SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Serious Black clematis pruning ?

linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

I planted this a year ago in late May. I wanted it more for the purple foliage, flowers are secondary. In my garden the foliage is olive green, not purple. It must need much more sun to be purple. In this spot it gets filtered sun in mornings, direct sun from noon to 4 pm, house shade after.

It did not bloom this year. It emerged so late I thought it was dead. It reached about 18” in height, tied to a support (I know it’s a bush clematis, so I expect short, and will hope for a little more in future).

Another short clematis (Piluu) planted the same time, did great. Grew to expected height and bloomed very well.

I was googling it to find out when to prune it, and saw an article that said it should be pruned to the ground in late fall or early spring.

Really? To the ground? I have not seen that on other clematis’ descriptions. That means just chop off everything at ground level?

Another article called it a Group 2 . “The time to prune this group is in early spring just as buds swell. Dead and weak shoots should be removed and the remaining shoots cut back to 6-9 inches above a couple of well-developed buds.”

If I remember correctly, this spring, everything above ground was dead. So that, in effect, was pruning to the ground.

Thanks.

Comments (6)