SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raiinbow1234

Decorating dilemma

Flower Girl
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi all, so I have a decorating dilemma with my foyer area of my house, as you can see in the pictures I do have 2 story ceilings if that matters at all, I’m looking for ideas of what sort of decorative something to place under my gold framed mirror to offset the gold, and don’t say a long narrow bowl for keys etc, because I ve been looking for something like that forever and can’t find anything that would work, no wood please. I was thinking of buying a glass long narrow low vase and plant trailing little bead like plant in it to trail down, I’m not sure though , any suggestions? I’m also looking for a bench to go underneath that mirror to sit on when putting shoes on but not sure what to look for, something elegant and not too bulky, maybe with metal legs but nothing with gold because there is too much gold gong on already, I think I want the entrance to look elegant.

As you can see in the pictures I have another niche in the wall across from the mirror with a gold sculpture on the ledge, I’m wanting to maybe place a fine art picture above that or any other suggestions? I’m not sure on Colour either, help!!!! any suggestions? Thank you. The shell you see is not staying there , my husband put it there,

Comments (44)

• PRO
    The Welcome Home: Interior Design Solutions
    6 years ago

I would keep it simple and maybe add an orchid. Center it on the mirror. It will be reflected in the mirror to double the visual impact but be spare enough that you will still be able to see the entire mirror. I don't recommend a bench because people would bang their heads. It's just not practical. You could add wood molding or a short metal scrollwork mounted to the wall to add interest but I recommend keeping it simple. If it would fit, you could put the bench on the section of wall beside the mirror and shelf (over the heat register) as long as the door won't hit it when fully opened. A large area rug would also add some texture and warmth to the space and reduce the echo.

Flower Girl thanked The Welcome Home: Interior Design Solutions
  • dover P
    6 years ago

A nice orchid and how about a round ottoman

• Related Discussions

paint color and decor dilemma

Q

Comments (7)
    Here's how I do samples at home. I paint a wall the same white as the trim. Then use a posterboard and paint it. Carry and place the posterboard around the room at different times of day. Look at it in corners, near your windows, adjacent to furniture. Yes, for sure get some light in there. Another note is that for interior softer colors, you have to go more muted than you think, if you're not accustomed to choosing indoor paint colors. Go for more shaded colors. p.s. Lori Sawaya is a true color expert, who trains others who aspire to be color experts. Try her recommendations first.
    ...See More

Decor dilemma!

Q

Comments (15)
    It looks worse after you lowered it. Why do you even need the tv stand? I have mine hung on the wall with nothing under it and it makes the LR feel so much roomier. If you need a BluRay player or game or something,, you can get one of those little shelves that are made for that and go under the tv very low key. I disagree with a bunch of pictures and plants or anything else surrounding the tv. It distracts from what you are trying to watch.
    ...See More

Decorating dilemma

Q

Comments (0)
    This is my foyer. Im looking for ideas on decorating. I'm not sure what to put on the wall where the white dresser is. I just have the large round mirror but am not sure if it's big enough. I'd also like to add a small bench to sit on. And need some ideas on rugs etc.
    ...See More

Decorating dilemma

Q

Comments (3)
    We need pictures of the area to guide you.
    ...See More
  • Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

A round ottoman in the centre of the foyer,I don’t think it’s big enough to haveso,ethi g placed right in the middle of the foyer, hmmmm

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

To have something placed

• arcy_gw
    6 years ago

If it were my house I would want the door on the right as we see the picture to be the everyday moving door. Remove the little table. Install hooks/bench on the wall near the left side of the door on the flat wall, there are some wonderful antique one around--but they aren't really your aesthetic. Your key bowl can go on the dresser you have in the niche farther down from the door. A bench in the niche would make people bang heads on the shelf.

• imhofan
    6 years ago

I would remove the niches and shelves-drywall for one long wall and place long open console, two lamps, bench tucked under and your mirror over. Add a large rug for texture or color.

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Arcy, the right door doesn’t open first the other door is the main door, the bench under the niche would only be used for putting bags and items on, not to put shoes on as I stated in my first story.

imhofan, we won’t be doing any drywall changes there, it will stay the same, just wanting suggestions on the as is look of the walls with the niches.

im going to place a coat rack in the left hand corner for jackets.

any other suggestions?

the ottoman sounds like a good idea but not sure if it would be too small in that area for one.

i don’t like orchids and I want people to see themselves in the mirror instead of an orchid in front of its, any other suggestions ?

• zmith
    6 years ago

Hello, Flower Girl

Your foyer has built-in symmetry. You seem to be leaning towards Art Deco styling in your decor. I agree you need to add a few things to balance out the space. The sculpture is nice but it's too small for the niche. You could add a small print above it, or find a larger sculpture for that spot. I know, easier said than done. :)
    You say you'd like an ottoman for below the left niche. I'm glad you clarified the ottoman wouldn't be used to take off/put on shoes, as I'm imaging the shelf would be a "head-bumper." Perhaps a small, shallow accent table to balance out the cabinet under the sculpture. It may be that if you put an ottoman there, you will be inviting folks to have a seat there.

I found this gorgeous tray on Etsy. I'm not sure if it will fit on your shelf, tho. And you said you wanted to get away from gold, but here it is anyway...

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for your feedback. I’m wanting a bench under the mirror not an ottoman, and I think I’ll put a metal delicate sculpture on the wall above the sculpture

• tatts
    6 years ago

If you put a bench there, someone will sit on it. And when they get up, they will snag the underside of that shelf.

• mnmamax3
    6 years ago

What about a tray of succulents for some color under the mirror? I fear anything trailing will also have height that will interfere with the mirror. I think it would be hard to highlight the sculpture with another art piece above it. Maybe a pedestal of sorts to raise the art to the center of the niche space? Or a piece of simple, modern color block art to lean against the wall behind the sculpture?

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Mnmamax3 what do u mean by Moden Color Block?

• mnmamax3
    6 years ago

Thanks Katin - exactly what I meant but didn't have time to look for. :)

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

You're welcome mnmamax3! I was going to suggest that or framing out with thin molding and painting a different color behind the sculpture. Elevating it to add height is a good idea as well-perhaps a lucite box or something similar.

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I understand now the Color block art, any suggestions on size and Color or frame? Yes I like that vase with Flowers , very nice, thank you !

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Although I like the idea of the block art behind the sculpture, I’m having a hard time finding something online that is exactly like the picture you showed, of course I wouldn’t want the blue like in the picture, I’m looking for more ivory Color on the bottom of a picture to bring out the sculpture gold colour and then a warm Color on top , no cold colours , I want to bring warmth into the foyer area, help ! It’s difficult to find a painting that works, another dilemma is should I chose a canvas picture or a glass framed picture, lean it against the niche in the wall or hang it? I’m thinking not to look for canvas art as it would be too thick and I think I’m wanting a more delicate look ? Help !

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

Here is an artist on Etsy who can do custom colors. Perhaps you can have something done and then download it and have it printed and framed in the size you need. If you stick with standard sizes, it will be much less expensive than custom framing. https://www.etsy.com/listing/294396387/minimalist-printable-art-black-and-white?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=color%20block%20art%20print&ref=sr_gallery_13

Glad you like the vase with flowers. Something like that would be easy to replicate as well. They are artificial flowers with artificial water.

• PRO
    eWallArt
    6 years ago

Hi Flower Girl,

Regarding the niche, I would suggest something like the following:

What do you think?

DJ from eWallArt

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m looking for warm colours like ivory Color on the bottom and browns, rustic on top, ivory or lighter on bottom so to see the sculpture, what do you think of that? I know it’s going to be hard to find though

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Katin paradise, I’ll check out Etsy, thank you!

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

You're welcome. Sometimes when you're looking for something specific you only have 2 options-paint it yourself or have it custom made to your tastes. Good luck!

Flower Girl thanked katinparadise
  • decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

decoenthusiaste - at the risk of repeating myself...

Remove all the furniture from the foyer. Consider the two niches and their
    decor as the focal point. Buy a rug to place between them and out of the
    door swing area. There should be about 12-18" of floor exposed in front
    of each of the niches. Use painter's tape to rough out this shape and
    get the size. Then hang a classy chandelier between the niches. If you
    like the idea of mirrors you could do that in the upper niches so the
    chandy reflects for high impact bling. It is possible you could set a
    round table on the rug and top it with one of the pieces you now have on
    the ledges. Depends on clearance for walking around the table. We need
    some measurements to be more helpful.

This is too big for your area, but just to show the concept.

• mnmamax3
    6 years ago

That last one is good. The bottom looks like old Italian plaster and the top gives it some substance.

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes I love the bottom picture!

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Where can I get it?

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Decoenthisaste I love that look with the table but my area isn’t big enough unfortunately

• decoenthusiaste
    6 years ago

"I think I want the entrance to look elegant." & "I'm going to place a coat rack in the left hand corner for jackets" are oxymorons!

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes you r right, I’m not putting a coat rack in the corner, it won’t work with the elegance I’m looking for, we have a closet close by so no need for a coat rack

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m looking for a box or something to place my sculpture on, any suggestions and pictures of what might work? Maybe something to be bought on housse?

• katinparadise
    6 years ago

I don't know the exact depth of your niche or the length of your sculpture, but I would do something simple like this that doesn't detract from the sculpture or art.

http://www.shoppopdisplays.com/10193/long-acrylic-riser-4h-x-6w-x-4d.html

• PRO
    eWallArt
    6 years ago

Hi Flower Girl,

i don’t know if you were expressing a concern about purchasing outside of Houzz, but our catalog is updated periodically on Houzz subject to their review and approval process. The canvas print above will be added to our Houzz catalog soon, but we have no control over when they approve that.

i just wanted to address the concern you seem to be expressing above.

All our return policies, etc are the same whether you purchase on our site or through Houzz.

Kind regards,

DJ from eWallArt

• chickadee2_gw
    6 years ago

I agree with Imhofan and would remove those shelves in a heartbeat. They really limit what you can do design wise in your hallway and aren't work the real estate they're taking up.

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like the shelving chickadee, definitely won’t be changing that, sell looking for so,etching to put on the wall behind the sculpture, maybe 3 wall decor on the wall

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sorry, still looking for something

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

No not liking the plastic to elevate the sculpture, looks cheap

• lascatx
    6 years ago

I wouldn't put anything under the niches and especially not two different kinds of things plus a table away from the wall by the door. If you want an elegant look in this space, I think less is more. I might paint the walls on the back of the niche a darker shade or different color and the shelf a lighter or darker shade and then put all my effort into art. You might be able to put a minimal console between the door and the niche if you really need a landing space, but I would really resist the urge to over-furnish the space.

• Uma Lee
    6 years ago

Would you consider painting the doors? It would be a fairly inexpensive update. I was thinking black. Or even have them refinished in a dark stain if you want to keep the wood.

• imhofan
    6 years ago

Yes, a different door stain that works better w/wall tone is a great idea. I would encourage you to heed the advice of "less is more". If you still are keeping the mirror in one niche--move your brass sculpture in front of the mirror--if need to elevate look for black marble riser. On opposite niche, artwork and NO more objects on the rounded shelf---this space needs to be open with so many drywall angles and curves etc. A rug with black or or other dark background would help your space have life.

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The sculpture in front of the mirror doesn’t work , I need something low and long on the mirror shelf, I’m going to put a long narrow bowl with green moss in it and maybe 3 succulents with a bit of Color, for the other niche I’ll keep the sculpture there and find a matted picture with a thin frame not chunky to give it a clean elegant look, no carpet in the front entrance , I don’t want to hide the stone design but I will place a 2x 6 thin pile area rug right by the door to step on and for added color.

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes I’m going to be staining the front door for sure a darker color

• tetheridge0315
    6 years ago

Wayfair has some black risers.

https://www.wayfair.com/home/pdp/cal-mil-3-square-riser-clml2077.html?PiID%5B%5D=13702538&source=hotdeals&piid=13702538

Or if you wanted a nicer stone, I bet your local counter supplier would make you one to your exact dimensions pretty cheaply from remnants.

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Tetheride thank you for the wayfair suggestion I think I’ll just leave the sculpture without being elevated and buy a nice picture for above, nothing too loud softer and simple so as not to take away from the sculpture

• Flower Girl
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I’m also looking for a 5’ round area rug for the area just past my entryway it’s really hard in Canada to find one I’m looking for a brown with ivory colored area rug any suggestions?