SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ben2ee

Looking for practical whole house water filter for good city water

Ben H
6 years ago

We're building new in Bend, OR. The water is in general excellent quality but does contain some chlorine. Finding objective reviews of these things has been difficult. Lots of click bait sites pretending to have reviews etc. Lots of very small outfits make these. Tough to tell the good from the bad. My only experience with filters has been under sink where it had a substantial reduction in water pressure.

I would like the system to

1. Not impact my water pressure much. I'm on a pump with a 2" line from the pump to the house. Presumably it'll get reduced at the house somewhere. I don't know what considerations we have being on the other side of a pump. It's not well water, we just have marginal pressure.

2. Reduce scale to plumb-in appliances. The water here isn't hard (1.5<x<2.5 grains/gal) but it still can leave films on surfaces on occasion. Perhaps not more so than anywhere else but I'd like to reduce any strain on coffee machines, dishwashers, fixtures etc.

3. Remove Chlorine. Our residual chlorine is .2<x<1.3 ppm. I don't know what level of chlorine is worth removing. Perhaps this is so small it's not worth the effort.

4. Be practical and cheap as possible to maintain. Last thing I want is more trouble than it's worth.

The systems I've seen so far that have a fairly high GPM flow are HomeMaster (smaller, cheaper but lower , US Water (looked good but heavy on sales hype), Sweetwater. This isn't unique to water filters but would be nice to see more 3rd party comparisons like SweetHome does. Aquasana says it doesn't affect water pressure but the GPM ratings seem too low to not drop pressure and the systems are physically large. I don't want it to take half my garage wall. Aquapure/Cuno also has large capacity stainless units (SS4) with different large standard filter elements (few if any reviews though).

Comments (11)