SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

Turkey cooking techinques

There are many ways to cook a turkey. This thread is not about debating which one is best, instead I thought it would be a good place to describe the various techniques we all use. Perhaps some of the lurkers who've never cooked one or even the experienced cooks can glean some useful information here.

Before I post mine below, here is a link to the US Government's Turkey Roasting Table: click here!

Okay, my technique:

I clean and wash the bird, removing all the giblets the day before I cook it. This is just in case it's spoiled. There's no way you're gonna find a turkey store open on Thanksgiving and the fowl won't go foul overnight in the fridge.

I brush a mixture of olive oil, paprika, and onion powder over every square inch of the exposed surface and then dump what's left into the body cavity. I'll baste with this same mixture every half hour or so while it cooks. Next, the entire body cavity is stuffed with my mashed potato stuffing and I really mean stuffed! There are no air pockets when I'm done.

The turkey is cooked breast side down for the first half of the total cooking time and then flipped to finish. This ensures the breast meat comes out moist. I rarely use a thermometer to check temperature as it cooks. Turkey is done when the legs jiggle freely.

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

Comments (13)