SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

What's for Dinner #352

annie1992
6 years ago

The old thread is up to 99, and is loading slowly because of all the pictures, so I'll start a new one.

Tonight I made Sol's Tomato Tart, along with a rosti potato/parsnip dish and the last of the fresh sweet corn from the garden. I made Sol's Tart last week too, but I like it and want to take advantage of the good tomatoes while I have them. I used HoneyCup Mustard for the bottom of the pie crust and heirloom Pineapple tomatoes in the tart. Aren't they pretty?

So, what's for dinner at your house tonight?

Annie

Comments (100)

• neely
    6 years ago

Lots of yummy looking dinners being cooked.

I think I must have been on the same wavelength as you shambo, because I also cooked a version of spanakopita using puff pastry and Australian feta.

Another meal was slow oven cooked pork spare ribs in a homemade Cha Siu sauce. We also had rice and stir fry vegetables.

That little black sauce thing contains Chinese star anise pods.

• shambo
    6 years ago

Neely, I never though of using cha siu sauce on spareribs. What a great idea!

• Related Discussions

FireFox 3.5.2 problems

Q

Comments (2)
    When I have uninstalled firefox before installing a newer version the bookmarks, history, etc. have stayed in the Mozilla folder. To be double safe you can export your bookmarks (bookmarks > organize bookmarks > import and backup) to a file in your My Documents folder before uninstalling. That way you can delete the folder after uninstalling if you need to do so to install an older version.
    ...See More

Last dinner of 2013? What's for dinner ?

Q

Comments (17)
    We were visiting my wife's family in Vermont which ends up being a large group, with most of her brothers and sisters, and their spouses and kids, and this year even several girlfriends of the kids. All told we were about thirty. Meals were split up with one or two people volunteering for each meal. New Year's Eve was my night. I was stumped at first as far as what to make, but the co-volunteer Eric (a foodie BIL) came up with the suggestion of top-your-own tacos. We actually went with tostadas, and made black beans, three different meat toppings, and about a dozen other topping options, with side dishes of Mexican-spiced rice, and homemade cole slaw. Logistically the meal worked well, although some people didn't realize that they were supposed to be able to pick up the tostada after they made it, and instead they buried it beneath a 2-inch deep mound of toppings. Also we forgot to put out the guacamole until after half the people had served themselves. Food wise, some parts of the meal worked better than others. The shredded chicken verde was good but would have been better with more of the tomatillo salsa, however the co-op closed early, and the normal grocery store had no green salsa. The beef/chorizo was good but could have used a bit more of something, Eric and I couldn't decide what it needed. The shrimp was a big hit, the only problem with it was it disappeared so fast, the recipe (as well as I remember it) for the shrimp is below. Chili-Lime Shrimp 2 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp (31-40 count -- cut into thirds) 10 cloves garlic (minced) 1 4oz can diced green chilies 2 limes chili powder canola oil Liberally cover raw shrimp with chili powder and the juice of 1 half of a lime, and let rest for 10 minutes. In small pan, heat oil over medium heat, add garlic and green chilies, until garlic is softened and fragrant. remove from heat. In large pan, heat oil over high heat, until it is smoking hot, add shrimp stirring occasionally to make sure all the shrimp are getting cooked, and none are burning, after about 2-3 minutes the shrimp should all be cooked, add the garlic and green chilies that you set aside, and the rest of the juice of the limes. Stir for about 1 more minute, and place in large bowl to serve. Overall the meal received rave reviews.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner?

Q

Comments (55)
    Dinner last night was a first -- I made a pot of chicken soup when it was 100 degrees or more outside (we've stopped watching). Special request of son upstairs with covid. I figure today to tomorrow will be d-day for me, so waiting to see. Tonight will be either leftovers of the soup or verde chicken enchiladas and spanish rice made the night before or whatever DH makes. Could be BLT's -- not really into cooking today.
    ...See More
  • Jasdip
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I just looked at the ingredients of homemade char siu sauce. I have them all, and it's super easy. I can't wait to try it.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, there are some good dinners here, and I never thought of char siu sauce of ribs either, that sounds delicious.

I had cooking forum company over the weekend, Peppi and Sherry (sheshebop) visited and we had such a nice time. In honor of Peppi's German heritage I made something kind of like German food. My sauerbraten was made with top round, as the recipe specified and served with potato dumplings and red cabbage that Peppi brought, along with a rye bread that I made.

Because Sherry loves pasta and beets, the next night I made homemade pasta with a cream/eggplant, made a pane bianco, golden beets, blue Hokkaido squash and a Caesar salad:

Dessert both days was an apple cake with cream cheese frosting because I had a bushel of apples, LOL.

We had corned beef hash and eggs and pumpkin muffins for breakfast, I only got a picture of the muffins:

And I made an appetizer plate with cheese, sopressata, crackers and an olive mixture, served with some appetizer plates made for me by another forum member, doucanoe/Linda:

Other meals when I didn't have company were a smoked pork butt:

Some beans with cornbread, sauteed apples and a pork roast. Yeah, Elery likes pork, LOL.

I made a pot roast, with more beans, because my Southern husband just loves a "mess of beans".

A pot of chicken noodle soup:

Caramel apple pie:

That's all the photos Houzz will let me post, so I guess I'm caught up. (grin)

Annie

• neely
    6 years ago

All your guest food looks great Annie as do the more you and Elery dinners. Lovely that you can catch up with forum members.

Here's a couple of dinners we had last two nights.

I made Pasties and included turnip and swede. I think you have different names for these vegetables. Anyway DH liked his and ate it with what seemed like a lot of tomato ketchup. (Smile) I used bought puff pastry.

The following was a pasta dish with chicken and feta.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Neely, here we call "swedes" rutabaga. I love them, and I also like their white cousin, the turnip. We make the traditional Michigan Upper Peninsula Cornish Pasties and they must contain rutabaga or they aren't "right".

We've been eating well, that's certain. On Halloween night we had beef stew:

I canned some collard greens and we ate some with dinner, I still have a LOT more in the garden, they are the last thing there.

Still having a couple of heads of cabbage, I made another batch of the unstuffed cabbage rolls, and ate the last of the Pane Bianco with that. This batch was made with venison:

Amanda's birthday was yesterday, and an elderly friend was here for supper, his wife is in a nursing home, so we visited and then came back here for supper. I baked whole wheat bread, dinner rolls, and some gluten free lemon bars for Amanda's birthday:

Along with the dinner rolls we had green beans, pot roast with potatoes and carrots and a low sugar apple crisp. No pictures, as my 88 year old guest doesn't really understand this "pictures for the internet thing", LOL.

Annie

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Annie, that beef stew looks great. My son sent some to me yesterday it was just ok...at my old age I should be able to make this but I never have...ok thats a lie I tried but it wasn't so good. When you have the time would you walk me thru the steps to make your stew. Thank you .

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

mamapinky, the stew is easy, it's one of my "do it and walk away" projects. Cut your beef into chunks (I used sirloin). Roll the chunks in flour/salt/pepper and heat some oil in a cast iron or other heavy dutch oven type pot. Mine was a 5 quart enameled cast iron but my good old Lodge cast iron (unenameled works just as well. Toss in the beef, cook it until it's mostly browned. Toss in cubed potatoes, baby carrots, a diced onion if you want. Pour in a quart of beef broth (I can my own but I'm sure commercial stuff would work too), put the lid on and put it in the oven at 350F until the beef is tender and the vegetables are done. If you make a big pot full it'll be longer, mine took about 3 hours, but smaller amounts in smaller pots take less time. If you want to stretch out the cooking time just turn the oven to 300F instead of 350F, it'll take an hour or so longer, at least. When the beef is done, ladle out the beef and vegetables and thicken the gravy with flour or cornstarch mixed with a little cold water, taste and season, dump the meat and veggies back in and it's stew. If you like peas in your stew, add a handful of frozen ones when you thicken the gravy, they'll heat through and won't make everything taste like peas that way. I don't measure, I don't even chop the baby carrots, I don't make sure everything is the same size. I just dump everything into the pot and cook it!

