SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mamapinky0

Me

mamapinky0
6 years ago

Remember that cold I had...well it developed a bit so I'm in the hospital a few days. Pneumonia. I am fine but really hate being away from home. I tried to talk the doctor into letting me just stay home and rest but hubs big mouth told the doc I can't be trusted. Soo I'm resting here in ahard bed that makes all sorts of noises and ddon't get me started on the bedding....anyway I'll be out in a few days and I'm fine. Doc says just stay here a couple days than I can go home.

Comments (134)

• ldstarr
    6 years ago

So glad to hear that you're home. Take care of yourself, the other stuff will be there for when you're feeling much, much better.

mamapinky0 thanked ldstarr
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

Mamapinky, your words moved me to tears- thank you so much. I am incredibly grateful for your friendship and am determined we will sit across a real kitchen table across from one another with the kerfuffle of six boys mingling in the background. And I think the things that we have in common far outweigh any circumstances that differ.

mamapinky0 thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Related Discussions

Help Me, Help Me, Help Me!!!

Q

Comments (2)
    They're doing some upgrading and changing. It seems every time I get into Photobucket, even if it is once a day, something has been changed. It's a busy place over there! LOL
    ...See More

Give me a B, Give me a L, give me a T --------

Q

Comments (9)
    You people are just too kind. Thanks. ItÂs a lot of fun to try to do something to simple foods. These basic BLT sandwiches were part of the dinner party I had recently. In addition to bacon, I had smoked salmon, sliced turkey, shrimp salad, etc. Everything was prepared in advance. ItÂs important in a party that you donÂt end up spending all your time in the kitchen. You can have a very nice enjoyable party without spending a lot of money and time. dcarch
    ...See More

Private Practice! Who loves it? Me, me, me!

Q

Comments (5)
    I wanted to like it, but when I watched the first time, it seemed like they were just playing musical beds ... but I suppose that is what happens on Grey's, too. I USED to like Grey's, but it quickly became same old, same old...
    ...See More

Fool me one, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me!!!

Q

Comments (35)
    @rococogurl, I'd send you a PM, but I can't figure out where your "Message" button is. :/ I'd be more than happy to send you some though. For what it's worth.. if you didn't know any better, the beads look exactly like Real MegaPerls, and the Scent is dead on. But... it's like it's missing Oxygen Bleach completely, or it doesn't seem to activate at any temperature (40*, 50*, or 60*). And... for it containing so many enzymes, you'd think it'd clean up anything thrown at it, even if it didn't have oxygen... but it doesn't. It's like pouring in a cup of table salt. What really bugs me... or sets me off though, is even with the German Universal Powder, or German Megaperls.. despite being low-sudsing.. you still see some small bubbles on the glass. This doesn't have that at all. It's like nothing is there. I don't know. It's not like someone dumped something else in the container. It represents what the product is supposed to be, but... it's like nothing is really there, but fragrance.
    ...See More
  • janey_alabama
    6 years ago

Sorry you had to be in the hospital, glad to hear that you are back home. Now please take it easy & let everyone help you.

mamapinky0 thanked janey_alabama
    6 years ago

Now, back to the subject of this thread ;-) I am so glad you are home and recovering nicely. Pneumonia is a bear, so please be careful.

How very nice to come home to a house that has been kept up perfectly by your sweet boys (both big and small.) And that adorable Chip! He is the youngest and is looking out for the smallest member of the family- could anything be more perfect?

As for the bossy streak- well- you can guess- I love that too. It's important for adults who work with bright children to remember that even though a smart boy has a big vocabulary and a lot of self-confidence, he is still a child and needs guidance and support, no need to become defensive. If he knew exactly when to hold his tongue and when not to, he would not still be in elementary school.

• lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

Oh bless his heart, Chris was using what he had heard about batteries to protect the dog. He is one loving, caring child. Be so proud of that.

mamapinky0 thanked lindaohnowga
  • chisue
    6 years ago

Shaking my head about your Chip. Your lessons about personal responsibility may have 'taken' too well! No Eight needs to be so alert to every little thing. (Or was he 'standing in' for you?)

mamapinky0 thanked chisue
  • Jasdip
    6 years ago

This thread made me smile. You're such a delight, even when not feeling your best. Your fingertips must be literally itching to get at the laundry.

Chip folded the dirty laundry? How cute!!! He's obviously wanting to help with the greatest gift of all.....laundry. You're teaching him well.

You'll be tired, doing any kind of exertion at all, so don't over-exert yourself, and rest often. We need you here at the table, and of course at your loving laundry forum. :-)

mamapinky0 thanked Jasdip
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all so very much for all of your inspiration. I have mostly listened to my body and what its telling me I can and can't do because of all of you so Thank You All.

