SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Oh No, Not Another Roasted Chicken!

For me, roasting chicken and roasting turkey are a great challenge. There are so many parts in a bird, each requires a different way of cooking it.

Here is a method I am trying out, with a chicken first, then I will be doing it with a Thanksgiving turkey.

1. Chicken is dry brined all over, under the skin and inside the cavity. This is very easy to do. Refrigerate chicken overnight.

2. Take the cold chicken out of the refrigerator into the convection oven set at 170F, and at the same time cook the chicken from inside out with a heater inside the chicken's cavity. This solves the universal problem of quickly and evenly cooking a big cold bird with thick meat. using very low temperature. The convection oven dries up the skin, which is required for the skin to be crispy.

3. Once the internal temperature reaches 140F, The bird is taken out and into the refrigerator for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, get the oven's broiler fired up at high.

4. Take the bird out from the refrigerator after 20 minutes and put it into the broiler. To help better making the skin evenly crispy, use aluminum foil as reflectors, shiny side facing the bird at 45 degree angle. Broiler cooks by infrared and aluminum reflect IR. This setup minimizes soggy skin.

Sounds very complicated way to roast a chicken or turkey. Not really, especially not with what the end result I can get.

dcarch

Comments (9)