SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
random_bunny75

Did not apply starter fertilizer while seeding new lawn

Random Bunny
6 years ago

I had some guys come over today to grade our backyard and plant grass seed to get new lawn started. They laid down grass seed and then spread straw over top- all together about 2000 sq ft of new area.

But then I realized they never applied any starter fertilizer. When I asked, the guy said he did not bring starter fertilizer but if I want I can buy a bag of Scott's starter fertilizer and apply after seeds germinate. I feel he should have applied fertilizer along with the seed before laying straw on top.

- Do you think its too late now to apply starter fertilizer? There is straw over the seed already. So even if I buy starter fertilizer and try to spread it now- I fear it wont make its way to soil and will stay in the straw layer.

- Is the guy right- when he said I can apply fertilizer after I start seeing grass blades popping through straw? Again, how will fertilizer go down to the soil?

- What do you guys suggest I do? I have not yet watered (the first watering after grass seed planting) the new lawn yet- because once I water then I have to keep it moist, I want to figure out this fertilizer situation first.

Appreciate any advice you may have for me.

Comments (4)