SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cadweller2005

Fertilizers/Soil conditioners (Your fav brands, schedule, advices)

Hello Guys,

I am a newbie and know really little about gardening. I bought a house several months ago and planted fruit trees, mostly citruses (Meyer Lemon, Moro Blood Orange, Clementine Mandarin, Meiwa Kumquat and NZ Lemonade (is about to be planted)).

I live in Bay Area, Zone 9.

I bought Miracle Gro fertilizer in Costco first. Some of my friends told me not to use it since it was not organic, so I bought Dr. Earth fertilizer. My neighbor recommended me Alaska Fish Fertilizer 5-1-1 Concentrate. I bought it too, used them both but a guy from Home Depot told me that I needed to add some iron and Epson salt too. Also, he told me that he liked only Fox Farm products and I needed to get them too.

I am very confused now since I have really zero experience and rely on people and the Internet for any info. I googled this forum and found a bunch of questions and answers about fertilizers but the info was not structured.

Could you share what fertilizers do you like to use? When? What brands? Do you add iron and Epson salt? What else do you use? Etc.

I think even seasoned growers can learn smth from each other but for people like me, this info is invaluable.

Thank you!

Comments (4)