SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

My Old "work horse" is Being Replaced and Advice Needed

Cherryfizz
6 years ago

Because of the flooding my city experienced with the heavy rainfall my 48 year old furnace has to be replaced. It served my family well and in all those years it only needed one small part replaced. My gas and hydro bills were never high because of its age and it heated my house well. Even my yearly furnace service guys said never to get rid of it as long as it remained safe to use. I remember the day our old coal stoker was removed and that furnace installed. It was a great time saver for my Dad not having to haul out slag and put new coal into the stoker. The furnace was up on blocks but the amount of water that flooded my basement was the highest this house has ever experienced and this time it damaged my washer, dryer, freezer, hot water tank and furnace.

Lucky for me I did have $10,000 sewer back up and flood insurance but my insurance broker has threatened to end my policy if I put in a 3rd claim - one that is still active and one that was a previous flooding in 2005 and then this one. I had no choice but to put in the claim to replace my appliances. I am fortunate than most because my basement is cement block walls and cement floor. It only took 2 days for my claim to be processed and I received a phone call from my adjuster to say she was going to just cut me the check. She said she didn't need to see any receipts or pictures and that my claim was just a drop in the bucket to the other claims and losses. I still haven't heard back from my broker if I am going to lose my policy.

So I had a quote for the new furnace which shocked the heck out of me and will eat up more than half of the insurance money but that is what it is for. I have space in my kitchen next to my refrigerator to put in a stackable washer and dryer set because if I flood again which will most likely happen since this is our 2nd major flood in a year because of the heavy rainfall. The plumbing is right below so it shouldn't be too hard to get it plumbed and a new electric outlet put in. I loved my HE Maytag Brava top loader but with a stackable you have to have a front loader.

Everyone is telling me a front loader is not good if you have a bad back which I do but I think I can sit on a kitchen chair to reach the wet clothes . I have never had experiences with a front loader washer. I then started thinking about getting an all in one washer/dryer but reading reviews read that drying time could be between 2 and 4 hours. My cousin is going to take me out to look at washer and dryers this week sometime to see what is best. I am still waiting on my handy man friend Ken to come and disinfect my basement, hopefully tomorrow and I will give him the job of installing the new washer and dryer.

Any advice on having a main floor stackable washer and dryer would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (22)