SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jayme1_gw

Advice needed on replacing old aluminum porch windows

Jayme1
13 years ago

Hi all, I need some help, after living in my little home for 21 years, I'm finally able to do some work on my back porch and I would love to have new windows - ones that actually open and close! One estimate is 2600.00 and the other 2000.00 - these are for the el' cheapo windows - they don't have argon gas or a low E rating (I have 8 windows)

I don't have a big budget, and that seems a bit much for windows that aren't that good - I would like them to be a little insulating even though I can't afford the best. My thought was I could do this myself since there is no siding, window trim or much else to deal with and buy a little better windows.

It seems to me that new windows are thick or wide and I don't have much wood to work with, the wood sections are 2" wide (marked in the photos below). I don't even want to attempt to remove the wood that is there (to put in wider pieces) because it's attached to cement blocks. I can work with wood, I'm not at all any good with any type of cement/brick.

And removing the wood scroll work above the windows - not sure how difficult that might be.

So, can I just go to a local store and buy regular windows? If the size is right anyway, I have one that is only about 12" wide but I could put a stationary window there if I can get one made that little, that would work for me.

Is this something that would become complicated because of the narrow wood widths? Or could the screws holding them in be so shot I can't get them out? Should I hang up the dream of having a back porch with functioning windows? I really appreciate any advice, tips, any help you can give me - I have never installed a window before.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (5)