SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

October

It's been a somewhat schizoid month so far, a few cool, moist days, then some hot and dry ones (3% humidity), then more cool days right now, with three days of high risk for wildfires beginning on Sunday.

I'm gratefully entering into the last phase of many years of old-rose obsession, although I never thought that I would end up with only 40 roses. Drought and high temperatures, with only more of the same to expect in future years, have led me to this place. My wimpy energy level has also been a factor in this decision. Whatever roses I have now will probably be my last and I feel good about that. Every journey has to end, and my mind will be focused on taking care of the roses I have and successfully raising the young ones to a hopefully beautiful maturity.

Today seemed like the perfect day for pictures, cool and overcast but not so dark that there was not adequate light. I used the favorite of my two cameras which I think takes better pictures although the field of view is not as wide.

Charles Darwin on its third day
Mlle. de Sombreil, which blooms often

Rosette Delizy is growing ever wider. Behind is our "little house".

My smaller of two SdlM plants, which is growing very slowly but has large, sumptuous blooms

Mme. de Sombreuil again with Mme. Lambard in front

Bishop's Castle, a runty plant bought locally that took years to recover and bloom

Some newly opened blooms of Baronne Henriette de Snoy. This rose is quickly becoming a favorite.

The autumn flush has suffered because of wildly fluctuating temperatures.

Comments (26)