SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jetset2000

First time home buyer, advice needed finding realtor

jetset2000
6 years ago

I'm a first time home buyer, I just got my pre-approval. I have 2 questions

I just received my pre-approval letter through my local credit union. The number they gave me seems really low, I was told I could afford more, but i gave them a low number when asked what price range houses I was looking at. Most of the good houses in good neighborhoods are $50,000 to $75,000 higher than the pre-approval letter and number i was given.

1. Is it possible to request a higher pre-approval sales price number. I believe I have the finances to do so. The officer just put down “said number” coz thats what I told him. I was hoping the pre-approval letter would show the max I can afford, not what I told him. But he told him I could definitely afford more.

My bank has a “home buyer advantage program for members” Here is what it says:

When you purchase your home through our Credit Union Preferred Realtor, you’ll receive up to 25% of your realtor’s commissions credited towards your closing costs with our Credit Union Home Loans Buyer Advantage Program*. For example: On the sales price of a $350,000 home, with a commission of 2.5% of the sales price, you could receive a closing cost discount of up to $2,188!”

1. Should I use a realtor from my local credit union or should I look through realtor.com to find recommended real estate agents? The credit union said they use local realtors.

I feel like If i use the credit union preferred realtor, I don’t know what I’m getting. My credit union is pretty good, I have been with them for over a decade. But I just don’t know if I’m getting ripped off or not, that’s the thing coz I don’t know much about it and I’m a first time home buyer.

Any advice is appreciated. I read a post from a veteran home owner, he wrote to me and said "Buy the smallest home in a good location that will work for you rather than the most expensive home you think you can afford."

I do agree with above statement. I have no intention of buying an expensive home, I just want to buy a home that's affordable, and of great value base on location and neighborhood.

any other advice is much appreciated. I plan to buy a home in the next 3 months, but I'm willing to be patient until I find one at the right price and in the neighborhood I want.

Comments (18)