have eternity to hear the great stories!! Nobody will care about who died with the biggest pile of money or that they were buried in their Gucci shoes. It's the stories that will live! You're a living blessing! Heidi
    ...See More
  • Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

If it IS fragrant, and you just couldn't detect the fragrance, I'd guess it was 'Mlle Cécile Brunner' or some close relative.

I like the looks of your big new friend- he looks very sweet.

Virginia

Lisa Adams thanked Vicissitudezz
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I was thinking it might be Cecile Brunner myself, Virginia. I will pick a bloom and have everyone else give it a sniff. I’m noticing on HMF that only climbing MCB mentions the spicy fragrance in the description, while the bush form only says “apple”. Is the bush form substantially less fragrant than the climber? Lisa

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

Marc Anthony looks as though he's still trying to control those gangly legs. Is he still a large pup? My thought was also Cecile Brunner, but it does have a definite fragrance, so I would hand it around to everyone for a sniff test. It looks as though it's been heavily pruned to fit its location. You've taken very good shots for ID purposes.

Lisa Adams thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

Lisa, I don't actually have 'Mlle Cécile'. I do have both the climbing and spray versions, but you wouldn't want to rely on me for opinions about fragrance...

When I can smell them, they smell rosy and sweet; I don't recollect any spiciness, but I wasn't aware that I should be sniffing for that.

Virginia

Lisa Adams thanked Vicissitudezz
  • Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello again, thanks for your congrats and responses. Ingrid, Marc is two years old, so still rather young. He is gangly and exuberant as many youngsters are. His constantly wagging tail packs quite a wallup.

I’ve passed a bloom around, and it’s difficult for anyone to detect much fragrance at all. Kim, I think you’re right about the Bakersfield temps preventing us from smelling its fragrance. Thanks for the advice about cutting and bringing buds into the kitchen. That’s just what I’ll do. It sure looks like me grandmother’s “pink garage coverer”, in a small bush form. I would love for it to be the one. I’ll report back after the buds have been in the kitchen a while. I long for it to smell the way I remember, and would be overjoyed to have finally IDed the old family rose. This small bush form would mean I would have the space for it. How awesome would that be!?! Lisa

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

"Pink garage coverer" sure sounds like Climbing Cecile... Where did your grandmother live?

Virginia

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Virginia, my grandparents lived in San Marcos, CA. The same as I still do. I would know that peppery scent anywhere, although it’s been almost 40 years since I’ve smelled it. I just don’t smell it yet, on this rose. Lisa

• Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

Hmmm... does Climbing Old Blush have a peppery scent? I feel sure that it could also be a pink garage eater... I don't remember what 'Old Blush' smells like...

Virginia

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

It looks a lot like CB to me, too, although the blooms look larger in the photo with your hand behind them. To my nose, both CB and Perle d'Or carry a bit of that "peppery" or spicy aroma. I wonder about the origins of the scent. You might try the rose bowl technique for fragrance detection. A glass covered candy dish works well. Carol

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

What about 'Pink Pet, although it does have the inimitable structure of CB? I don't actually grow PP, but I know it's not fragrant and the open flowers look similar. Here's some recent pics of my regular CB. I wish I had a good one of the bud because it's so distinctive. I will look on my older postings.

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hmm, I don’t know what to think. Pink Pet looks similar, but this rose definitely has no lilac cast to the pink. This one is more true pink, getting lighter pink pretty quickly as the blooms age. It looks much fuller than your pictures above, Virginia. although I’m sure that can be quite variable. Everything here has been trimmed with a heavy hand, by their yard guys. Even a darling Japanese Maple has been sheared into an almost hedge like square. I could only find one bud to cut. I cut that, and as many newer looking blooms that I could find. They are in the kitchen, as per Kim’s suggestion. It’s a charming little rose, whatever it is. There are some rather nice orange and red roses here too, but you know how I feel about orange! I’ll post another picture after dinner. Virginia, I’m totally unfamiliar with Old Blush, other than the name. I’ll check out Old Blush on HMF. You all have been great help so far! Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m beginning to detect a slight fragrance from one bloom. We are leaving tomorrow, so I’ll take some cuttings and transport them in a cooler. I’ve never rooted cuttings before, so this will be a first. I hope it’s an easy rose to root! Lisa

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Vapovac, that's a great point about CB's buds! They look like perfect, tiny, Hybrid Tea buds, and they unfurl like HT blooms. It's only when a CB blossom is fully open that it turns into a pom-pom.

