SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachem

Week 153 - Remodel advice for after a flood

beachem
6 years ago

My best wishes and prayers for those who are being devastated by the hurricanes and incoming storms.

Having dealt with a flood and going into the 3rd year of the remodeling due to the lack of payout, I would like to share some hard earned mistakes and experience to help those who will be rebuilding after our devastating hurricanes.

Please share your experiences as well.

1. During mitigation, make them go into your walls. My insulation soaked and draw water up the wall.

2. Just because you have porcelain or stone floors doesn't mean they're not damaged. Flood water can damage the grout used to attach your flooring to sub floor. Don't let them rush off the mitigation. I had to do additional demo on my own dime after the mitigators signed off for the insurance company.

3. Don't let the insurance company pressure you into rushing.

4. Check the reviews of the companies your insurance company uses. The ones mine used had horrible ratings about competency with comments like " if I could give negative stars, I would."

5. Check every single line item of your insurance claim detail payout. Mine had tons of mistakes that I found when I broke them down via excel spreadsheet. They ranged from low square footage calculation to missing damage and low payout. My flooring install was calculated at $.75/SF. You can't even get illegal workers for that. Market cost ranged from $7.60-8.50/SF.

6. Always ask yourself, what other options can I do if you're managing the construction yourself. This would have saved me thousands if I had done so with every step.

7. Question everything.

There are so many more mistakes that I lived thru but these can be a start.

Comments (7)