SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheri127

Would you consider this granite "directional"?

6 years ago

I'm having trouble finding the right granite for my beach house kitchen because the counter runs are so long (first world problems, I know). I think I finally found one that will avoid a seam in the corner of the peninsula but I'm still having a problem understanding the fabricator's need for additional slabs. Their reasoning is that they have to maintain directionality of the stone. I understand the need for this with stone that has a lot of movement or veining, but this stone seems pretty subdued to me. To keep the grain uniform would actually require more seams so I don't really follow the logic. I had another fabricator tell me I could do the kitchen in 2 slabs but my builder's guy says 4 (even with the bigger slabs) so I'm totally confused. Does this stone look like it has a grain that dictates layout? I really don't see it but I'll defer to those with more experience and a better eye. Thanks so much for your help!

Here's their layout with the smaller slabs (the sink in no longer bumped out). We can do the peninsula without a seam with this one but they still think we need 4 slabs. The original were 118" x 72" and the one above is 132" x 77".

Comments (25)