SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cairnsma30

Recessed lighting placement in bathroom

cairnsma30
6 years ago

We are starting demo tomorrow. I aleady have two 3 light vanity lights to place downward either over two recessed medicine cabinets (which likely won't happen due to plumbing in the wall from the other bathroom) or a 60" mirror to match our vanity. The vanity is up against a wall on the right so no room for side lighting. The contractor is going to place two 4" recessed lights in the main bathroom area which is 7'10"x 5' ( so not including the 3x5' shower area which will have it's own lighting). He wants to put them over the sinks but I wonder if this will create shadowing or just be excessive lighting in one area with the vanity lights already there. I was thinking of spacing them out to create more general lighting which would space them 33" apart and 30" from the wall. This would have one light between the two sinks and the other between the sink and toilet, which is just left of the vanity. The light would be just behind my head if I were standing at the sink and to either side. Would this create it's own shadowing problem or would there be enough light in this narrow bathroom it won't matter? A second question is I was thinking of placing the two 3" recessed lights for the shower slightly closer to the back wall instead of center to accent the 3D wavy tile we are putting there. Good idea or would this make thevshower too dark?

Comments (7)