SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biwa45

Please help with new Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop so I don't go insane!

biwa45
6 years ago

My husband's laptop came today, and I (the computer "guy" in our house) have been miserable ever since. It is not only our first laptop, but our first encounter with Windows 10, and I am all at sea. I realize my questions are going to be all over the map, so I will give them numbers, in case anyone here is kind enough to help with any of them.

(1) It is touch-enabled, but how do I right-click? How are its workings different from iPad, for instance?

(2) I am not even sure how to turn the thing on correctly, having once gotten a notice that I had to restart. Brief push, or hold the button until the laptop responds? It is so much slower to start than my iPad or my desktop, it is hard to judge. And when I close the cover and the screen goes off, does that completely turn the laptop off? Is there a restart function available somewhere?

(3) Is there a system restore, in case I foul the computer up with some program I install?

(4) I also don't know how to charge the battery. Turn the laptop off and leave it plugged in? Leave it on and plug it in? Where can I see how much charge is left?

(5) I unpinned the Dell help and support icon from the taskbar, expecting it to reappear on the desktop, but it didn't. Cortana is no help whatsoever in getting it back. Where has it gone? How can I get back things I have unpinned?

Well, those are just for starters. I have been collecting articles on using Windows 10 for some time, but apparently I am ignorant of it on a much more simple level.

Up till now, I have regarded most of the challenges in dealing with computers as fun challenges (with the exception of viruses, blurred fonts, etc.!), but this laptop with this OS is an entirely different beast. I am afraid it is going to have a learning curve like the Matterhorn.

Come to think of it, when I've had to work on documents with the Japanese pupils I tutor, I have not enjoyed the experience.

Posting with appreciation for any help at all, and in desperation.

Comments (14)