SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bethohio3

Just starting to make "real" dinners

Beth
6 years ago

I'm looking for advice.

DH and I go out to eat too often. I'm trying to turn that around, due to health, money, and time. It's the two of us at home, and for the next few months, our adult vegetarian daughter. (We are not vegetarians)

I started getting HelloFresh meals (we're on our 3rd set) and I'm cooking things I've never cooked before--and making combinations of food I've never made before. (I was pretty much an entree, tossed salad, and fresh fruit kind of person--not very exciting and not much variety) (Although I make a great spaghetti sauce, lasagna, and sloppy joes)

What I like about HelloFresh is that I don't have to think about it--all the ingredients are right there and the combination of food that makes up a meal is all figured out for me and I don't have to figure out what goes together. I also don't ever seem to have enough time to go to the grocery store.

However, I don't like the packaging overhead and there's a price penalty, of course (but still cheaper than eating out). I also don't like that I'm only cooking two meals--if I'm cooking, I'd rather make enough for leftovers. I'd like to double/triple up the parts of the meal my vegetarian daughter will eat so she can supplement it with whatever else wants.

I know that for many people, the planning it out is an act of creativity and brings great pleasure. I'm not one of those people :-). I also don't want to spend too much time preparing food (hence the desire to cook once, eat twice)

What guidance and advice do you have for me about finding menu/recipe combinations that are quick and easy to put together? Are any of the menu services worth it? Are there books/websites that say "here's your shopping list--make this whole meal"?

Comments (23)