I mostly layed around today...mostly.. I did walk around off and on thinking what needs done, but other than start a load of bath towels I turned my head on everything else..out of character for me, but I'm paying attention to what my bodys saying. Today is Tims 10'th bbirthday but were celebrating tomorrow with the dinner of his choice..he picked lasagna. ..Yessss because I just put a tray in the freezer about 5 or 6 weeks ago...so it will be so easy with a salad and crusty bread ( no I'm not baking it) . I do need to do a cake. He wants a Halloween cake. Amiee made a Hersheys chocolate cake today and frosted it chocolate..we will decorate it tomorrow. I'll post a pic.

I do feel drained, and I told the doctor this today w hen she called to check on me..she said I will feel this way for awhile because my body is fighting an infection and that's why she put on my release papers**activity as tolorated** she did say I should begin feeling much better within 10 days and back to normal within 4 weeks.....4WEEKS???? Holy moley..

Rita I understand what your saying about Chip...he may be bright but he's still mentally a 8 year old. Very true. Thank You.

6 years ago

Uh-oh, I think I miscommunicated my thinking about Chip badly. My reason for mentioning that Chip was in elementary school was to mollify the teacher who could have taken offense at Chip's remark. It is my unfortunate experience that sometimes teachers become defensive when they feel challenged by bright children. I learned to diffuse this a bit by pointing out that the child is still learning a lot of things and needs the teachers understanding and help to mature.

I very seriously doubt Chip is intellectually an 8 year old since his older brother is advanced, chances are he is too. I have a deep respect for children who speak up for themselves.

I am glad you had a good day at home and ever so pleased you are listening to your body.

I hope Tim has a wonderful birthday celebration tomorrow! Aimee's cake sounds wonderful.

• sjerin
    6 years ago

I'm glad to read you're feeling better now, and taking it easy, sort of. :)

It seems to me that although (because?) Chip is a smart boy, he may have a tendency toward ocd and anxiety. My kids went through a bit of that and I can see now the unusual worries they had when kids were indicative of the problem. I don't mean to frighten you and it can definitely be handled if that is the case, but you may want to make an effort to ease his worries. Sorry for the unsolicited advice.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rita I understand what your saying..haha As for Chip being advanced also..ya I see it as does the school..he will be doing some testing after the holidays, but we've opted to keep him in his current settings if tests show advance classes will benefit him for the remainder of this year.

Sjerin, your advice is welcome. Honestly I see ocd in Chip, I always have. The first time I picked up on it he must have been about 3 when a car or two wasn't enough to play with he needed all the toy cars than he would line them up...color coded..but all front ends had to be perfectly in alignment which than caused the rears of the cars not to be in alignment...yes he became very frustrated over this. A throw rug in the kitchen drove him bananas it had to be perfect no flipped edges or even the tiniest bit moved out of place, I took the rug out. There have been lots of things that grab his interest and he fixates on it....when he was learning the alphabet, we bought those colored letters that stick to the frig..a bunch of different colors that really bothered him..he wanted them all one color not a mix of colors......I noticed a dramatic change in him once he started school...as long as he has math or a book or in his case 4 books at once that he's involved in he does not fixate on other things...and yes he will take turns reading several books and still be able to verbally explain the books to me.

This is exactly why Chip has to tell others how to do something...if he feels his way works better for him he doesn't care who it is he will tell them how to do the job. His folding the dirty laundry that I mentioned above is of course another example of Chip. He is a bright and complex boy...and needs his mind occupied all the time...give him a more challanging book to read and he's suddenly a typical 8 year old between chapters...give him an age approp. book with pictures and he's frustrated. He's in fact exactly like his father...but you've heard the saying...he's so smart he's dumb....that fits his father...it will never be said of Chip.

• sjerin
    6 years ago

Thanks for not taking offense. He will be fine if he's aware of the issue (when older?) so that it doesn't worry him. I didn't see it in my first daughter as hers presented differently, and it made her very unhappy by middle school.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sjerin...absolutly no offense.

Chips doctor and the Child Psycologist we touched base with a half dozen times when Chip was 6 told us to remain relaxed when he shows these ocd episodes and let him be...but if we see frustration building redirect his attention somewhere else without commenting on what has frustrated him...I was also told this is much more common in children that are advanced..I don't know about that but I do know if Chip has something challanging to occupy his mind he's much calmer and content.

Tims birthday cake is finished...Amiee did a fine job...its totally cute. Tim wanted a Halloween cake which is what he got. I'll post a pic later when I'm able to sneak a photo without Tim seeing it.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

Hi Mama....I hope Tim's party is lots of fun today. And that you are still on the mend, not over extending yourself. Is his party immediate family? Not too many needing your attention, time on your feet?