My daughter is celiac, so I didn't roll the beef in flour and I thickened with cornstarch, it all comes out about the same anyway. I don't like tomatoes in my stew, so that makes one less ingredient for me. You can add herbs if you like, I don't. I grow my own grassfed beef so it's very flavorful. Don't use one of those super tender but somewhat bland cuts that are so expensive. Use a cheaper, flavorful one, that's why I used sirloin.

Good luck!

Annie

• shirl36
    6 years ago

Cooking Forum is an inspiration to me as I have said many times......

i do not like mushroom soup!! That thick glob that falls out of the can...eek.... But after the late October post on homemade mushroom soup I decided to give it a try by the recipes offered, mainly because DH likes it.

Using a combination of the recipes, yesterday I tried my hand at it and WOW I was amazed at the results. Not quite thick enough for my liking and I am sure it was pilot error, I plan to do again and improve. I asked My Bill if he would eat again and his response “heavens yes!” Thanks everyone.

My results and served with melted 3 cheese ( sharp cheddar, provolone, and pepper jack) on rye onion rolls (KAF recipe) and freezer coleslaw.

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Annie, Thank You so so much for taking your time to post such detailed instructions for the beef stew. Much appricated. Goodness at 61 you wouldn't think I'd need to ask how to make such a classic dish. I sound like a complete dummy. I'm not the cook you and others here are but I can provide good meals for my family LOL

One more really dumb question. ..what's the best potato to hold up to the long bake time without turning to mush? I know some will regardless. Thank you again.

PS. I'm truely in awe of all you do and do very well so just add me to your long list of fans.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I like red potatoes in the stew, I just quarter them and try to leave them in pretty big chunks, so they can get banged around when I thicken the gravy, but not dissolve completely. I grow Red Pontiac here, but I think any red potato would do.

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I don't think most people are in awe, I think they believe I'm about half crazy, LOL. I've always been very energetic and don't need much sleep, so that helps. If I were a kid today, they'd probably give me Ritalin!

Annie

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Annie your meals are a sight to behold. Lots of good eating being done! I really like the look of your smoked pork butt, a yummy looking crispy glaze.

Your mention of beef stew on Halloween night sure brought back memories. Mom always invited us to their place for Halloween and we'd help hand out candy and she always made beef stew. Hubby asks me periodically to try my hand at it and see if I could replicate Mom's.

The apples are in full force here, and I've made a couple of apple cobblers and apple crisps.

Neely, great looking pasties. I love anything with a pie pastry!

Tonight was a quick meal of a Chinese flavour. I cooked cappellini noodles and broccoli together and put them in a bowl with chicken breast chunks in a sweet and spicy sauce. I used spicy chili paste for the heat and we both deemed this a definite keeper.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

It's been a while since we had Chicken Marbella. It's such a delicious treat when we do have it.

• shambo
    6 years ago

Gosh, everyone's meals look so good. The mushroom soup would be wonderful on a chilly night and so would stew. The Asian chicken looks wonderful too. I've never made Chicken Marbella and had a hard time visualizing it. Your picture is perfect, Jasdip.

We celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary on the 1st, and I wanted to make my husband's favorite, Kreatopita. It's a Greek meat pita flavored with tomato, cinnamon, and a bit of nutmeg. I was too lazy to deal with fillo dough, so instead I used Marie Callender's frozen pie crusts. It actually came out quite good. But I had some meat mixture left over. Since the filling is so similar to the sauce I make for moussaka, I figured I'd make some eggplant too. We finished off the last of the pie for lunch today, and there's just 2 pieces of moussaka left. Tomorrow I'm hoping to make stuffed peppers and Japanese milk rolls.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Happy Anniversary, Shambo! Your dinner looks and sounds delicious.

