SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mpikul9

Major dilemma on wood trim

6 years ago

Hello, I bought a 1908 Craftsman wood bungalow. Super cute, but the home is not in the best shape. PO did some remodeling. In the living room, some wood trim was restored or replaced with oak. They didn't do the best job on replicating a Craftsman trim and it's inconsistent in style, however, it creates a warm room. And I will likely fix the inconsistency in wood trim. A room right off the living room is the only room in the house with original wood. The wood has years of white paint on it and looks bad. So I want to strip it, but not sure to stain or paint white. Here's why: although staining would go well with the living room stain -- walk 5 feet into the dining room / kitchen area and most of the wood has been either replaced with not great painted white pine. Or any remaining original wood (like 3 pine doors) has been painted white. Baseboards are newer not original and painted. Dining trim around the windows is missing apron, crown and the sill is damaged. Only the original side and head casing remain. Needs total restoration. I would love to stain and work on restoring room by room but I think that could be almost impossible without a complete gut job. Trim around other windows in kitchen is new MDF and MDF (or else it's cheap pine) around other doors. So...do I slowly restore this old house (what will it cost!!) or go with white due to the fact that I wouldn't be saving any value (most original wood is gone). I could get Windsor Arts & Crafts replica of painted wood in dining. My thoughts are to blend in white with oak -- so I stained oak doors, but painted pine doors. And I plan on putting in new stained windows. So the look would be stain wood windows with white trim in dining and bedrooms. Living room, I'll keep all stained as is. The dining ceiling is coffered and I thought to replace them or restain them. I guess I just want to know if I should paint bedroom trim or stain it, and if stain, start thinking about replacing a lot of wood elsewhere.

Comments (11)