SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tmnca

Exterior paint colors choice needed this weekend!

Tmnca
6 years ago

The painters are coming Monday to prep and will paint 2 sample colors for us. I have a lot more than 2 on my list still! It's so frustrating to find photos of actual houses painted candidate colors, Pinterest has taken over image search and more often than it the paint color is just any "gray".

My biggest fear is it turning out mint green or baby blue, there are plenty of funky colors in our neighborhood (next door house is lavender and 2 doors down dark teal) but I would prefer an understated and more earthy tone.

We recently installed a new white garage garage door and although the advice is usually to paint it to blend it in, I think with our house layout that would be impossible so we may leave it white because I actually like it that way right now. The new windows are white trimmed too, and gutters to be installed can be matched as closely as possible. The trim would also be white and matched to the door (see other thread about Fleur de Sel) so really the only painted trim visible at the front is around the garage door. We will use landscaping and potted plants etc to increase attention to the hidden front door. The covered and recessed entryway is always shadowed - any thoughts on making it look more prominent with our paint choices?

The new roof is certainteed Weathered Wood (southwest zone) which looks pretty gray but with some brown in it. We are in coastal Northern California with lots of sun, some fog, and no snow to think about.

We want a gray color with either blue or green undertones, maybe a bit "muddy".

When choosing exterior paint (which I've never done) should I assume it will look much lighter and brighter than the fan deck due to sunlight? I was pretty shocked by how minty Sea Salt looked in our kitchen and dining room - fortunately I still like it but it's not what I'd planned!

here is my not-so-short short list:

Hammered silver 2840

Chelsea gray 2850

Uncertain gray 6234

Morning fog 6255

Dorian Gray 7017

Stonington Gray HC-170

Storm AF-700

Sag Harbor Gray

And thanks to another gardenweber I have a few more possible combos (the white trim would likely have to match the door instead)

SW Oyster Bay/ Greek Villa

SW Unusual Gray/ Reserved White/ Waterloo on door

SW Acacia Haze/ Spare White

SW Mineral Deposit/Eider White

help please!

Morning sun (house faces north so front is often shadow btw)

Evening

Mid-day before window and garage door replacement

Comments (21)