Jasdip, both dinners look good, but the Asian inspired one really calls to me right now as I'm eating a bowl of oatmeal as a late supper. I smiled at the Halloween dinner being beef stew, mine was always sloppy joes. When I was a kid we called them "barbecues", and they rewarmed well, so we'd grab one before trick or treating and then grab another one when we got back while we were gloating over our candy "stash", LOL.

I should have made sloppy joes, but I made lasagna yesterday for The Princess' birthday, and red velvet cake, but of course I didn't take a picture of the lasagna, only the cake:

Tonight we had chili. I took about half a dozen pictures and they all looked ugly, so you'll have to imagine it, LOL, with some homemade honey wheat bread that I baked a few days ago. (Also pictured are a low sugar apple crisp and some gluten free lemon bars for Amanda's birthday, which was November 2)

Annie

• mamapinky0
    6 years ago

Annie, I made your beef stew for dinner today. It was a HUGE hit with my family. Even my picky husband loved it and ask I make it again soon. LOL. So again I thank you. I had crusty rolls and baked apples with it. I'll file it under T@T from Annie the farmer gal. Thanks Annie.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Happy Anniversary Shambo!

Annie, your Honey Whole Wheat and my regular white are our 2 go-to breads that I make. Your buns also look great, what kind are they?

Last night was a quick dinner of Pasta Puttanesca. I realized that I used all the capers in the chicken marbella so this time I did without. I put feta cheese on top which we really like.

I've yet to find anchovies so I always keep a tube of anchovie paste in the frig. It certainly works, I wonder what anchovies would taste like.

• neely
    6 years ago

I have a lot of catching up to do. All looks good but I must say that your mushroom soup looks really good shirl36. My most memorable mushroom soup was at a Polish restaurant... I couldn't believe how much flavour they got into that soup.

Rare roast lamb with Greek flavours., olives, feta garlic and mint...sorry Annie- about the lamb I mean.... for dinner one night. Jasdip, we like the strong flavour of feta on pasta sometimes as well.

And just tonight we had ginger and garlic chicken with bok choy and rice. DH cooked the bok choy. He always makes it soft with onions and a stock. I enjoy it but when I cook it, I do it more with a crunch as a stir fry.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Again, I've yet to make lamb, but when I see yours Neely, I always want to try it. I assume it's the young, New Zealand spring lamb type thing?

I made salmon patties out of a big can of salmon. We like it, as it's light and quick.

Brussels sprouts with dried cranberries, and another sweet potato cut in slices and sauteed/steamed. That's our new favourite way of eating sweet potatoes.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jasdip, the dinner rolls were just made out of some of the honey wheat dough. They look lighter in the picture, maybe I had them right under the light too much.

Neely, don't hide the lamb, it's fine by me. As long as I don't have to eat it, LOL. Peppi brought Elery some lamb shanks that are in the freezer, all vacuum sealed, so he'll have them sometime soon and be happy.

So, what's for dinner? I made some chili:

General Tso's chicken with brown rice and a side of brussels sprouts:

Caramel Macchiato banana bread with a caramel topping:

A mess of October beans:

Madi and Maci helped me decorate the dining room table for Thanksgiving (grin):

Dave and Elery were working on Dave's roof Wednesday, with a couple of other guys. It was cold and they were putting on big sheets of metal, I knew they would be hungry. I made a big dinner of pork roast, au gratin potatoes, fried cabbage, creamed corn, baked beans, garlic rolls and brownies for dessert. And I forgot to take a picture, LOL.

I think I might be caught up now!

Annie

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

I made ribs today in the slow cooker. I don't simmer them in the sauce, that's just a greasy, icky mess. I rub them with some spicy rub, set them on their ends around the slow-cooker so that the grease drains off. Then brush them with bbq sauce and into the oven/broiler.