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Morz, just us, Kody (AmieesBF) my son Michael, boys dad and he better be here and my son Matt. I told Tim in a few weeks when I'm back to normal LOL he can invite a few kids over for pizza and movie day..he loves that idea. I'm thinking a Saturday afternoon from maybe 3 to 7..

• User
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

It takes a while to heal so don't overdo, right?

Generally, I THINK I'm good to go on a chore and it's totally exhausting...sometimes, even taking a shower will knock you out!

Baby steps when you're getting better :)

mamapinky0 thanked User
  • mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Sigh......I got the chills today and thought oh crap. Took my temp and it was 101.4 I haven't had a fever in days. I'm going to call the doc in the morning..I'll be given an appt time for tomorrow as long as I call between 8.15 & 9.00 am. Maybe I have a sinus infection now although I have no symptoms of one. I have been resting that's not been a problem for me because I just have zero energy. Have you ever felt like your just sick of being sick...that's how I feel.

• glenda_al
    6 years ago

Special thoughts for you!

• User
    6 years ago

Absolutely, mama! I'm sick and tired of feeling sick and tired...

:(

• Rusty
    6 years ago

MP, I've got to ask, did you get the pneumonia shots? If not, can you get them when you are over this bout?

Hope you are doing much better today!

Rusty

• lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

Let us know what's what after you see the doctor again. I don't like that you are running a fever. Once you are completely back to good health, please get a pneumonia shot.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Perhaps you need a different antibiotic?

• nickel_kg
    6 years ago

Glad you're paying attention to how you feel, and contacting the doctor. Good luck :-)

6 years ago

I hope you are feeling better. Please be good to yourself.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all.....no new antibotic.. I tested positive for influenza B. I must have come into contact with it maybe in the hospital. its just a shame this had to strike just as I was recovering from pneumonia. If youve ever had both of these you know the flu really really feels so much worse. I'll recover and yes I'm down but not so much because its best but because I just do not want up. I'd rather just curl up and get up another time when all this is over.

Hope the boys nor Amiee get this or Mike won't be going to work.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Oh no! That can't be! You aren't even over the pneumonia What the heck? It's those hospitals ...... full of germs :-( Take care MamaP, we're rooting for you!

• OklaMoni
    6 years ago

Yikes, Mama, I hope you get better soon! Best well wishes!

Moni

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks kids. I feel sick this time. I am alt tylenol and motrin every 3 hours...I handled the pneumonia ok but the flu causes pain everywhere...body aches does not describe it. I feel like acting like a baby. Mike bought me gatorade I really hate that stuff. I'd rather drink sprite with cranberry juice. See WaaaaWaaaa.

I'm really not much of a complainer when I'm sick but in order to talk in a forum about it it sure is going to come off that way....stay healthy everyone.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also want to add that my dishwasher died so ill have to be out of one until after Xmas WaaaaaWaaaaaWaaaaa

• lindaohnowga
    6 years ago

Once you are completely back to good health, not only do you need to get a pneumonia shot, you need to get the flu shot too. I know they don't cover "all" strains of flu but I still feel they are worth getting. Sure hope you feel better soon and the rest of the family doesn't get it from you.

6 years ago

I am so sorry!! The flu is horrible. The first time I had it I was in college and it gave me a glimpse of what it meant to be old. I had to take a rest in the middle of showering- and that was when I was well enough to shower! Drink lots of fluids to help flush out the nasty virus. I hope you feel a wee bit better in the morning. I know it's a tough slog.

• Rusty
    6 years ago

Definitely get those shots! ! ! ! !

You might try a different flavor of Gatorade, some of them are actually kind of good. Any liquid is good, even plain old water! If you are worried about your electrolytes and don't like Gatorade, try Pediolyte. (Spelling?) Do you have the doctor's okay to be taking that much Tylenol and Motrin? And tell whoever is washing the dishes now to put a capful or 2 of Clorox in the dish water, it will help keep the germs from used silverware and drinkware, etc., from spreading.

Take care of yourself, "this, too, shall pass'.

Rusty

• beaglenc
    6 years ago

Hey MamaP. I've been lurking on here for a while. Well I'm done with that. Ha ha! Bless you heart! When it rains it pours. Did they not give you some Tama Flu? Chicken soup, lots of OJ, sports drinks are loaded with sugar, so be careful with those. I wish I could physically help you out some. The flu can be a real bear in the best of circumstances but it's a double whammy now. Please take extra special care of yourself. Love ya.

