SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jejvtr_gw

Ready to paint exterior - need help w/choices - photoshop anyone?

jejvtr
16 years ago

Thanks to all that have helped getting the interior of our home back together (flood Oct 05) - still work to be done there.....

Exterior needs paint!!!!

I was thinking color - not sure which - dh (the romantic) choose the white & red scheme (before our marriage) -if he had his druthers he'd do the same.... -

I don't think I want yellow - not totally opposed to white (know it's historical etc) - the shutters are orig (in bad shape) & do take up quite a bit of the front siding - just to keep in mind when adding color...

Things to note

- the first roof level is actually cedar shakes! painted! - I think they will have to be repainted black

- The bottom level of home currently has wood storms w/center stile, that throws things off - windows are 6/1 config

- The flat roofs on either side of the home will be redone & will have simple wood colums w/banisters

- The PO took down all the copper gutters :(

- I ripped out all the mature landscaping in front of home - hmmm was that a tirade??? I thought the landscaping was "eating" the house - So that is yet another project

- Homes are close together (1/3 acre) one to right is a taupey color (sometimes reads pink!), left is a sagey green

All the homes are built in late 20's & 30's very nice historic street that has not met the McMansion effect:)

Not pic

2 bay garage in back simple detached

Don't mind the melting igloo & snowmen dh made

Rear of house prior to finished reno (kit windows changed)

close to neighbors

I'm in process of obtaining bids for both roof & paint - The front porch/steps is relatively new mahogany - & will be sanded and stained (faded now) - I think I may have them take the paint off back porch/steps and stain that as well - may hold up better.

I have the feeling the front door is a good hardwood - maybe fir (can't tell due to so much paint) I would consider having that stripped and stained -depending on color scheme.

Help me get this house back to the splendor it once was!

Thanks for any photoshop help and/or suggestions

Comments (104)

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

tracey

Thanks - I think a little more "beef" esp the posts -which will be 6" thick

• paddytc
    16 years ago

tracey, thanks for adding the window boxes..it looks great. i wish i knew how to photoshop:)

jejvtr, i love the window boxes on the ends. i think it draws your eye over the whole house not just the middle section. i would go with black(rod iron type to match shutter dogs) ..i thought your shutter dogs were black so your right a fresh coat would do them justice. also remember to beef up:) you outside lights..can't wait to see it done. it looks beautiful

great job tracey!

• Related Discussions

PHOTOSHOPPERS~would anyone photoshop my exterior?

Q

Comments (17)
    Your house is sooo beautiful. I love it!!! One of my favorite looks for a stucco home is ivory with white trim and then uh oh! The black door! Kilim would look nice on your house too but it's very similar to what you have now, maybe a little lighter but I would like it with a light trim white or cream. Good luck! You couldn't do anything that would make your house look bad. Let us know what you decide and if you can post a picture of the new paint. Wish I could help you with the photo shop! One of these days I am going to learn how to do that!
    ...See More

Exterior Paint Color Help-funcolors? anyone?

Q

Comments (10)
    This what an Ebony Slate or a Cloak Gray could look like. I like it. I find this very attractive; even with the current color for the trim. Thoughts? As far as fading, you need to ask about the color you choose. Organic fades faster than inorganic pigment. Exposure matters as well, full exposure will obviously fade faster than shaded. Dark colors require more maintenance and are harder to touch up than lighter colors. A dark color enmass for an exterior is a commitment whether it's organic or inorganic pigment - no two ways about it. But it can be well worth it. Be sure to ask about lightfastness and UV rating. To make things easier, you can look into selecting a color from a manufacturers palette that is specifically flagged "exterior". Buy the very best grade of paint you can afford.
    ...See More

Exterior photoshop help please?