I don't know why I don't think of taking my pictures showing a bite of the dish. I ate the crappy part of the rib first.....that skinny tail thing with the cartilage bone or whatever it is. Cutting into the actual rib was a beautiful cut. Nice and thick, it would have made a great pick. So just imagine, it was delicious :-)

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Jasdip, it looks delicious to me. I usually get a bite or two before I remember to take a picture, I thought I was the only one.

Annie

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

Jasdip: The ribs look delicious! Would you share your rub ingredients and how long do you cook?

• neely
    6 years ago

Good looking ribs Jasdip, And all looks good Annie. As you mention in the banana bread thread, butter is also my standby to make a fruit cake or fruit bread more delicious.

Well I walked passed the fish shop and they had fresh flounder. Sooo we each had a flounder cooked in burnt butter/ oil with parsley and a squeeze of lemon. My first time... it has a delicate flavour.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

lizbeth-gardener, I make a homemade all-purpose blend that's similar to a cajun, type spice. I can post the exact recipe if you like.

I rub it on the ribs and refrigerate for an hour. Then is set them on the bone ends around the slow cooker and cook on low 6-7 hours. In this case, I don't remove the membrane as I think It helps keep the meat on the bones better, when slow-cooking.

Brush with barbecue sauce then broil or roast in the oven so it forms a glaze.

Yesterday I made an angel food cake. We had it with thawed, frozen fruit.

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

Jasdip: I would love your dry rub recipe. Do you take the membrane off later or does it cook away? (I've always removed it.) And your cake looks delicious!

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Lizbeth, I've always removed the membrane but I read just this weekend to keep it on the rubs as it keeps them more intact in the slow cooker. It was perfectly fine, I won't go thru the hassle of removing it when I do them this way.

Thanks, on the cake. It's actually Anglophila's recipe. It's the second time I've made it and it comes out perfectly every time. This time, though, the top fell somewhat, I was dinking around in the kitchen and must have slammed something or did something. Angel cakes are quite delicate. But when it's upside down on the plate......the bottom looks great :-)

My rub recipe makes about 1 1/4 cups. I use it on almost everything.....eggs, meat (pork chops, yum) fish, roasted potatoes, homefries; when I'm breading anything I put it in the breading. it's a staple in our house. I also have a friend who requests a jar of it a couple times a year.

All-Purpose Seasoning

1/4 cup paprika

3 tbsp chili powder

2 1/2 tbsp dry mustard

1 1/2 tbsp kosher salt

2 tbsp sugar

1 tbsp cumin

2 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp cayenne pepper

1 tbsp black pepper

1 tbsp curry

1 tbsp ground basil (basil crumbled between my fingers)

2 tbsp ground coriander

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

Jasdip: Thanks for the dry rub recipe!

I've never baked an angel food cake, but it's on my "to-do" list. I have a dear older friend that loves them and thought I would give it a try. Are there any things I should know about baking angel food, other than using cake flour?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    6 years ago

Just opened this thread--I usually stay out of the "What's for Dinner" ones because they make me too hungy.

Dcarch, in re the old eggplant being bitter, I meant old as in "picked a long time ago" or "should have picked weeks ago" more than mature vs baby. In any case, ping tung long and its variants are rarely bitter. Bitterness is more a quality of the big Italian-style eggplants than the orientals.

Are there any things I should know about baking angel food, other than using cake flour?

It helps very much to have a dedicated tube pan that hasn't ever been greased. A lot of people don't get good results using a pan they've also used for, say, a bundt-type cake. Angel food needs to climb and it doesn't have a lot of grip.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Lizbeth, you need a bit of cream of tartar (1 tsp). As WritersBlock said, a never been greased angel food pan. It's just egg whites whipped with sugar and flour folded in. Sift the flour and sugar first so that it's very fine.

Vanilla and almond extract.