• sjerin
    6 years ago

Poor you, and I mean that. I hate Gatorade as well (wayyyy too sweet!) and prefer sprite or coke when I'm sick. I hope you're over this quickly.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    6 years ago

A few years ago my mothers doctor (on the other side of the country) ordered Gatorade when she had pneumonia too. Mom was offended, she knew it from ads as a sports drink, had no idea it contained contain sugar and electrolytes like sodium and potassium....things she may need when feverish and had no appetite. She drank it reluctantly, but drank it.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Bea, haha....they offered me a script for Tamaflu but its expensive and I have no coverage so I'm free flying it. My laundry is piling up and I don't care so I must be sick. Amiees bed hasn't been changed in a couple days so that has to be done tomorrow she wanted to try but I told her I'd rather huff and puff around the bed than to have to pick her up from the floor. LOL. Love you back Bea.

Morz..I'm sipping at the gatorade I mixed the clear cherry with cranberry juice and its better.

Thank you all for caring...

• sprtphntc7a
    6 years ago

try Powerade Zero.... no sugar but sugar substitute...i like it better than regular gatorade. not as sweet and i do dilute it with water...

feel better soon, the Flu is just the Worst!!!!!

• happy2b…gw
    6 years ago

I wish I lived nearby. I would bring you some homemade chicken soup.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Happy...your kind thought is very much appreciated. Thank You.

6 years ago

Happy could bring you chicken soup and I could do your laundry and make your bed, if I lived just a bit closer. (Gosh how I wish we had met back when my husband/fiance at the time, was in Pittsburgh for a year. I would visit him every other week and knew no one.)

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rita that would have been awesome. I'm 40 miles from Pittsburgh but were there monthly at Childrens hospital..often I'm there more frequently.

Thank you for the great thought.

• matthias_lang
    6 years ago

Just stay in bed. You have both pneumonia and influenza. I don't know how the H you can do anything but be in bed coughing and trying to breathe. Chatting on the internet about Gatorade versus cherry something? Flu kills. So does pneumonia. Don't waste your strength chatting about your kid's laundry.

6 years ago

DH was in Jefferson Hill, PA- not Pittsburgh. His work/school was in West Mifflin.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Matthias, I'm in bed. I'm using my phone to log in here. I've been in and out on the forum a few times today for a few minutes at a time but mostly I've been sleeping. Which is what I'm going to do again in about 10 minutes. Thank You.

6 years ago

I hope you are feeling a wee bit better, Mamapinky. I don't like not seeing you post all day long.

• Elizabeth
    6 years ago

Could you manage, maybe tomorrow, just a tiny word here to say you are OK. We worry.

• mamapinky0
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Rita and Elizabeth Thank You. I feel horrendous, and I look just as bad. why did I think I'd feel better in a day or two when the flu doesn't work that way...I had to call the doc today as I now have an ear infection. He called me an antibotic in which is good because I couldn't have showered, dressed and gone in. I am going to soak in a warm tub in awhile not that I have the energy but its been two days since my last shower. Mike is going to change my sheets and duvet cover while I soak...I can't lay in a bed with sheets that I sweated in....I'm listening to you all besides I just can't do anything and guess what I don't care what does or doesn't get done..the kids are really taking care of stuff along with Mike. I heard the washer spinning earlier...Chip showed Mike how to wash sheets and what detergent to use. I heard Chip saying pap they get washed on allergen cycle to kill dust mites...Mike said we don't have bugs...I bet Chip rolled his eyes. I know if my 8 yo is supervising sheet washing they will be snow white and fresh lol. Mikes going to work tomorrow but my son Michael will be here and son Matt around noon..they are cleaning house and I'm staying in bed because I don't care if they do it my way or their way. Laying in bed listening to the boys teach Mike how I do things around here would be funny if I had the energy to laugh which I did when I heard Tim tell pap... if grandma finds out you washed a pot before the cups and glasses she's going to make you wash everything over again but pap I won't tell her but you better warn big mouth Chip not to tell. Than I heard Mike tell Chip if you promise not to tell grandma I washed the dishes wrong you can have cookies for breakfast..OMG LOL he's bribing my kid....how much you want to bet when I'm better Chip tells all..haha.

Ok Thank You for worrying about me I'm sure my old carcass will recover in a few days. Lol

• blfenton
    6 years ago

It is going to take you a month, so behave.

Do take care, please. Set backs are so easy with pneumonia.

• happy2b…gw
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I know you feel awful but at least you can still chuckle. The flu is terrible; I had it once. I had to go to doc's office several times in the course of a week because I was just not getting better and I had taken Tamaflu. The flu can throw you for a loop. You have a great family. You have a great family.

One more thing, I am going to make chicken soup tomorrow. I will keep a window open and blow some of the aroma your way. Virtual chicken soup therapy.

6 years ago

Thank you so much for checking in despite feeling so terribly. Your boys are much too cute, Mamapinky. Tim and Chip have learned their lessons well- their wives will be very grateful one day.

Sleep well. You are always in my thoughts and prayers.