Q

Comments (125)
    Sarah -- hehehe Paint Chips -- turns out the potential partner gives lip service to being interested but has failed to return calls or answer emails. Methinks she's too young and/or not in a position to take it seriously. I don't think I'm qualified to teach faux finishing, truly. If I teach anything it should be dog training and parrot training. Decorpas -- Yes... Squirrel should be making lotsa' money for her obvious talents. I know the painter wants to do the whole house, but I'm thinking I'll just have him do the trim because money is tight. That will leave me the option to do the doors or not, at my leisure. I still keep looking at CL for a better front door. My measurements are strange on the existing one.
    ...See More

Squirrelheaven or anyone else could you please help w/photoshop?

Q

Comments (28)
    Looking out my kitchen window is a stucco house similar to yours. If you were looking for the trim to be darker than the body then consider something opposite of what you currently have. The body of the home in the color of your trim and the trim in the body? Does that make sense? The house I am speaking of that I can see out my window has a bone color on the body and a darker tan on the trim. The trim color could be almost like Lindy's 15:43 house above,with a lighter body. ....OR I can crawl back under my rock :)
    ...See More
  • msrose
    16 years ago

Leahcate - I put your name above where the title normally is. It actually says "Subject of Posting".

Laurie

• Tracey
    16 years ago

Pewter siding
    Ashland Slate shutters
    Raspberry Truffle door
    White trim
    Black window boxes
    heavier railings on flat roof--I think one reason they don't show up as very prominent is due to the background and the trees are not leafed out...

• leahcate
    16 years ago

tracey...great work. this last looks perfect to me...love it. msrose...thanks for your help! Now you're an accessory to my hijacking crime:>):>)! jejvtr...now the shutters just look wonderfully authentic. Believe it's seeing them in bright red against the white that startled me. Do you and DH love that gray on gray? Nice!

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

WOw - Tracey looking really good - wondering if we can do some more tweaking?

Front door is actually the orig storm door w/8 indiv panes - I like when you colored the muntins - but your last pic raspberry is showing pinker than yesterday?
    can we try
    apache red
    currant red
    deep rose
    merlot red

Also - that will be roughly 1/2 screen in summer & I need to decide what to paint the big door - or if I should strip it and stain it

Can you "stain" the steps/porch & top of those railings

Put black exterior lights, black house # and doorbell - as well as blackening the shutter dogs/hardware

Oh, another detail - can you take the very top roof & bring that color down to the first roof?

Oh,i know I'm a pain - & you are such a big help this is all very difficult.....

Thanks for you continued help

leah I'm really liking the gray - dh not sure he wants to paint it same as it is :(

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

jejvtr: Not sure if you were following the SingleDad thread or not, but there is a picture there I thought you may want to look at. It has a BS walk-way, arched portico like yours but with thicker columns and is painted grey with black shutters. My neighbor also have that combo, I really like it, though with your shutter size, it might be too much black. Thought I'd toss it out for you to sell, though. Scroll down the thread for pic posted by love_my_lilhome:

Here is a link that might be useful: thread that has pic of house

• saskatchewan_girl
    16 years ago

Love #2, 4 and my fave is Sussex Green (with the door matching the shingles)!

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bumping to see if anyone else may weigh in -
    Thanks Val - & sask

Vote for any of the above?

Or consider a different scheme

Thanks!!

• decorpas
    16 years ago

i don't think you can go wrong, they all look great because you have such a pretty home! kudos to your dh for restoring the shutters; they are wonderful.

my favorite (just my personal taste) is the revere pewter with black front door...and i imagine it with the black window boxes on the end windows as well. it looks so stately but warm in that color scheme. elegant and still cozy.

what did you decide about the railings? they would look good beefed up perhaps, and painted the color of the shutters, so they would stand out against the sky.

my only reservation is how close your color choice is to your neighbors house on the right. you want it to blend nicely, but be different enough. i can't tell on my monitor how close their color is to revere pewter.

can't wait to see it finished-- you all have already done a lovely job!

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

decorpas
    Thank you - I do like the revere pewter - & good thought Re: window boxes at either end -
    - The railings on the flat roof will be "beefed up" currently it is a simple metal rail & I will have that changed out to wood posts/balisters - I did not think of painting them same color as shutters - I was thinking of doing the rail same as trim - some white

Neighbors house is a taupe color so that shouldn't be a problem - neighbor on other side is a sage green

Thanks for your input

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Quite a few pretty combinations above. I'll share another one from one of my fav houses around here.

Those 'wave' window boxes would be pretty on your house, too.

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel!!! I was hoping you would be jumping in here :)

Nice - you didn't change the house color...right, just shutters & storm door
    oh, looks like you darkened top of railing too - which is what I want - can you darken steps & porch floor too?

so glad you joined the party!
    Many thanks

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's the porch/steps black also. The second shot it's more of a charcoal color, not as deep as the rail. That would be my preference : )

Also tweaked in some of the lost details on your shutters. In the second shot, also painted the portico ceiling a subtle blue-gray -- and it's just begging me for a beautiful lantern :)

Like the end flower boxes, and so they're not all lined up along the front.

Lovely older home, as you know : )

{{!gwi}}

• decorpas
    16 years ago

love the blue grey (haint porch ceiling!) on the porch ceiling...and this combo looks good-- the only thing you lose is the detail around the windows from the trim being different. but you save a lot of time and money on painting the whole house. love that:-)

what about the top porch railings being charcoal too? maybe that would keep them from disappearing?

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice job squirrel! Love the staggered boxes, ceiling color - I agree about the "begging lantern" however lovely old homes have their limitations - most of which involves plaster - while I do love plaster - not sure what would be involved getting elec up there - but I can ck on that
    What color are the shutters? Do you rec having house repainted white?
    Thanks squirrel

Dec - The whole house trim, siding, etc... will be painted - just trying to settle on colors

• decorpas
    16 years ago

if you are trying to settle on colors, and whole house will be repainted, I think it looks really great in a color. the taupes and pewters looked so great on your home (esp with the chimney and the stone wall out front) and make the white-ish trim around the windows pop more. ditto to the staggered boxes- looks great:-)

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

The shutters are a light-med beige color, no BM name or anything : )

Your white actually looks kind of gray, with maybe some blue in it. And the trim whiter. So maybe you could pick a brighter white for the trim? so you get a little more of the detail showing.

If you're repainting the shingled roof, maybe try to match the main roof color? It's so much darker. I guess that gutter portion that stretches over the roof could be painted the roof color too.

I like the combinations with less contrast b/w the shutters and siding, as others have noted, since the shutters are wide and close together.

I like the Ashley Grey and Revere Pewter. Also like the gray Pewter. I do love the white combo, but always have : ) I was also thinking dh might like something a bit similar since he's wanting it to be repainted the same.

How does it feel in your mind coming home to some of the new combinations?

Wondering how many sf a home like that has. ???

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's another variation of the last colors and dh's fav with lots of red, bringing out the trimwork more. I've used a softer, creamier white, though. Lower roof painted to match the main roof, and gutters camaflouged against roof and siding with paint. Dark rails on the balconies were pretty distracting.

(What trees are they? They look kind of like Dogwoods but have the branching up of a smaller, narrow pink Magnolia I'm trying to identify.)

{{!gwi}}

• decorpas
    16 years ago

LOVE the creamy white.....and the rails show up so much better now, too. this is like a taupe with cream? looks great with the stonework.

you rock, squirrel! gorgeous. yeah, those trees look like a pink magnolia i have that doesn't have any leaves-- of course, it's winter in this picture...

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel - THANK YOU - When dh gets home I'll show him your latest artwork - I'm not sure of the taupe/y color as it is close to the neighbors house - the other issue w/taupe for me is unless it's the right mix it has pinkish hues (which neighbors does in certain lighting) Dh will love what you have done

I think I prefer your first renderings which the house remained a white - which is actually old dirty white paint & some post renov new clapboard that is bleeding through!
    So maybe the shutters as presented and a off white, w/white trim?

