SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropidale

Full sun in summer-- full shade in winter Northern Tampa Zone 9

tropidale
6 years ago

Hi all,

My first time in many years posting to the forum. Usually i find what I need by searching topics. But this one doesn't seem to have been discussed. I have a spaghetti farm (long and narrow) between my house and a 6 ft fence line that is blazing hot in summer and full shade in the winter. I love flowers and have made the mistake of planting too many sun lovers with my most recent effort to remake. Today I checked at 10:00 AM and no sun except for the tall containers. It will only get worse so I am fully expecting some crop failure. My current plants are Heliconia, Elephant ears, Dwarf Allamanda, Sun Hosta, Texas Sage, Coreopsis, Agapanthus, Persian Shield, Pentas, Crossandra, Hakone Grass, Angelonia, New Guineas, and Golden Dew Drop. Any thoughts on what will be ok and what to replace with as I see the mistakes fade? I am looking for colorful, tropical, fairly easy maintenance, and less that 2 ft wide or containable. The space is 4 1/2 by 28 and is mulched and drip irrigated. I am planning to add some kind of raised feature and I do have three large pots, but most of the garden would be in the ground. I really think I should be leaning toward mostly shade tolerant plants. And I am not averse to having to protect some in frost. Ok, I'm ready for ideas.

Thanks,

Dale

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting