SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

Daughter vs Her Stalker: I Am So Afraid!

LynnNM
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

My sweet, seriously gorgeous daughter has a man stalking her at grad school, and it is scaring me so much that I can barely sleep at night!

We moved her into a very nice, large apartment complex in Colorado Springs in early June. She has a lovely, one-bedroom apartment on the top/ Third floor there ; 4 apartments on each of 3 floors per building.

Anyhoo, 4 days ago our DD calls us to tell us this guy (age estimate 30-40) who lives on the first floor of her apartment building has been stalking her for the past couple of months, and now she's getting scared. Ok, so now DH and I are freaking out, still on vacation on the Oregon Coast! I haven't felt so helpless and frightened since I went eclamptic and had her two months early, 23 years ago! DH, is thankfully such a calm guy, listened to what had transpired and advised her to call the CS police and ask to have an officer come out and tell him/her what has been happening.

What had been happening: this guy has been appearing whenever DD leaves her apartment, always standing there watching her. Never saying more than hi. 24/7 he watches her outside, as his apartment is on the other side from their building entrance. He knows from observation that she has a serious boyfriend who doesn't live with her, but seems obsessed with her anyway. He comes up to her door, knocks, and the runs away before she opens it. But, four nights ago he knocked, didn't run, handed her a slip of paper with his phone number and the words, "Call me so we can talk " on it. And then , not saying a word, sprinted down the (outside) stairs. That's when she called us, frightened. His assigned covered parking spot is just 2 down from hers. He is always close by.

Thankfully, CSPD sent out 2 detectives who talked extensively with her. Then went down and talked with him. They then came back up to tell her what they found and their assessment of the situation. They told her that he had been in the military. Had had a very severe brain injury ( don't know if while in military or not). Unable to communicate verbally well now, though. Living on his own there (seriously?!?). Most likely total disability, our guess. Very intimidated by police showing up to talk with him. Seemed meek. Big, fit looking guy, though. The police officers were gentle, but firm. They told him that she called them because he was frightening her and making her very uncomfortable by following her. They told him that he had to stop immediately and have no more contact with her. But, if he persisted, they would be back to take action. They ask him and if he understood and he said yes he did, and felt very badly about it.

She was somewhat relieved, although they told her not to take any chances and to always be diligent and watch for him. I suppose that we should feel relieved as well, but we all know how many times bad things happen, perpetrated by supposedly good people whose friends and family always say afterwards , "We had no idea he could do something like this!"

Frankly, I am scared out of my wits for her. Her dad and big brother are also still very worried. She's a very smart, observant, not excitable, down to earth young woman. This past Christmas I ( thankfully) gave her a stun gun in her Christmas stocking. Yes I know, probably an overly protective mom. I am, and a fierce tiger mom, too, in times like this (lol)! It is now on her key ring which she carries always . . . now. She's going to look into Krav maga martial arts defense classes tomorrow, per her big brother's suggestion. That's the martial arts that teaches you to quickly and efficiently physically put down someone attacking you. Put them down hard and very effectively so they can't come right up after you.

This is a long post, and I apologize for that. But, right now I am one very frightened mom. If I was there, I would have no problem confronting him first verbally, and if I had to, physically. I'm a very strong person, and not afraid of too much . But I am afraid for my little girl right now, and this is very, very difficult for me.

Comments (96)