Love the railings (dont' you think that will look better "beefed up" than what is presently there? , gutters, porch ceiling, and the dkr stains on steps/rails

You guessed right - the trees are old dogwoods (many on our small lot) hoping the hold on because they are very nice. I just had a tree guy do a deep fertilization in the fall to help them out a little

Home is about 2100 sf which includes 3 BR's, 2.5 baths- sunroom, kit, LR, DR - and 1/2 basement finished - I feel like it is just enough - my only wishes (in a community that likes to blow out these lovely old homes) is for a larger mudroom and perhaps larger BR closets - but we have a big unfinished attic that works quite well for storage

I do like some of the grays as well - the ashley & pewter

Thanks again squirrel

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Here's a pronounced but subtle cream/off-white with a soft white trim and then again with a bright white trim in the second rendering.

Then here she is in a fresh coat of white, which I thought was what you'd wanted : ) Actually, it now does look on the neutral off-white side.

{{!gwi}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Decorpas, it's a warm beige on the grayed side, lol. Taupe-y I guess but more at a beige. If! that even makes sense : )

OT -- Do you know which Magnolia you have? I'm thinking the smaller one I see might be a Star Magnolia. It has such a lovely upward branching style and isn't real big like the others. I just love Magnolias, short bloom that they have, and a bit if-y around here with cold snaps toward Spring. There's actually one of the really large full ones in my front view here, so I'm very lucky to have one : ) My Dad planted one like this for each of us kids when we were young, back home. They're all still doing beautifully. All of these that I've lived with are fairly sheltered.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

jejvtr, on the second combination, it's actually more of a warm beige, on the grayed side -- historical type. I thought you had asked about the red, too, although I can't find where. It's a brown red, not a blue-red, although there is a tad of that in there. I also had aged that one to an historical type color.

The new rail and posts really give a nice finished look. Is that just decorative, no walk-out? I'm wondering why what looks like a metal rail was put up there.

What do you think of not painting the overhang roof so dark?

Thanks for the info! Please let us know what dh thinks : )

You're welcome :) When does the painting take place?

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

jejvtr, I keep meaning to ask -- how does the color styling feel/speak to the interior of your house? I always love your house when I see it, but some of the color details escape me. I'm remembering rich tones and gold, red, brown mostly. And your yellow/blue-red French wallpaper in the dr.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

This one is my favorite of all the ones shown. It looks so warm and inviting, but classy and current. It looks like a house I'd really like to visit, and one that would turn my head as I drove past.

{{!gwi}}

If you tire of it at some point in the future you can always change the look a lot by simply repainting your door and shutters.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That's probably my favorite too, Oceanna : )

• decorpas
    16 years ago

I am torn too between the revere pewter and this sandy cream mix....I must say I am leaning toward the one with the yummy name, though:-)

Squirrel, My magnolia is a Soulangiana, which is actually superb for the north, according to Wayside catalog! It is so pretty-- bare branches with unusual and pretty pink flowers. I have several magnolias in my yard, but this one is my fav.

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel - Thank you again! "how does the color styling feel/speak to the interior of your house" Good ? - not sure yet, I do want "traditional" - because the house is, and interior is.... But, I would like it to make a bit of a statement - be "stately" if that makes any sense. The house is the only one on the street that sits up -We are only about 2mi fr. the coastline so it's mostly flat here - I think they must have brought in fill for this home - a bit odd - but certainly worth taking advantage of -

Oceanna, deco & squirrel - I do like the last pic - & I'm sure dh would love it as well.... 2 concerns w/the body color - 1. Very similiar to neighbors house (see right side of screen) 2. Some taupes give a pinkish hue -

Any ideas there?

This is hard work!! Not sure what I would do without all the help - perhaps a purple house (there is a relatively newly painted one on the street!)

Would more/different angles pics help at all

I have not even signed a contract for paint yet, I'm still waiting on roof/railing estimates before I can sign for paint - mid/late spring

thanks again - let me know if more pics help.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

How about re-posting your lr and dr pics. Was it your house with the little pass thru in pale yellow with a bunny or something? Bench and view to the garden? (wondering about the clock : ) If so, post that up too -- we'd all love to see them again, anyway!

• decorpas
    16 years ago

I know what you mean about taupes...this color squirrel used seems sandy enough to avoid that, but of course, if it gets mixed wrong, you could find yourself really unhappy. I'm back to the Revere Pewter, which was stately and yet still inviting and friendly. but I bet Squirrel will have a great idea after you post your interiors!

or, you could ask your neighbors to repaint? :-) wouldn't that be great?

• Tracey
    16 years ago

jejvtr--Heavens! I leave town for the weekend and your house changes colors altogether!! I promise I did not mean to drop the ball on you--and it looks as though Squirrelhaven has better image editing skills than me, anyway!! Just wanted to say I really like this direction--I liked the tans,creams,browns from the get-go; from the Benjamin Moore Stardust to this most recent that is Oceanna's pick. Looks great!

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Love that this is still alive - more is better in this case imo

Squirrel - no bunny to garden but I'll post some old pics

sunroom/office long narrow - 2 sets of French doors on either side of fireplace lead to this room - all around windows

during reno
    Master bath -

Kit

Ok does that help??? - Do you need other outside views ?

THANKS

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

I agree with oceanna. I don't much care for the creamy white ones or the very grey ones. More of a brownish-grey/dark taupe would be OK as well, though.

I like BM Rockport Grey, Providence Olive, Ashley Gray, Quincy Tan

• sarschlos_remodeler
    16 years ago

I guess I'm the odd one out. I love the pewter greys. If you do the creamy ones, I would do a different color other than red on the shutters and just do the front door red -- gives it a really welcoming warm focal point. The red shutters compete too much with the red door.

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

See this is difficult....

Val - I don't think any of your choices are mocked up are they? I do like brownish-grey & a dark taupe as long as it doesn't give the wrong hue or too closely match neighbors

Sarschlos - The pewter greys are still in the running and the red shutters will likely be going- sorry dh

• Tracey
    16 years ago

Here is the one in Ashley Gray from last week, but before the other editing...

• decorpas
    16 years ago

I am still in favor of my original favorite as well, so you are not alone Sarah or Jejvr. I like the Revere Pewter the best, and second the creams and that taupey one that is too close to the neighbor's color.

BTW, your home is really beautiful!

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

jejvtr: Looking back I'd say that tracey's posts on March 5th 10:31 and 14:44 are closest to what I was thinking--though with a different shutter color. The ones I see out here in CA like that all have black shutters, though I am hesitant about that as yours are more prominent. One thing you have not mentioned in all this is what direction your house faces. Mine is a Northern Exposure with a large shade tree out front, hence we had to be very careful not to go too dark since it never has full sun in front. A house which gets full sun can definitely take a darker color and some shades may either look washed out or too dark, depending on sun conditions. Do you have any pics of your house at a different time of year when the leaves are on the trees?

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks dec - yes revere still in the running

Val -
    I searched my whole photobucket - the only pic I have is from nearly 5yrs ago when we brought home dd (last of 7! dh had 3, I had 3 he (the romantic) begged for a child) -

So a little outdated, and prior to my ripping out landscaping - look at that god awful juniper ickkkkkk
    I did cry when I saw the balloons
    Home has a southwestern exposure so, plenty of sun

Thanks again for all your time,thought, and efforts - still working on the roof estimates, carpenter & painter

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ummm yes, it would help to attach the photo

• paddytc
    16 years ago

jejvtr, I still vote for the pewter. I love the idea of the window boxes. I say go with a black rod iron window boxes to match the shutter holders. I agree with Squirrelheaven about a lantern for a light:)

Great job once again to Tracey and Squirrelheaven!!

The inside of you house is beautiful. I am sure which ever color you choose for the outside it will look great too.

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Paddytc - I like the pewter - ? If we do pewter what is your thought w/a pale blue ceiling on portico (beadboard) & trim a brillant or softer white?

• oceanna
    16 years ago

Another possibility...

{{!gwi}}

Or do the reverse color scheme, something like this house:

{{!gwi}}

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

jejvtr: Ah, four seasons country. That helps a lot to see what it looks like in the summer. Seven kids! Whew! You wouldn't be homeschooling too would you? Sounds like your DH is quite the romantic, how sweet. I think many of the colors could work, though I do think you need to be careful choosing just the right shutter color. Have you and DH decided on a base color yet? I like most of the base colors other than the white. I took a pic of my neighbor's house which I've always admired as a lovely combination for a 2-story siding/shutter combo. You can see how different the color looks in shade and in sun.
    {{!gwi}}
    When we were choosing paint color for our house we painted large sections of our top choices and would look at them at different times of day, sun and shade. Still, we ended changing our color though. I wanted the color in like my neighbor's until I realized it looked better on siding than it did on stucco--gotta work with what you got!

I found this link that is another example with a bit more shutters, like yours:

Here is a link that might be useful: House pic

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

jejvtr, Here's a collage with some of your exterior. I've re-toned the shutters and door on the white house. I like something like this, which feels cohesive with your interior. To me, a traditional white would be more 'stately,' as the look you're after. Painting the house a color feels more old-house warm and fuzzy. I also think painting the sidelights the door color gives it more presence and makes the home look more stately.

Have been trying to get more golden with the shutters or warm up the white, as well.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

These are a similar but warmer shutter color than the original one I posted the other day. And the red is different too.

A bit darker on the shutters than the previous post:

A real soft old gold, more at golden beige it looks now : ) on a warm, neutral white (beige-y not taupe-y). (Too gold on the shutters wasn't working):

Closeup of the Old Gold:

{{!gwi}}

• jejvtr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirrel!!!

You really work some magic!!! - I love the shutter & door color - not sure about sidelights -maybe it has to do w/the white trim in between, not sure -

Oceanna - interesting....I love blue and have plenty on the exterior - for some reason I don't like it exterior

Val - Thank you - that is a new house too - like the color on both. I've done some research which has helped re: shutters - lot's of older homes w/working shutters have larger ones like mine - so that helped convince me -
    I suppose at this pt. I need to put some samples up there and hone in on decisions -

This is quite similiar to ours - not lg shutters, but look at colum siae
    http://www.roebucksprings.org/images/horton.jpg

http://blog.oregonlive.com/homesandgardens/2007/11/h.dutch.jpg

• Valerie Noronha
    16 years ago

jejvtr: I like the first link you showed, but the second one did not work. You are right the columns look similar. Perhaps you should leave them afterall, they are growing on me. It has a certain delicacy with the arched roof and you may change you mind also once the trim is painted different than the house color. Which is probably another reason my vote is for a non-white base color--to accentuate your lovely trimwork. I'm glad you are looking at other homes similar to yours for inspiration. When we were remodeling last year, I always kept a digital camera in my car and I would snap pics of features/colors/etc of houses I liked--usually while picking up or dropping off my kids from school or sports practices. I would try to drive a bit in the residential areas. Then when we were finalizing paint, I had my paint swatches with me and I would go up to houses which I liked and compare paint swatches. Once you and your DH find an inspiration pic I think this is helpful to narrow down to an actual color. You will always see things we don't, like lighting and how it works from various angles. What does DH think? Still white/red?

• wisrose
    16 years ago

Why not try white shutters on a taupe siding.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022