SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

What's your favorite part sun/part shade bush/shrub?

I've got some places that could be enhanced with bushes/shrubs. I had hoped to do a Harry Louder's Walking Stick, of which I have been I have been enamored since my pre-gardening days. I am, however, having a difficult time getting HLWS to fit with the current design because they can get tall. I had also hoped to do some dogwood bushes with their bright red or yellow winter stems, but I am also struggling with how to place them. They just seem so...sparse...and empty. I'm worried that it will just look weird.

So far I'm most likely going to do Spirea 'Ogon' and fothergilla 'Mt. Airy' in some places. Beyond that it's up in the air. Just learned more about Kerria japonica 'Plentiflora' and 'Albaflora' cultivars. They look very promising because of their winter interest via the green stems, and some areas are part of our winter landscape.

I know there's tons out there. What do you love in an area that doesn't get full sun, besides rhododendrons, of which I have many. But, feel free to list any unusual cultivar of rhododendron that you love! All areas do not need a bush with winter interest, also, just as a side note.

Comments (6)