Put in a cold oven and bake for 1 hour. Turn the pan upside down to cool, that also helps the cake climb (the weight of it being upside down)

• neely
    6 years ago

I've never made an angel food cake and yours Jasdip, looks heavenly. Thanks for those tips... I will cook it one day!!!

Chicken schnitzel with ratatouille was our dinner one night

And because I had made extra schnitzels, we had them again with salads another night.

Carrot cake with butter ... no icing. I love cream cheese icing but rarely keep it ( the cheese) in the fridge.

• fawnridge (Ricky)
    6 years ago

Pasta Serenata Chicken casserole

Using my Pasta Serenata recipe (click here) I marinated boneless chicken breasts, chopped into bite size pieces, in olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic powder, and black pepper. Sauteed them in olive oil and mixed them with the pasta and sauce. Baked at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

Jasdip & WB: My pan is a one piece aluminum, angel food pan. It's an older hand-me-down. Do I need a non-stick?

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

No Lizbeth, you definitely do NOT want a non-stick. Mine is an old aluminum one as well, it happens to be a 2-piece though.

If you don't have the little 'legs' on the top of yours so that it sits on them when you turn it upside down, you'll have to set your pan upside down on something tall, like a bottle. The weight of the angel food cake being upside down, helps lighten it as well.

I just tried my hand at bagels!!!! I thought I had more sesame seeds than I did, so there aren't as many as I'd like. I also made the cookies that we like the best, I'd call them healthy cookies, they have granola, nuts, coconut and chocolate chips in them.

• User
    6 years ago

Jasdip, I've never tasted a homemade bagel. I can manage bread, but bagels intimidate me. Yours look delicious!

I stopped growing Swiss chard. Got tired of battling cabbage worms or whatever was eating my leaves. Now I buy it for $1/bunch (15-20 leaves) at the farmers market.

Made a tweaked version of SmittenKitchen's soup last night.

Lentil Soup with Italian Sausage & Swiss Chard

3 Tablespoons olive oil

2 large links of sweet Italian sausage, casings removed

1 medium onion, diced

2 celery stalks, sliced or diced

2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into half-moons or diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

crushed red pepper flakes

1 cup brown lentils, sorted and rinsed

2 bay leaves

1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes

6 cups water or chicken stock

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

3 to 4 cups shredded or thinly ribboned Swiss chard leaves

Grated Pecorino Romano cheese to finish

Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. When hot, add the sausage, breaking it up with a wooden spoon until it starts to brown, about five minutes. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, and red pepper flakes. Cook with the sausage until the vegetables soften a bit, another 5 minutes. Add the lentils, bay leaves, tomatoes, water, salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook until the lentils are tender, about 40 minutes. (It might be necessary to add more water if the soup gets too thick, though we preferred ours on the thick side.)

When the lentils are cooked*, add the chard and cook until the leaves are tender, just a few minutes more. Discard the bay leaves.

NOTE: *add a handful of Trader Joe’s Harvest Grains Blend last 10 minutes.

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

Jasdip: I actually have several angel food cake pans. All are aluminum. Some are two-piece and have legs; the one-piece does not. I thought I read somewhere that the two piece could leak. I take it from your comments, that really isn't a problem?

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Lizbeth, the 2-piece work like a charm.

• lizbeth-gardener
    6 years ago

Jasdip: Thanks for all your help. I won't get to try this till after T'giving, but will let you know how it turns out.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Wow, Jasdip, bagels! Those are impressive.

Cindy, for some reason I had some beetle eating the Napa cabbage this year, didn't touch the regular cabbage, just the Napa, so I probably won't grow that again either. I seem to have pretty good luck with collards in place of chard, I guess nothing eats collards, LOL. And they're pretty cold tolerant too. The soup looks good, it's definitely soup weather here.

ricky, at first glance I thought that casserole had filo dough. Gotta get my eyes checked, LOL, a closer look showed me they were noodles!