Good luck with your cuttings, Lisa! I hope they root. Your "found rose" is absolutely charming!

Carol

• nikthegreek
    6 years ago

Looks like CB to me.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    6 years ago

Lisa, I can't help with the ID I'm afraid, though I did think CB, but what do I know?! Just wanted to say I think Marc Anthony has good taste, and that he looks adorable. I saw him popping up on Nik's thread too!

• Embothrium
    6 years ago

'Brunner' seems likely to me also.

• roseseek
    6 years ago

Lisa, the wood and foliage of your rose is also pretty characteristic of Mlle Cecile Brunner. I think you've nailed it.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    6 years ago

I have no opinion except that it is lovely

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Update: I’m just about to take cuttings as we will be leaving in a bit. I’m charmed by this rose, but it doesn’t have the fragrance I remember from my grandmother’s rose. They have almost no fragrance in spite of being in a busy kitchen for 18 hours. I’ll be researching Kim’s burrito method on the way home! Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The blooms remind me of The Faun, but the bush is upright. Lisa

• Lisa Adams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Here’s another rose in the garden. Too bad I’m not into orange. Lots of blooms. Lisa

• roseseek
    6 years ago

The foliage looks right for Brunner, but the later flower photos also remind me of Newport, whose foliage is different from the photos. You can try the Burrito Method, but my experience is it works better on material which has already gone through a "winter period" where it hasn't been flowering nor actively growing. I wrapped various varieties for the presentation last night and some callused, but quite a few hadn't. It's highly varietal dependent outside of the optimal time. You can also try taking cuttings long enough for two-thirds to three-quarters of their length to be inserted into potting soil in a gallon can, with only an inch of two protruding from the soil and only one or two leaflets remaining attached, then placed in filtered light under other bushes or in the shade on the north side of the house. I root hibiscus like that and have had roses perform similarly. No one method works identically on every rose, every season, in every location, so if it isn't easy to obtain more, try several pieces using several methods. "Hedge your bet!" Good luck!

Lisa Adams thanked roseseek
  • Vicissitudezz
    6 years ago

Lisa, I was just posting a few photos from this summer of my Spray Cecile, and noticed that the fragrance was described as strong and peppery; the other forms are the same or similar according to Kim.

Whether the rose you posted photos of is Mlle Cécile or something else, you may need to check out one of the Cecile Brunner forms; it may very well have been the spray form (sold for years as 'Bloomfield Abundance') or one of the climbing forms (a once-blooming cathedral-eater or the reblooming kind that might not get quite as huge?) that your grandmother had on her garage. I wish I could share cuttings with you, but would not dare to send any kind of plant material to CA.

Good luck with your cuttings! Regardless of the method(s) you use, be sure to protect them from critters.

Virginia

• portlandmysteryrose
    6 years ago

Just to chime in and support Virginia's suggestion, when you described your grandmother's rose as a spice-scented structure eater, my first thought was of climbing Cecile Brunner. You may be able to find a shrub version in bloom somewhere in your neighborhood. If so, I recommend asking for a cutting of the flower cluster, taking it home and placing it in a covered rose bowl...or glass lidded candy dish or small vintage Corning Visions glass pot with lid or small glass or ceramic bowl with a glass lid plopped on top, etc. The intimate quarters of the enclosed container warms up in a few hours while it sits on the counter, and the aroma is captured within for perfect sniffing conditions. Side note: covered flower displays (rose bowls or vases under glass domes) work yummy wonders with parma violets, too!

I'm not 100% convinced your "found" rose is CB. How large would you say the bloom diameter is? Carol

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    6 years ago

I don't believe it's The Faun, which I also have, which has more petals that are more tightly furled. It never gets the slightly droopy and open look that the older blooms of your rose shows. At the moment, with all the heat it's also more apricot than pink.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    6 years ago

It was very windy today so hard to get a good pic. Sorry, but hopefully you can see what we mean about the buds from these lousy pics.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz