SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
craigonian

Below Grade House Appraisal

Craig
6 years ago

my wife and I have a nice lot in Northern Michigan that we are looking to build on. It is sloped and I have the idea to build a one-story house with a walkout basement. The footprint would be about 1,000 sq/ft, with 1000 below grade and 1000 above (for a total 2000 sq/ft area.)

I would like to put my kitchen, dining room, 3/4 bath, and a living room in the below-grade part of the house. I would then have three large bedrooms (two baths) in the above-grade part. I am reading that no below grade area can be counted toward square footage by an appraiser, but are there circumstances that would mitigate this?

I would hate to build a house that is devalued because the basic living spaces are not included in the house ("this house has no kitchen".)

I know that the surest route for getting the question answered is to talk with an appraiser in the area, but I am playing with plans and would like to see if there are any answers here that might encourage me to forget the idea or continue thinking along these lines.

• Does this arrangement change things for appraisal below grade?
  • Do Northern Michigan guidelines allow for such counting of below grade in square footage?

Any info or insights would be appreciated! Thank you!

Comments (19)