Neely, you're one of the few people I know that puts butter on something like carrot cake. We seldom had things frosted, cakes had a sprinkle of powdered sugar, maybe, muffins and quick breads and cinnamon rolls all had butter.

Here we've been eating well and with lots of variety. This was something both Elery and I agreed would not be tried again, it's sugo alle cime di rapa, a pasta dish with a sauce of broccoli raab and anchovies, cheese and olive oil. It was oily, very fishy and kind of bitter from the raab. The chickens got most of it.

Homemade Italian Sausage with the sauerkraut I packed this year, potatoes from this year's garden and glazed carrots:

Pulled pork with mashed sweet potatoes and collard greens:

The Princess was here and made calzones, stuffed with ham and cheese:

I made a flatbread with some of the Italian sausage, sweet peppers from the garden, onions and mushrooms, and a liberal sprinkling of all the bits of cheese in the fridge:

This was chicken korma, but I needed to use leftovers so we had it with mashed potatoes and collards, not traditional, LOL.

Last night I made venison medallions in a dijon cream sauce along with baked potatoes and Elery's beloved pink half runner beans that we grew last summer and canned:

Tonight we had whiting fillets with seasoned fries and Waldorf salad. My brother had purchased the whiting and found it to be strong, so he passed the remainder of the package to me. He was right, it was strong, I gave mine a liberal dose of honey mustard and it was passable but just barely:

OK, I think I'm caught up, what is everyone else having for dinner?

Annie

• neely
    6 years ago

Lots to catch up on. Chicken casserole looks good fawnridge and bagels, Jasdip, well done they look good. Your soup reads and looks good CindyMac.

Annie, so many yummy meals.

Here's couple of our recent dinners.

DH fired up the barbie so we had sausages with vegetables and salad.

These were Tandoori chicken legs and vegetables.

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

Annie, your meals are so wholesome and healthy, as always. Wow, I keep forgetting how much the Princess is growing up!!

Neely your lighting on your meals is so vibrant. Everything just jumps off of the screen, I love it. And your Tandoori chicken makes my mouth water. I must look up a recipe for it.

We had a meatloaf tonite, and crashed potatoes and steamed broccoli. Of course, I was almost done, and thought that it was picture-worthy after all. The meatloaf has finely minced carrot, celery and onions in it and topped with ketchup and mustard.

• neely
    6 years ago

That meatloaf would hit the spot anytime Jasdip.

I hope everyone had and is still having a lovely Thanksgiving . It's compelling reading about all your Thanksgiving food preparation on the whole forum. It's so interesting how some people do dishes different ways and how tradition plays a big part.

It seems to me that the green bean casserole is the most divisive of all the dishes and as I had never tried it, I decided to make it for a Thanksgiving cook along with you all. I chose an Alton Brown recipe that cooks the mushrooms from scratch with a rich creamy sauce. DH , youngest son and I all loved it and can appreciate its appeal even if it's iin decline.

I also cooked a small baked ham, which was covered in Dijon mustard and maple syrup. I couldn't decide on potatoes or sweet potatoes... so I combined them. Maybe I'll try sweet potato casserole with marshmallows next year.

I've made pumpkin pie many times before as it is a very popular vegetable here in Australia and we use it in many ways. I think I got carried away with the decoration but Oh well, we enjoyed it. Served with vanilla ice cream.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Neely, that all looks delicious, even the green bean casserole, which I detest. It's just so......goopy. Of course, my girls want the "canned beans/cream of mushroom soup/fried onions from a can" version and I can't even save that with homecanned green beans.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Annie

• Jasdip
    6 years ago

But Neely, your green bean casserole looks healthy! LOL So many of old traditional way is a sodium laden gloop. I've never had it, nor do I want to try it. :-)

One of our favourite ways of making white and sweet potatoes is cutting them into chunks with a bunch of whole garlic cloves and olive oil. Covered in foil, in the oven, then foil removed. Yours look good too! It's amazing how much faster sweet potatoes cook than regular.

