SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ymlccc

Need help with my new lawn mower (Poulan Pro with Honda GVC 160)

ymlccc
14 years ago

Hi,

I am the new member from Canada; it's a great forum with lots expert advices. I really appreciate anyone who can give some pointers to my newly bought mower.

I recently bought my first gas powered lawn mower from local costco (Canada); it's a Poulan Pro 3-in-1 push gas mower with Honda GVC 160 (OHC) engine. I bought it because of the Honda engine and the price (under 300$ CND).

I thought it should be a wonderful mower but my nightmare just started since the first day.

It's about 3 weeks old and I still have the last week to evaluate it before I return it back to costco.

Symptom:

-The engine started the first pull but after cutting for 2-3 minutes, the engine will get weaker (you can hear it) and then stall. It happens all the time! It does that every 2-3 minutes. I have to restart the mower by turning the engine switch to off wait couple seconds then turn the engine switch on again, pull the cord, it's so annoying! I checked the bag, it's not even full (40 full, but definitely have room for more clipping).

Questions:

-Since it's my first gas mower, I added the whole bottle of engine oil that came with it (small bottle), does that really matter?

-I thought maybe the grass on my lawn was taller (thinker) at first cut (I already adjusted the mower to highest position, all 4 wheels), but 10 days after the first cut (today) when I used it, the same problem persisted. I am so frustrated...

-For this particular engine, what's the correct procedure to restart the engine? It seems I have to turn the engine switch on and off every time when I restart the mower. I am sorry to ask this question, but the owner manual is poorly written...

Will others perform better?

I am thinking maybe I should return this machine to costco and buy other models instead. Here is a list of models in my mind:

-Craftsman 3-in-1 push mower with B&S 800 series mower (8.5 ft/lb torque!) 190cc engine for $300+tax (down from $469.99CND). I know lots of people in this forum don't like craftsman so much, but is it really that bad?! Plus I believe it's not available in States.

http://www.sears.ca/gp/product/B002BKL4AM/sr=1-10/qid=1245460117/ref=sr_1_10/175-6313734-7666136?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=394759011

-Thought about cub cadet CC500 from home depot but after reading lots posts here, some gurus said the engine is a clone of Honda OHV from China... so I just kicked this out from the list. However, this is also recommended by consumer report...

-Lawn-boy 10640C from home depot with B&S engine. My local home depot stops carrying the insight line so how's this one?

Thank you for reading my long post, any comments will be appreciated.

Comments (11)