SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aerialblitz

Need Help Assessing Lawn Issue(s) (Canada)

aerialblitz
6 years ago

New to lawn care and needed help assessing why my overseeded lawn has thinned/yellowed out late summer.

This same thinning happened in the late spring after the grass had nicely come in (I had aerated/overseeded/light top dressing with Scott's turf builder) which I then over seeded again at this time to make up for the thinning which recovered I thought nicely (picture below).

I had sprayed nematodes also late spring a few weeks after the seeding and figured it could have caused the thinning? I did not apply a starter fertilizer which I should have.

I put down 1.5 inches total of water a week with a rain gauge (2 times a week) more so in the later afternoon/early evening when I return from work. During overseeding I water 2x daily to keep the seed moist. I cut the grass to at least 2 inches with a manual reel mower and apply milo once a month. The area has high shade with a 50 foot sugar maple in the front yard and have used Scott's shady grass mix (I think it has a higher tall fescue seed concentration). Would love to use KBG but sunlight exposure is around 2-3 hours a day. Below are the pictures of the thinning/yellowing happening (I have also noticed some white powdery mildew (seen in last picture).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)