• neely
    6 years ago

About the cooking of the potatoes and sweet potatoes Jasdip... I parboiled the white potatoes and then roasted both together and they turned out both cooked at the same time.

A return to pasta from the store cupboard.. Tin tomatoes, tin salmon, onions, garlic and rosemary.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

yesterday was our family Thanksgiving Dinner, so we had turkey and gravy and 2 kinds of stuffing and mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes with marshmallows and homemade rolls and 3 kinds of pie and a peach cobbler and things I probably don't even remember, LOL. I got a picture of the gluten free sweet potato torte and the raspberry cream cheese pie...

Before that we had some cabbage roll casserole and homemade bread, I made the casserole with venison because it's hunting season and my daughter, Ashley, was here to hunt:

Other days we had chicken noodle soup and the girls had some macaroni and cheese, but I forgot to take pictures of anything, of course.

Well, I did get some pictures of the appetizers for Thanksgiving dinner, deviled eggs and pimento cheese with crackers and pickles and olives.....

My daughters love that green bean casserole and I don't. So I browned some bacon, dumped some home canned green beans into the pan and let them saute, stirred in the crumbled crisp bacon and topped with onion rings. Since one daughter is celiac, she can't have the onion topping usually used, so I made my own out of buttermilk, cornstarch and onion strings, fried in oil:

I had to slap hands to keep people from eating all the onions while they were draining and waiting to be added to the top of the green beans!

Annie

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    6 years ago

No pictures, but a delicious dinner tonight. I rubbed a pork tenderloin with salt, pepper, spread a mixture of dark brown sugar and honey mustard, and sprinkled it with rosemary. Let it sit for 30 minutes.

Then I browned it, in a cast iron skillet, on Med high heat on all sides, for about 6-7 minutes. Then popped it into a preheated 400* oven for 15 minutes. Let it sit for about 5 minutes. Sliced it and served with leftover sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, and Stouffers frozen spinach soufflé. SO good!

• neely
    6 years ago

Sounds delicious Anglophilia. That onion topping for the beans looks yummy Annie as do the other dishes. Raspberry cream cheese pie Ummmm.

Now you might be thinking this is one of my galettes' - strawberry- but actually it's a too brown pavlova. DH liked it even though it was airy light.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Neely, the pavlova still looks fine to me, and those strawberries are lovely.

Anglophilia, the pork sounds delicious.

My husband says I'm boring, every morning I have one egg, over easy, some type of toast and a cup of coffee in my favorite little Jadite mug. It's the perfect size, I can actually drink it all before the coffee gets cold! Anyway, a dear friend gifted me with some Portuguese muffins, so I've been having half of one of those with breakfast. They are more dense than regular English Muffins and a little sweet, with raisins, very yummy:

I've been hungry for beef barley soup, so I made some of that today:

Yesterday I made a big salad with some of the turkey. I'm not crazy for salads, but Elery loves them, so occasionally I cave in and we have salad for supper. He had some homemade maple oatmeal bread with his, the salad alone was enough for me:

We've been busy making other things too, like a batch of Habanero Gold jelly for Christmas savory cheesecake:

A big batch of venison and cheddar sausage:

Elery was packaging the sausage while I made cookies for the freezer. These were those flourless peanut butter cookies, all scooped out and the frozen lumps will be placed in a freezer bag until I want them, then they'll be thawed and baked:

Somehow these four didn't make it onto the sheet pan and had to be baked. "Oh, darn", was Elery's reaction, LOL.

Tomorrow Madi and Maci will be here while Ashley goes hunting, last day of deer season here for rifle hunters. I'm thinking pizza.....

Annie

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    6 years ago

I need that cookie recipe Annie. I usually just make Mom-mom Nellies Chocolate Crinkles but that would be a perfect pairing packaged together and on a plate...chocolate and peanut butter always a good combo.

Sausage looks amazing!